Championship Rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Championship Rugby

Post by CitizenSmiff »

It would be a gut punch to avoid relegation only because a firm of money grubbing tax dodgers decided we should stay up. I'd rather see out my days watching us play the Pirates and Doncaster.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ringfencing will happen sooner rather than later.
It's reality.
Not the money in the championship never will be, and too much risk for those at the top now.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:32 am Ringfencing will happen sooner rather than later.
It's reality.
Not the money in the championship never will be, and too much risk for those at the top now.
Yep.

I’ve said it before, but the RFU Championship is not fit-for-purpose. It needs CVC investment itself, or to realise its position as a very distinct second tier.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:26 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:32 am Ringfencing will happen sooner rather than later.
It's reality.
Yep.

I’ve said it before, but the RFU Championship is not fit-for-purpose. It needs CVC investment itself, or to realise its position as a very distinct second tier.
Careful what you wish for as ringfencing the Premiership could possibly just be the start.
Some form of European super league is the desire amongst some but it'll likely finish up some half hearted British and Irish League dominated by the union backed provinces and super rich owned clubs.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Unfortunately the Premiership and the lack of a competitive second tier of English rugby is the problem here and now. In 20 years of pro rugby we’ve had success once with Exeter, and Worcester yo-yoing for two decades and never having got a decent foothold til now.

And then we have Rotherham, Leeds barely surviving and - dare I mention it - the ultimate success story that was London Welsh...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bristol is a success and it isn’t just a case of splashing the cash, they and Exeter have proved this is still a lot of talent in the Championship.

Christian Judge is an Ex-Cornish Pirate was a good find from Saracens, now at Bath

Piers O’Conor signed for Bristol from Ealing in 2018

Everyone on here has rated Boladau as a loan signing, he plays for Nottingham.

But the RFU has made an utter toss up with the Championship and now ringfencing, although a necessity will put nail in its coffin, unless of course the Championship is successful in any legal case.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Can't compare Bristol IMO.
How many times did they finish top of the championship only to choke in play off games?
4 times
Whilst it wasn't just splashing the cash having a billionaire backer who is backing bristol the city and sharing the main stadium with everyone. It changes a lot of things and Bristol have a historical support base.

Name me 1 other Championship team that has that kind of stability?

A handful of players from the championship shouldn't dictate the entire league.
It's harsh, but it's true.

I would rather see more stability in club rugby.

That being said I do agree with BFG about European super league most likely the grand scheme (I reckon SA as well) and that I do not like.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A British and Irish league will be bad enough with the Welsh sides dragging everyone else down with them, but a European Super League? Can't they see that Super Rugby isn't what it was.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

'2020 could see Premiership ring-fenced'- Ugo Monye

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50955072

Although this seems to contradict the Times podcast last week which said that if it’s discussed end of this season it’ll come into effect 2021. Who knows...?
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well if it does get ring fenced I won't be paying to watch the Premiership, either in person or on TV, that's for sure. So they'll need to make it all free to air.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Monye spouts a lot of rubbish, he cant help himself. I'm not saying it wont happen, but don't think Monye is giving some inside info, he's just reeling off the latest random opinion that popped into his head.
G.K wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:28 pm Well if it does get ring fenced I won't be paying to watch the Premiership, either in person or on TV, that's for sure. So they'll need to make it all free to air.
No offence, but I don't think that losing you as a paying viewer will mean they need to make it free to air...
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:04 pm Monye spouts a lot of rubbish, he cant help himself. I'm not saying it wont happen, but don't think Monye is giving some inside info, he's just reeling off the latest random opinion that popped into his head.
G.K wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:28 pm Well if it does get ring fenced I won't be paying to watch the Premiership, either in person or on TV, that's for sure. So they'll need to make it all free to air.
No offence, but I don't think that losing you as a paying viewer will mean they need to make it free to air...
No I'm very sure it won't make any difference but I do wonder how many others will drift away? I know quite a few that are already losing interest in Rugby due to the way the game is going. Also seen quite a few empty seats at WR already this season.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That's due to Tigers' form, not the future of the league.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

There are empty seats at Welford Road, but there are every season. If there are more this season it's more likely due to poor performances and the world cup, not a response to "the way rugby is going" - whatever that means.

Every day people lose interest in something, it's normal, they then find interest in something else. A lot of my friends and I lost interest in football some years ago, but that sport is doing just fine without us.

We all know that if you change something you will annoy some people who liked it how it was before, the idea is to change it to make it appeal to more new people than you lose. If rugby stays the same as it was in 1970 then pretty soon all the people who liked it that way will be too old or too grumpy to have a strong interest in it.

The only thing in life that doesn't change, that has never changed, is change itself.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

So a pretty good weekend for Tigers all things considered. The biggest positive was a BP win against a well drilled Bristol team and to leave with a 5-0 points tally was very much needed.

Other positives to come out of this weekends fixtures are Worcester and Quins getting nothing, Irish getting a single point and Wasps after a late scare only picking up 2. Yes, Sarries are bottom but I think we all expect them to move out of the basement before too long. The most important factor is us winning our games but it's always good to have a helping hand with other results working in our favour.

Looking at the middle/bottom of the table we have:

5) Bristol 18
6) Bath 17
7) Worcester 17
8) Quins 17
9) Wasps 13
10) Irish 13
11) Leicester 11
12) Sarries -7

So after 8 rounds we are a mere 2 points off 9th place, 6 points off 6th and 7 points off 5th. The 6N will undoubtedly have a huge impact on how the next few months pans out but things are looking a lot better for us, despite our current standing.

We have scored more points than Worcester and conceded less points than Irish, Wasps and Quins and our PD is superior to Irish and Worcester. After a very slow start we have also scored 10 tries in our last 3 matches and finally notched up our first BP.

Far from being out of the woods but some very promising signs. I just hope that the 6N doesn't derail our resurgence.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!