J. MAY ESQ.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: J. MAY ESQ.

Post by kk20gb30 »

rich1576 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:03 pm What really annoys me is that we lost a great player in Ed Slater for Johnny. He stays with us for 2 years, most of which was with England and now Gloucester get Johnny and Ed. Makes the club look at bit foolish really.
We stand or fall by the decisions that we make , though hindsight is a tremendous gift.Have to let go so as we may look and move forwards...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I was really sorry we released Ed Slater, I think we have missed him and I saw him as a possible captain. Having said that Gloucester in May and Slater now have two players aged over thirty that manage about 15 games apiece, other members of their squad are similar in age, it will be interesting to see with the rest of their recruitment and retention if they can achieve a good balance between youth and experience. Remember on form since England players were back with the Premiership Gloucester's form was worse than ours.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Just gonna leave this here:

"Every Jonny May Premiership Try So Far! | Leicester Tigers | Gallagher Premiership 2020"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGoJbo9jUHk

I'm going to miss the Ford - May combination...
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The mechanics of the return to Gloucester ???
Interesting read :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-rugb ... n-bradley/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Be careful what you wish for............
Player power with a CEO who controls... Who would have thought.......
Bearing in mind the new salary caps, how will Gloucs fair? I had great hopes for them under Ackerman and Humphries. They did lose their way this season - so now we know why - do we?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Meantime comes this news re Jonny May , and I believe that this type of re negotiation is taking place behind the scenes in an awful lot of places:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53190786
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

The murkiness around the salary cap continues...

Quickly extending contracts to get around the decrease in the cap is 'permitted' in the rules, but, quite frankly, I think the clubs are operating in a moral vacuum

On the one hand, (rightly) condemn Sarries for creative accounting, furlough staff and reduce wages across the board. On the other, give your highest paid players longer deals so that you can 'legitimately' exceed the cap in a few years time.

At least be honest about what you're doing.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... -the-lions

Great interview! If anything I have a new found respect for May, fair play to the guy, 100% improved in a new environment which was Tigers, now one of the best wingers in the world. Back to his home club.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Interesting interview - but somehow do not envy his position.An awful lot of (enforced ?) change going on behind the scenes at Gloucester, an unbalanced squad top heavy in the back division and a new set of coaches that many allege to carry a Cipriani watermark.I believe , for the sake of their internal harmony , that come the re start and next season they have to start winning - and quickly.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:17 am Interesting interview - but somehow do not envy his position.An awful lot of (enforced ?) change going on behind the scenes at Gloucester, an unbalanced squad top heavy in the back division and a new set of coaches that many allege to carry a Cipriani watermark.I believe , for the sake of their internal harmony , that come the re start and next season they have to start winning - and quickly.
He's not going to say that he gave anything less than 100% is he ? I've thought for a while that Cipriani is the main problem at Glaws. He runs the show on and off the pitch, in terms of training, structure and shape. Whilst it's great to have a 10 wanting to lead the attack, too much influence can be a bad thing. I think in his first season he was excellent, but since then he's become predictable with the pass behind prevalent and noticeably runs out of ideas when on the back foot. I was talking to a Glos fan yesterday, his thinking was they've gone down the overseas coach route, so why not try a young, relatively inexperienced group of coaches.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:38 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:17 am Interesting interview - but somehow do not envy his position.An awful lot of (enforced ?) change going on behind the scenes at Gloucester, an unbalanced squad top heavy in the back division and a new set of coaches that many allege to carry a Cipriani watermark.I believe , for the sake of their internal harmony , that come the re start and next season they have to start winning - and quickly.
He's not going to say that he gave anything less than 100% is he ? I've thought for a while that Cipriani is the main problem at Glaws. He runs the show on and off the pitch, in terms of training, structure and shape. Whilst it's great to have a 10 wanting to lead the attack, too much influence can be a bad thing. I think in his first season he was excellent, but since then he's become predictable with the pass behind prevalent and noticeably runs out of ideas when on the back foot. I was talking to a Glos fan yesterday, his thinking was they've gone down the overseas coach route, so why not try a young, relatively inexperienced group of coaches.
Totally agree and almost appears that Cipriani has hand picked the new coaching team.
I’ve mentioned it before, but far too often in close games he is replaced, not something you would see happening with other front line 10s
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

rich1576 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:03 pm What really annoys me is that we lost a great player in Ed Slater for Johnny. He stays with us for 2 years, most of which was with England and now Gloucester get Johnny and Ed. Makes the club look at bit foolish really.
He was (and still is) a good player.
Great? I would reserve that term for the likes of Johnno, Back and so on. But not for a player who wasn’t going to make being a regular international selection.
shedhead1

Post by shedhead1 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:58 pm Just gonna leave this here:

"Every Jonny May Premiership Try So Far! | Leicester Tigers | Gallagher Premiership 2020"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGoJbo9jUHk

I'm going to miss the Ford - May combination...
Nay lad - look at this link - cant wait to see him again in a Cherry shirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lC1npo4Uo0

Shedhead 1
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Can’t wait to see him tackle Nadolo :smt003
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 pm Can’t wait to see him tackle Nadolo :smt003
..... try and tackle would probably be more adept.... :smt003