Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Just for fun, can we see a Tuilagi/Nadolo 12/13 combo.😁
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

BFG wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:49 pm Interesting signings, I am not going to jump up and down until I see something to jump up and down about!
The Youngs Bros have been an integral part of Leicester's success over the past several seasons...
At 32 hopefully Nadolo is up to it.
Some Fijians aren't known for their dedication to training.
If he was army then I'd have less doubts.
The hooker I know nothing about.
The first class coaching and tactics will no doubt piece it together.
I'm never sure about foreign signings as the Premiership slog is very tough.
6 tries from 6 games in the Top 14 this season gives Nadolo the best strike rate in the league. 77 tries across 82 games in all competitions for Montpellier. Obviously would prefer it if he was 25 with those stats but I'll take Nadolo at 32.

From what I've heard we've got him on reasonable wage for such a well known player. When Cotter took over Montpellier he made a point of not overplaying key players like many French clubs do, rotation became more frequent. I wouldn't be surprised if Nadolo didn't fancy being played into the ground at a different Top 14 club during their long and attritional seasons - which are much more of a slog than the Prem!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Marvin Orie

Post by ABClub »

BFG wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:38 pm
norfolkexpat wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:57 pm Apparantly we have signed the Springkok lock, Marvin Orie, who played a few games for the Ospreys. The Rugby paper also states Murphy is on the lookout fora big No 8.
I'd be looking to get Ben Earl.
Massive workrate, physically robust, good brain and very pacey.
Even if it's only a loan to begin with these things can change in the future.
Earl is a star in the making. He looked at home when making his debut in a physical game at Murrayfield. I'd love him at Tigers but from what I've heard he's looking for a 1 year loan then back to Sarries.

Sounding like Bristol are going to use the cash they offered Kvesic to try to get Earl on a loan deal to cover them next year.

John Evely in the Bristol Post reported that Bristol are considering paying a £200k transfer fee for a loan signing as Earl doesn't have a relegation clause.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:39 pm Just for fun, can we see a Tuilagi/Nadolo 12/13 combo.😁
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.May 12.Nadolo 13.Tuilagi 14.Veainu 15.Steward

All jokes aside Nadolo played 12 for Fiji and I'd actually love to see that backline!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

ABClub wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:50 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:39 pm Just for fun, can we see a Tuilagi/Nadolo 12/13 combo.😁

All jokes aside Nadolo played 12 for Fiji and I'd actually love to see that backline!
Young Steward is a good prospect and has acquitted himself well given opportunities this season, however please don't forget Jonah :smt023
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Hope the Brink rumours are true as we’ve been linked with him a few times. I know he’s had his injury problems but the guy is a beast ball in hand and would be surely worth taking a punt on.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ABClub wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:42 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:49 pm Interesting signings, I am not going to jump up and down until I see something to jump up and down about!
The Youngs Bros have been an integral part of Leicester's success over the past several seasons...
At 32 hopefully Nadolo is up to it.
Some Fijians aren't known for their dedication to training.
If he was army then I'd have less doubts.
The hooker I know nothing about.
The first class coaching and tactics will no doubt piece it together.
I'm never sure about foreign signings as the Premiership slog is very tough.
6 tries from 6 games in the Top 14 this season gives Nadolo the best strike rate in the league. 77 tries across 82 games in all competitions for Montpellier. Obviously would prefer it if he was 25 with those stats but I'll take Nadolo at 32.

From what I've heard we've got him on reasonable wage for such a well known player. When Cotter took over Montpellier he made a point of not overplaying key players like many French clubs do, rotation became more frequent. I wouldn't be surprised if Nadolo didn't fancy being played into the ground at a different Top 14 club during their long and attritional seasons - which are much more of a slog than the Prem!
Yes both leagues a slog but the big salary cap in France makes quite a difference.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

If you’re putting Nadolo at 12, I’d put Holmes on the wing and Veainu at full back.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

fentiger wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:29 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:16 pm I think it’s pretty clear what my feelings are that YBY has re-signed, but he has been playing better of late and at least he’s not taking up as much cap.
Presumably..... :smt017
I think we’ve been very clever with Ben Youngs and Tom to be fair. Players earnings from testimonials don’t count towards the salary cap, so even if they’ve taken a pay cut, they’ll re-coup most or all of it back from their testimonial year.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The only thing I'd say re our potential back line is that we have to get it on the pitch at the same time - and get them all on the same page.Thus far recruitment more than adequate , which again places the emphasis on the coaching.Soon everyone will be running out of excuses.
Remember too, this season is far from over - so lets not start looking too far ahead.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

fentiger wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:54 pm

Young Steward is a good prospect and has acquitted himself well given opportunities this season, however please don't forget Jonah :smt023
I hope to see Freddie get game time next season alongside our international backs. He's the same school year as Louis Rees-Zammit and just as physically developed. Give him the U20 World Cup and a preseason, he will be ready next season playing alongside experienced wingers.

Another fullback who commands the air like he can would boost our back play a lot. Not to mention free up the possibility of Veainu on the wing where he's a lethal finisher.

Jonah is a vital member in the squad but doesn't have the same potential at 15 that Freddie has. If (still an if I know) we can keep May and bring Freddie into first XV rugby we will be much better set to rotate a strong and versatile back three.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:22 pm The only thing I'd say re our potential back line is that we have to get it on the pitch at the same time - and get them all on the same page.Thus far recruitment more than adequate , which again places the emphasis on the coaching.Soon everyone will be running out of excuses.
Remember too, this season is far from over - so lets not start looking too far ahead.
For me, it's not the first-choice back line, it's who plays when they're unavailable. At the moment the drop off is massive and it hurts us.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Personally, I’m just hoping that the Georgian hooker (I’ll get used to his name soon) is a cheaper option than Singleton would have been and that the difference will go towards getting May’s signature. Very keen to get that piece in place, and I’ll be seriously disappointed in Tigers if they let him slip away.

And I agree about the drop off.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Some good signings, hopefully Mamu can offer a significant improvement at hooker.

Nadolo is obviously very exciting, but if May might still be staying I'm not convinced of the wisdom in investing another big slice of the cap in another winger - that's not where our problems have been over the last couple of seasons. Still, it'll be fun to watch him in a Tigers shirt.

The Brink rumours are a bit worrying if his injury record is as stated on here. We keep taking risks on these kinds of players and it just doesn't pay off. Taute being the most recent example. We don't seem to be able to resist that gamble of a bargain when a players value has been reduced by injuries.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Interesting reading up on Marvin Orie, apparently very nearly made their World Cup squad which is no mean feat given their talent in that position. South Africa’s best defensive lock and very good jumper at the lineout. Two of Tiger’s biggest weaknesses so no wonder we’re looking at the guy.