Jonah Holmes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Jonah Holmes

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:26 pm I disagree, at the moment Holmes is down in the Welsh pecking order, especially with the emergence of Rees-Zammit and was nowhere near any of Pivac’s squad selections.
Agreed. He's 28 this summer as well. Not one they'll be looking to build around in this world cup cycle. North and Liam Williams are of a similar age so Wales have their experience in the back three already. Josh Adams is a bit younger and LRZ much younger. Jonah is reliant on injuries to get a look in and even then there's Leigh Halfpenny lingering around. It's a lot of competition.

Also the Dragons, a team with very limited ambition I'd pass comment on their tendency to be at the bottom of the pile all the time as well but considering our recent form...
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:26 pm I disagree, at the moment Holmes is down in the Welsh pecking order, especially with the emergence of Rees-Zammit and was nowhere near any of Pivac’s squad selections.
Believe this to be correct ; also Welsh regions are kind of strapped for funds for a move at this juncture.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:46 pm
Agreed. He's 28 this summer as well. Not one they'll be looking to build around in this world cup cycle. North and Liam Williams are of a similar age so Wales have their experience in the back three already. Josh Adams is a bit younger and LRZ much younger. Jonah is reliant on injuries to get a look in and even then there's Leigh Halfpenny lingering around. It's a lot of competition.

Also the Dragons, a team with very limited ambition I'd pass comment on their tendency to be at the bottom of the pile all the time as well but considering our recent form...
Can any of North, LRZ or Adams play at full back?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

teds wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:09 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:46 pm

Can any of North, LRZ or Adams play at full back?
No but Liam Williams and Halfpenny can. There's also Johnny McNichol who was with Pivac at the Scarlets. It's why Jonah has been in squads, his ability to cover fullback. The Welsh like a crossfield kick as well and Holmes is good under the high ball as well that helps. Holmes is a good player and if he was a few years younger than it might well be beneficial to head to Wales. As it stands he won't make another world cup and he's unlikely to jump to first choice. It's probably best for him to go wherever he can get the biggest contract which given the state of the regions I'd imagine to be here.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So looking at the recent report about 3 clubs blocking the cap cut.

I have a feeling that we might be seeing Holmes off potentially being brought out of contract and could also see us using Browning as a senior player next season, potentially looking for a cheap cover could be Rory Hughes and or someone else.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I do not understand Exeter's position as one of the blocking clubs when RB is on record as saying salaries are too high. Totally understand Brissie and Bath not wanting it but reducing it at this stage with player's contracts of employment having been signed is fraught with difficulties. A much better idea for me is to have a freeze on the cap for the next 3 years - that will automatically reduce salaries ( unless boot money returns if it ever went away). I would also do away with the 2nd Marque player at the end of next season.
Hehehehehehehehe
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Looks like we are losing Jonah as well as Jonny UGH!
I hope the development lads and the others can fill the boots of two experienced wingers. I thought Holmes was still in contract though according to others on this messageboard.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52381515 :smt010 :smt005

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... r-18133763
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Absolutely shocking by all involved!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Could open the door for Ratu Naulago, but I’m just speculating.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:49 pm Absolutely shocking by all involved!!
What is ??

A player leaving to further his international ambitions, so Holmes is shocking.
The WRU for their ridiculous ruling, they’re shocking
Clubs who are having to cut costs because of the current pandemic, that’s shocking.
The Chinese for introducing the virus, that’s really shocking
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:53 pm
What is ??

Clubs who are having to cut costs because of the current pandemic, that’s shocking.
A club letting two starting back 3 players in their prime go at the same time is shocking mate yes relatively
Last edited by Scott1 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:43 pm Looks like we are losing Jonah as well as Jonny UGH!
I hope the development lads and the others can fill the boots of two experienced wingers. I thought Holmes was still in contract though according to others on this messageboard.

If he is out of contract then you have to wonder about the decision making. Why extend his contract by only a year before his Wales call up? Normal contracts for two years, why sign him up to less? We knew Gatland's law would kick in when his contract ended.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:57 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:57 pm
AngusMcCoatup wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:43 pm Looks like we are losing Jonah as well as Jonny UGH!

If he is out of contract then you have to wonder about the decision making. Why extend his contract by only a year before his Wales call up? Normal contracts for two years, why sign him up to less? We knew Gatland's law would kick in when his contract ended.
Poor from the board all round as per!
Most likely because Holmes knew his value would rise considerably once capped so why would he sign a long extension. And probably wants more caps so moving to Wales makes sense.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:55 pm
Mark62 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:53 pm
What is ??

A club letting two starting back 3 players in their prime go at the sametime is shocking mate yes,youre sounding idiotic tbf with your comparisons btw
If they don't want to sign a new contract there isn't much you can do. We can't force them to stay. Glaws offered more than we did and Wales would have ended Holmes international career if he didn't head to a region.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:02 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:57 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:57 pm

Poor from the board all round as per!
Most likely because Holmes knew his value would rise considerably once capped so why would he sign a long extension. And probably wants more caps so moving to Wales makes sense.
I'm sure he got a payrise as part of the extension anyway. Salaries are higher in the Prem than they are at the regions so heading to a region isn't necessarily a great move. Now he does want to keep his international career so has to head to Wales.