J. MAY ESQ.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: J. MAY ESQ.

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

G.K wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:40 pm I've been expecting this and can't blame him, must have been annoying leaving Glos' for what he thought was a stronger club only to have had to endure the last couple of seasons at the bottom. I guess he didn't want to spend another season not getting the ball with the centres Tigers have and risk the drop to The Championship. No doubt Tigers will sign another journeyman winger from somewhere and muddle on. All the best Jonny, you're making the right decision. :smt023
Leaving a club who hasn’t won anything for 7 years to go to a club that hasn’t won anything for god knows how many years and still won’t win anything in the near future. In fact I’d go as far to say that May will have retired before Gloucester win anything, by which I mean the Premiership or Champions Cup.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Sad but unfortunately as the song goes thats “The Name of the Game”, quality player scored some crackers here and there, but have Tigers benefitted more with May coming here or have England? With Williams and Cipriani on the way out, Gloucester had the money we didn’t.

He gave his all when others didn’t and hoped will be remembered fondly especially for his first season but Browning & Holmes can finish 90%+ of the tries May so I don’t think his loss will be mesmeric especially when he was away with England for a significant chunk of the season.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:00 pm Sad but unfortunately as the song goes thats “The Name of the Game”, quality player scored some crackers here and there, but have Tigers benefitted more with May coming here or have England? With Williams and Cipriani on the way out, Gloucester had the money we didn’t.

He gave his all when others didn’t and hoped will be remembered fondly especially for his first season but Browning & Holmes can finish 90%+ of the tries May so I don’t think his loss will be mesmeric especially when he was away with England for a significant chunk of the season.
I just hope he’s not one of those players you don’t realise how good they are until they aren’t there.

I think YBY would fall into that category but many would argue differently I am sure!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Johnny may leaves us a better player than when he arrived. I m sorry he has gone but tend to agree with Big Dai that wingers just catch the ball & run fast whilst the real work is done elsewhere. We have signed an international winger as a replacement although he is older than Johnny, we have some young talent in that position who will get the chance to develop, who knows in a season or two Olowofela could actually be a better all round winger than May? The essential thing is that the cap space is used effectively to ensure our team and squad is stronger over all.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Jonny May - Prem try scored every 80 minutes in 2019/20, 100 mins in 2018/19, 125 mins in 2017/18, 103 mins in 2016/17

Excellent timing!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Sorry to see May go, he has been a class operator for us. However, that is the cycle of professional sports.
At 30 years old, and a current international, his value is high, and this may be his last decent contract.
We perhaps saw his international absences as a negative, and set a limit accordingly.
The reality though is this, we must have offered a fairly decent wage despite having already signed Nadolo, so that wage must still be available within the cap, so we have room to move. Whether we downgrade the level of winger to a project, or someone that has excelled in the championship, and reallocate some of the May cash to another position.
There was a comment around us going power on one wing and pace on the other, so with Nadolo as our only power option, maybe we’ll go after someone else with physical presence, having pace/footwork of Holmes Veianu, Aspland-Robinson and Olowofela already.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:57 pm Sorry to see May go, he has been a class operator for us. However, that is the cycle of professional sports.
At 30 years old, and a current international, his value is high, and this may be his last decent contract.
We perhaps saw his international absences as a negative, and set a limit accordingly.
The reality though is this, we must have offered a fairly decent wage despite having already signed Nadolo, so that wage must still be available within the cap, so we have room to move. Whether we downgrade the level of winger to a project, or someone that has excelled in the championship, and reallocate some of the May cash to another position.
There was a comment around us going power on one wing and pace on the other, so with Nadolo as our only power option, maybe we’ll go after someone else with physical presence, having pace/footwork of Holmes Veianu, Aspland-Robinson and Olowofela already.
Totally agree and neither Holmes or SAR are small specimens
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Whichever way you look at May leaving, it's a massive opportunity for someone else to really step up.
Not a lot of point in having an academy if they aren't going to get opportunities.
Here is hoping.
BTW do we get Polledri in return or Slater back!!! :smt025
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Sad that the guy is leaving , a world class winger , but everybody has a price and you have to want to be at and play for a club.Money can't buy desire.Also, we have to ask ourselves just how good has/was our utilisation of resources (in terms of back play) been over the last couple of seasons or so ? We have to be able to provide our wingers - and anyone else for that matter the - opportunity to score when available.Christian Wade was criminally under played at international level but his finishing was easily on a par with that of Jonny May, there are players out there.Leicester need to find another winger , a capable winger undoubtedly but we already have both Veainu and Holmes and an emerging Olowofela together with an in-coming Nadolo - its not all gloom.What we have to do however is make sure that whoever takes May's slot we are able to regularly supply him with quality ball.At which point this particular lament will be forgotten .
Last edited by kk20gb30 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BFG wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:40 pm Whichever way you look at May leaving, it's a massive opportunity for someone else to really step up.
Not a lot of point in having an academy if they aren't going to get opportunities.
Here is hoping.
BTW do we get Polledri in return or Slater back!!! :smt025
No point in Polledri coming as he’s an international. Apparently we shouldn’t have them as they only feature for some of the season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Don't think people are saying we shouldn't have them just needs a balance.
For example Tigers could most likely afford to have a Polledri since none of the other back rowers are away, BUT when you have 4 out of 7 of your starting backs away at the same time that's when things can really hurt you.

Look at Steve Diamond recruitment as an example of what you should really aim for IMO.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:11 pm Don't think people are saying we shouldn't have them just needs a balance.
For example Tigers could most likely afford to have a Polledri since none of the other back rowers are away, BUT when you have 4 out of 7 of your starting backs away at the same time that's when things can really hurt you.

Look at Steve Diamond recruitment as an example of what you should really aim for IMO.
Sign loads of South Africans? :smt003
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Not too sad to seeJM go. Loved watching him at WR and HQ. The Tigers need to build on youth with a few 'generals' dotted around to keep structure in the game. I would love to see Slats back but I doubt if he would even consider it now? Hey Ho on we go. If the emphasis is on getting the forwards to be dominant then the back we have should be more than good enough to provide the finish?

I sincerely hope C-19 does not inflict the same % as the estimated 2 million deaths of the 5 to 6 million population in the UK? 600,000 deaths a year is enough heartache.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:31 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:11 pm Don't think people are saying we shouldn't have them just needs a balance.

Sign loads of South Africans? :smt003
I meeeeeeeean :smt023
Louis

Post by Louis »

Regardless of others' views, I'm really sad about this one.

He is a mazy runner, and a threat all over the park. I realise we can't have all our wishes, but May is one of the players I'd really hoped we would retain.