LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by Traveller »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:40 pm I agree in theory, Traveller. The Saracens and Exeter winning sides back up your argument. However, the players you list were coming into a dominant side and asked to maintain that dominance (which, eventually, they failed to do) - what we are asking now is for players to come in and become better than 8-10 teams who are currently superior and that is a much bigger ask. Furthermore, if your homegrown heroes are mostly either past their best or not quite ready yet, your squad players' performances are a bit underwhelming, and then you lose your superstars as well, you're in a bit of a pickle.

I'm only worried if those stars are leaving now - if it's in a years time then I'm pretty relaxed about it, although a lot will depend on the development of our current crop of youngsters. If Reffell, Lewis and Steward become as good as some expect, then Veainu and Taufua might not be needed by the end of next season.
I get your point and I know it is a matter of balance and Covid has really put the cat among the proverbials! t's just that I get frustrated when every signing we make seems to be greeted with a "he's too old', "he's too young", "he's never made it". We've got a fine coaching team in place, one of the very best recruitment people in the business in Jan McGinity, possibly the best S & C man in the world in Walters, and Borthwick who has been instrumental to Englands success these past few years. If we can't trust in their judgement then there is nowhere to go.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Traveller wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:28 pm
You simply confirm my point. It was about excellent recruitment; Allen, Salvi, Morris, Kitchener: Although none of that foursome went on to have international careers they were central to our success. The signing of Parling was fantastic, but he wasn’t an international when he arrived. The club developed him into a Lion. He said as much.

My only point is that success can come from high quality coaching and cute recruitment. However too often on here in it seems to be that unless we sign established internationals we are wasting our time.

What has let us down in the last few years has been the lack of abject coaching, which has resulted in erratic recruitment, allied to the failure to invest in the academy. Which is why I am now far more optimistic about the future - Covid aside.
Yeh but they were not 28 year olds who weren't first choice at their current clubs either...
As far as i'm aware the only issue people had with the current signings was Enever (as harsh as it might seem) which was your original point.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Anyone know anything about this?

https://twitter.com/CardiffChiefsRU/sta ... 08736?s=19

Can't see anything anywhere else but 'liked' by the club (allegedly).
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:28 pm
Traveller wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:28 pm
You simply confirm my point. It was about excellent recruitment; Allen, Salvi, Morris, Kitchener: Although none of that foursome went on to have international careers they were central to our success. The signing of Parling was fantastic, but he wasn’t an international when he arrived. The club developed him into a Lion. He said as much.

My only point is that success can come from high quality coaching and cute recruitment. However too often on here in it seems to be that unless we sign established internationals we are wasting our time.

What has let us down in the last few years has been the lack of abject coaching, which has resulted in erratic recruitment, allied to the failure to invest in the academy. Which is why I am now far more optimistic about the future - Covid aside.
Yeh but they were not 28 year olds who weren't first choice at their current clubs either...
As far as i'm aware the only issue people had with the current signings was Enever (as harsh as it might seem) which was your original point.
Not sure that I referred to Enever at all.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

POSTIGER wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:44 pm Anyone know anything about this?

Another quality signing ?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sapajo wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:34 pm
POSTIGER wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:44 pm Anyone know anything about this?

Another quality signing ?
I guess he’s joining the community coaching side of the house!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Anyone know if Gigena is back in the country?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am feeling very positive about next year's squad but if either TV or TL goes without another high-quality 2nd-row being signed I might have to temper my optimism. I like what Matt Scott has said today and that he is already here and look forward to seeing him and Manu together/
Hehehehehehehehe
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Todays 'Rugby Paper' (28/6/20) confirms the impending arrival of Montoya for season 21-22 and reaffirms our continued interest in Matias Alemanno , but makes London Irish favorites for his signature .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... eam-squad/

So as many as 12 players could be leaving.....
inculding England Internationals.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Wow, looks like we'll carry on as relegation fodder if we don't get contracts sorted then....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well a lot of if's or but's.
It's mid/late Spetember next season starts.
So 3 months to replace the players.

Also we don't know yet who.
I don't believe 13 players will be off, but I can see more like 5/6
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:45 pm https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... eam-squad/

So as many as 12 players could be leaving.....
inculding England Internationals.
Where would the England internationals go if they want to retain their international status? How many clubs have free cap space or even available funds in the current climate?

Foreign stars well there's some good offers out there at the minute, they could go get more in France or Japan.

Could be a very tough season for us next year if we lose big name players. There's some talent currently out of contract because of Covid but we'd not be getting anything like for like.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Dear Mr Borthwick. Just to let you know I still have my boots. If you need me, my position used to be left wing, however I think I'm more of front row shape nowadays. Yours sincerely....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

My money would be on as potential leavers
Kerr
Cole
Gigena
Lavanini
Liebenberg
Taufua