Steve Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Steve Borthwick

Post by mol2 »

Th flip side may mean near bankrupt sides with no budget for players remaining in the league, keeping down better resourced sides from a tier below.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Constant churn of staff in the playing squad is part of our current situation, we need some stability as much as anything.
If we dont finish 9th or above next season then I would be surprised & worried.
Home performances first & not folding like a pack of cards away should be the aim.
At some point surely we might get the rub if the green from a referee.
SB has as much to prove as some of the squad.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

At some point surely we might get the rub if the green from a referee
Without wanting to instagate another refereeing argument, It really does seem that when you're down you get reffed differently. The luck just doesnt seem to come as it does with the teams at the top of the league.

Don't get me wrong I don't think we help ourselves, but I really do wish referees would referee teams equally. It would really help knowing how good or rubbish we are...
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

ads wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:58 pm
At some point surely we might get the rub if the green from a referee
Without wanting to instagate another refereeing argument, It really does seem that when you're down you get reffed differently. The luck just doesnt seem to come as it does with the teams at the top of the league.

Don't get me wrong I don't think we help ourselves, but I really do wish referees would referee teams equally. It would really help knowing how good or rubbish we are...
Totally agree. We have been unfairly treated this season, but I guess the flip side is that we probably benefitted in our dominant years.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

We have a group of players who, as individuals, are good enough to finish 8th+. Below 8th at the end of next season will be disappointing for me.

Now it's up to SB and his coaches to make them look like at least the sum of their parts.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

I’ll be happy with any improvement and let’s be honest, we are currently the worst team in by some margin. SB will not be able to recruit much for next season so is having to work with inherited players that are clearly not good enough. Add in long term layoff’s for TL & JT and anything above bottom is improvement.
I believe that is realistic, uncomfortable yes. SB will lead us out of this but it’s gonna take a lot longer than most people want.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Tigersunited wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:28 am I’ll be happy with any improvement and let’s be honest, we are currently the worst team in by some margin. SB will not be able to recruit much for next season so is having to work with inherited players that are clearly not good enough. Add in long term layoff’s for TL & JT and anything above bottom is improvement.
I believe that is realistic, uncomfortable yes. SB will lead us out of this but it’s gonna take a lot longer than most people want.
Steve Borthwick has been part of the discussions for recruitment for next season, prior to him starting.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

So we know our strengths and weaknesses from the restart. We know what combinations work.We are working hard on a daily basis.
Therefore we should be going into next season with an aim in mind.
What is that please?
I've heard what we have learned. I've heard and know where we have finished. A blind person in front of an elephant would be able to call that one.
I would like to know what the aim is for 2020/21. Not from posters but from SB.
Building is not a definitive plan.Talking up your job doesn't butter any parsnips.
I like others are getting a little tired of seeing cameras pick GM out as though he is the go to guy.A word in the ear of BT please.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Although Steve Borthwick was officially appointed in July he was involved with retention and recruitment before that, and with contract renegotiation he will not have too many inherited players that he disapproves of and he I am sure will have agreed the signings of all the recent arrivals. He has now had an opportunity to see his squad in match situations and I expect to see at the start of the new season his team hit the ground running (and passing hopefully). An eighth or ninth place may be an improvement but for me anything below 6th is not acceptable with the squad we now have.
Murphy was the one who inherited a poor squad and the Toomua Australia return situation, an on paper strong back line that never took the field together. Murphy also had to cope with starting a new season with the majority of his first team absent on World Cup duty and then as players returned and we showed signs of getting together losing players to the 6 Nations and the Pandemic struck. Borthwick has a great opportunity to succeed, to follow the likes of Deano, Pat Howard and Cocker not to win a trophy would be classed as failure but to come in now just finish 4th will make the man a hero. He could do it, couldn't he?