LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by loretta »

With regard to AWJ, in an interview in the 6 nations period he admitted to playing more with his heart than with his head. It seems to me that this is not uncommon in Welsh players and perhaps explains why they don't tend to shine (in my humble opinion) when taken out of the Welsh bubble. So, value for money as a Tiger? I doubt it.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:42 pm Just turned 21 in April.

He's a quick lad for a forward of his size, and did play wing before being moved.
https://youtu.be/ToF8GNczc-c?t=12

Shows his speed here.
Intriguing that one name that came to me on viewing was Tipuric!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:22 am Spend the money on a big back instead or Denton’s replacement should we need it.
Denton's contracted for next season, so surely if he's still unable to play at the by RWC time, then there will be injury dispensation leeway available (funds permitting). We may not need to replace him directly, but an (outside the cap) signing of a "big" player could be made to happen, with potential heavy front loading on the contract.

This could be how the AWJ rumour fits Tigers.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

The Salary cap regs prevent 'front loading' a contract when a player is a marquee. The converse is also true, i.e. paying a player £50k in year one when they are under the cap then paying them £500k in year two and making them a marquee.

I've quoted the examples given in the regs below. As usual with the salary cap rules they manage to make things seem more transparent and completely opaque at the same time...
By way of illustration only:

If an Excluded Player’s Salary in Salary Cap Year 2016/2017 (his first Salary Cap Year at the Club) was £500,000 and in Salary Cap Years 2017/18 and 2018/19 when he was not an Excluded Player his Salaries were £50,000, then in 2017/18 the average of £550,000 worth of Salary (i.e. £275,000) would be included in the Senior Ceiling as the Player’s Salary and in 2018/19 the average of £600,000 worth of Salary (i.e. £200,000) would be included in the Senior Ceiling as the Player’s Salary; and

If in Salary Cap Years 2016/17 and 2017/18 the Player’s Salaries were £50,000 and in Salary Cap Year 2018/19, as an Excluded Player, his Salary was £500,000, the Club would only be entitled to exclude from the Senior Ceiling in Salary Cap Year 2018/19 the average of those Salaries i.e. £200,000 and £300,000 worth of Salary would be included in the Senior Ceiling.
As for the Denton situation. If a player is injured for an entire season (i.e. takes no part in any game during that salary cap year) then their salary is exempt from the cap. So if Denton were to not play at all next season due to concussion Tigers could keep paying him his salary whilst he recovered but still use that cap space on a replacement.

All of that is of course presuming that the salary cap is being properly enforced...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:52 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:22 am Spend the money on a big back instead or Denton’s replacement should we need it.
Denton's contracted for next season, so surely if he's still unable to play at the by RWC time, then there will be injury dispensation leeway available (funds permitting). We may not need to replace him directly, but an (outside the cap) signing of a "big" player could be made to happen, with potential heavy front loading on the contract.

As I understand the rules were tightened a couple of years back when Sarries wormed their way out of punishment. Injury dispensation acquisitions should be of the same position and of a similar or lessor experience. Hence AWJ would not fit as Denton's replacement. I might be wrong though.

I did hear a rumour this is how they got Tigers to go along with the whole cap breach cover up because we had signed Thorn and I think Lote Tuqiri so they were going to get us on a technicality.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 am

As I understand the rules were tightened a couple of years back when Sarries wormed their way out of punishment. Injury dispensation acquisitions should be of the same position and of a similar or lessor experience. Hence AWJ would not fit as Denton's replacement. I might be wrong though.

I did hear a rumour this is how they got Tigers to go along with the whole cap breach cover up because we had signed Thorn and I think Lote Tuqiri so they were going to get us on a technicality.
Not sure how that is true.
Brad Thorn was signed as a short term Mafi replacement not injury signing and Lote Tuqiri as Geordan Murphy replacement would be very easy to argue given the back 3 shuffle.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:01 am
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 am

Not sure how that is true.
Brad Thorn was signed as a short term Mafi replacement not injury signing and Lote Tuqiri as Geordan Murphy replacement would be very easy to argue given the back 3 shuffle.
:smt005 killed that rumour. If only I could remember who told me that now.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Savea is staying at Toulon, not that we could afford him anyway.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rug ... ng-2954021

Would we want any of these 5? For me only Retallick - not that we could afford him but Santa really does exist
Hehehehehehehehe
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

trendylfj wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:45 pm https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rug ... ng-2954021

Would we want any of these 5? For me only Retallick - not that we could afford him but Santa really does exist
Thought Retallick had signed for a Japanese team
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Would take either forward. No need for the backs. In some ways AWJ is the best fit, we already have some big enforcers in Lavanini and Spencer. AWJ would be a leader and a great jumper in the lineout.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:59 pm
trendylfj wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:45 pm https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rug ... ng-2954021

Thought Retallick had signed for a Japanese team
Nothing has been released if he's signed for the NZRU or elsewhere.

Due to scheduling conflicts with the RWC being in Japan the Top League 2019/20 season will only run from January - May 2020. Rumour is that Retallick will sign with the Kobe Steelers for this shortened season as a sabbatical, cash in, then return to an NZRU contract afterwards.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Lam would be a good signing, maybe not the ballcarrier he once was but he was one of the best tacklers in the league.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Israel Folau is the one man I would love to have. Solid in defence, and can counter attack so quickly and skilfully. Just think what a massive difference he could make to us.

I really do hope he wins his appeal, as in my book,. on religious grounds, he has done nothing wrong.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:01 pm Israel Folau is the one man I would love to have. Solid in defence, and can counter attack so quickly and skilfully. Just think what a massive difference he could make to us.

I really do hope he wins his appeal, as in my book,. on religious grounds, he has done nothing wrong.
hasn't he basically been sacked from the Australian national team but is free to play elsewhere?