The Six Nations 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
WildGoose
Tiger Cub
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:48 am

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by WildGoose » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm
I think it's all academic now anyway. With only having a 31 man squad,the way Eddie has approached this 6N and the brilliant emergence of Wilson it tells me that we are going to Japan with 6 props and 5 BR (which is what I would do anyway) so bar injuries it's a shootout between Shields and Hughes for the last spot alongside Billy,Curry,Underhill and Wilson. Eddie could gamble and drop a prop and play Cole at LH with the mixed veg but that's a huge risk. But we have some great options for 2023!
I think Underhill might be the one to miss out (partly because I doubt he'll be fit) but you're right, the presence of Lawes and Itoje in the lock cohort (along with Launchbury and Kruis) suggests we can cover the back row with them so only 5 needed (19 forwards - assume a third hooker is vital too?)

I think the equation in the back line is more complicated to pick out with probably only 12 backs to play with.

I'd have assumed Youngs, Farrell, Slade, Manu, May, Daly and then Ford, plus Nowell, probably Te'o (EJ would, I wouldn't!) and a spare SH (Robson/Care?) only gives you 2 spaces, and only 2 scrum halves is a risk.

Try and pick two from Ashton, Brown, Cokanasiga, Joseph, Thorley and Watson, not to mention the SH debate (presume Care vs Wigglesworth). It's not easy!

Personally I'd leave out Te'o for Cokanasiga as cover for Manu (not positionally exactly but for a different dimension), and then add Joseph and Watson - Youngs, Robson, Farrell, Ford, Slade, Tuilagi, Joseph, May, Nowell, Watson, Daly, Cokanasiga, though JJ first man to miss out for a third 9.

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2560
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Scott1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:00 pm

I think the split will be
6 props
3 hookers
4 locks
5 BR
2 SH
2 FH
4 centres
5 back 3

Slade to cover FH and a SH "holidaying" in Japan just in case! The 4th centre could be Loz,JJ or Devoto

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2560
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Scott1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:31 pm

A big decision for me is if he just takes 3 centres (Teo,Manu,Slade) with Owen 12 cover and Daly 13 cover and he takes another SH. I would be more comfortable with 4 centres though.

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by biffer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:36 pm

strawclearer wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:56 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:44 pm
What's with the booing at Murrayfield every time Ireland get a penalty or conversion? Have I missed something or do they always do that?
'Respecting the Kicker' isn't a favourite pastime for them!
Murrayfield usually has a kind of general background susurration during kicks as the folk who only attend for internationals rustle their Werthers and ask Farquar how young Torquil is getting on at Fettes.

The boos tend to come when it's someone who takes a long time with their kicks - it'l usually start with a 'get on with it :censored:' and descend from there. Sexton always gets it because he takes ages.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2377
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by BFG » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:51 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:00 pm
I think the split will be
6 props
3 hookers
4 locks
5 BR
2 SH
2 FH
4 centres
5 back 3

Slade to cover FH and a SH "holidaying" in Japan just in case! The 4th centre could be Loz,JJ or Devoto
We're getting carried away with World Cup fever now, and no-one has played a proper full back against England yet, or even attempted a proper breakdown job!
Still lots to find out before Japan in my opinion!

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:15 pm
Location: High Wycombe, Bucks.

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Dangerous4 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:31 pm

A truly great showing from England yesterday, especially in the first half. A brilliant performance from J.M., who ran riot around the French defenders throughout the match. :smt023

Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:10 pm

What do people reckon the changes will be for the Welsh game?

Nowell to return to the starting XV with Itoje, Shields and Cokanasiga to come onto the bench. Shields for me offers much more than Hughes who has been a bit lacklustre.

Also wouldn’t mind seeing Ben Curry maybe in the 7 shirt for Italy, he has been good for Sale and the U20s.

ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by ellis9 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 pm

DingDong wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:35 pm
4071 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm
HantsTiger wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:29 pm


Pen try and Sink not going to the bin for being silly.
Sinckler's incident was never a yellow card. The only time that would be carded is in a bad-tempered match where the ref needed to get back some control and discipline.

I think we got lucky on the penalty try, mind. It was a penalty and almost certainly a card, but didn't look like a penalty try to me.
If ever there was a great example of how a captain should manage the ref and his own petulant player then that was one of them. Brilliant by Owens and equally brilliant by Faz. Sinckler was indeed lucky!
If Sinckler had got a yellow card for a tap on the head, I'd have gone berserk!!

That was never a yellow card!!

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3135
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by sam16111986 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 pm

ellis9 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 pm
DingDong wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:35 pm
4071 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm


Sinckler's incident was never a yellow card. The only time that would be carded is in a bad-tempered match where the ref needed to get back some control and discipline.

I think we got lucky on the penalty try, mind. It was a penalty and almost certainly a card, but didn't look like a penalty try to me.
If ever there was a great example of how a captain should manage the ref and his own petulant player then that was one of them. Brilliant by Owens and equally brilliant by Faz. Sinckler was indeed lucky!
If Sinckler had got a yellow card for a tap on the head, I'd have gone berserk!!

That was never a yellow card!!
Didn't Sinckler say something on the lines of "he hit me first"? There might be a lecture for young Kyle about getting your shots away when the officials can't spot them.

h's dad
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:19 pm
Location: In front of pc

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by h's dad » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:46 am

Dangerous4 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:31 pm
A truly great showing from England yesterday, especially in the first half. A brilliant performance from J.M., who ran riot around the French defenders throughout the match. :smt023
Yes, for those who like the technical side, here's Jonny May's heat map for the first half:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/com ... irst_half/
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3522
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by strawclearer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:20 am

h's dad wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:46 am
Dangerous4 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:31 pm
A truly great showing from England yesterday, especially in the first half. A brilliant performance from J.M., who ran riot around the French defenders throughout the match. :smt023
Yes, for those who like the technical side, here's Jonny May's heat map for the first half:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/com ... irst_half/
You can't help but think that maybe the Government has sent the wrong May to negotiate with the French!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

Scuttle
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019u

Post by Scuttle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:27 am

strawclearer wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:20 am
h's dad wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:46 am
Dangerous4 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:31 pm
A truly great showing from England yesterday, especially in the first half. A brilliant performance from J.M., who ran riot around the French defenders throughout the match. :smt023
Yes, for those who like the technical side, here's Jonny May's heat map for the first half:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/com ... irst_half/
You can't help but think that maybe the Government has sent the wrong May to negotiate with the French!
:smt038
As Good As It Gets

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6600
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by jgriffin » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:53 am

ellis9 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 pm
DingDong wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:35 pm
4071 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm


Sinckler's incident was never a yellow card. The only time that would be carded is in a bad-tempered match where the ref needed to get back some control and discipline.

I think we got lucky on the penalty try, mind. It was a penalty and almost certainly a card, but didn't look like a penalty try to me.
If ever there was a great example of how a captain should manage the ref and his own petulant player then that was one of them. Brilliant by Owens and equally brilliant by Faz. Sinckler was indeed lucky!
If Sinckler had got a yellow card for a tap on the head, I'd have gone berserk!!

That was never a yellow card!!
My comment exactly, but it wasn't even decent handbags. Owens dealt with it exactly and sufficiently, not a million miles away from real rugby reffing ("handbags, ladies, get over yourselves" etc).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2216
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Mark62 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:04 am

Agree totally that it wasn’t a yellow card, but wasn’t there a directive bought in a few seasons ago about pulling other players head guards.
That was what kicked it all off between Haskell and Marler a couple of seasons back and going back even further Ayerza and Marler

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2372
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:51 am
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Chobbsy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:31 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:04 am
Agree totally that it wasn’t a yellow card, but wasn’t there a directive bought in a few seasons ago about pulling other players head guards.
That was what kicked it all off between Haskell and Marler a couple of seasons back and going back even further Ayerza and Marler
I thought that also, the hit on the head deserved a penalty, but another ref would have shown the yellow card for the head guard pull as per directive, thanks Nigel !!!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anz3001, fentiger, kpj tiger and 2 guests