Dead rubber v Ulster

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Dead dead rubber v Ulster

Post by strawclearer »

The value of 'Fortress Welford Road' is incalculable - both on our psyche and that of our visitors.

There's only one way to rebuild that fortress.....
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:16 am The value of 'Fortress Welford Road' is incalculable - both on our psyche and that of our visitors.

There's only one way to rebuild that fortress.....
Amen. The Irish provinces would never dream of fielding weaker sides and rolling over at home and nor should we. The walls of his fortress needs rebuilding and our big names need to start using their blood and sweat to do so.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

MrPartridge wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:30 am I vaguely understand the approach today but this is a meaningless game, same as last week.
This week's game is meaningless to us but not too other teams and the competition as a whole.

Last week was a real dead rubber as it had no effect on anyone else but this week can meaningfully alter how the tournament progresses and as such were should play with as string a side as possible IMO.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I don't totally agree that the best players available must play today in order to stay true to the competition, particularly if you believe that the Pro14 sides are not totally true to English sides by resting players more, in which case why should we turn up fully loaded today just because it suits them!
However I do think that Leicester were so bad in certain areas last week that they have no choice but to play the strongest team.
It was shocking in some areas last week, were it to be that bad again today and Ulster are capable of putting 50 points on the score board.
The Leicester bench is very weak for today in my opinion.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

MrPartridge wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:30 am Just a small comment. Fielding a stronger team today is no surprise.

It was the same last year... all of the loyal fans we went to Castres in Rnd 5 had to suck up a weakened team and a chastening loss. Then in the Rnd 6 home dead rubber O’Connor put out the best team. Same this year for Scarlets and Ulster.

Again the away fans get a raw deal but we clearly must keep all the home fans happy with a strong side!

I vaguely understand the approach today but this is a meaningless game, same as last week. We get 1/2 of our key players injured today and the policy will look a bit silly won’t it? We have one priority for me: the league. Top 4 is the primary aim, Top 6 is the minimum requirement. Winning by 1 today or losing by 30 doesn’t change anything in the Pool for us.

There might even be a good argument to play the team most likely to feature in our next league game... it certainly won’t look much like today’s side!
Firstly, those that go to away games, have a choice. No one makes you go, you choose to. Just as I did for the Bristol game. You're going there to support Tigers, irrelevant of what players pull on the shirt.

Secondly, it makes a huge difference whether we win by 1 point or lose by 30. If we lose by 30, people on here will believe we are the worst team in the history of the game. We win by one and it's just about bearable on here.
Last edited by ellis9 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:54 am I don't totally agree that the best players available must play today in order to stay true to the competition, particularly if you believe that the Pro14 sides are not totally true to English sides by resting players more, in which case why should we turn up fully loaded today just because it suits them!
However I do think that Leicester were so bad in certain areas last week that they have no choice but to play the strongest team.
It was shocking in some areas last week, were it to be that bad again today and Ulster are capable of putting 50 points on the score board.
The Leicester bench is very weak for today in my opinion.
The bench is certainly lacking impact. Disappointed not to see Fe'ao covering loosehead he'd have added some ball carrying ability in the second half.

If we bring the intensity to the breakdown we lacked last weekend (outside of Evans) then we'll be ok.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:08 am
MrPartridge wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:30 am Just a small comment. Fielding a stronger team today is no surprise.

It was the same last year... all of the loyal fans we went to Castres in Rnd 5 had to suck up a weakened team and a chastening loss. Then in the Rnd 6 home dead rubber O’Connor put out the best team. Same this year for Scarlets and Ulster.

Again the away fans get a raw deal but we clearly must keep all the home fans happy with a strong side!

I vaguely understand the approach today but this is a meaningless game, same as last week. We get 1/2 of our key players injured today and the policy will look a bit silly won’t it? We have one priority for me: the league. Top 4 is the primary aim, Top 6 is the minimum requirement. Winning by 1 today or losing by 30 doesn’t change anything in the Pool for us.

There might even be a good argument to play the team most likely to feature in our next league game... it certainly won’t look much like today’s side!
Firstly, those that go to away games, have a choice. No one makes you go, you choose to. Just as I did for the Bristol game. You're going there to support Tigers, irrelevant of what players pull on the shirt.

Secondly, it makes a huge difference whether we win by 1 point or lose by 30. If we lose by 30, people on here will believe we are the worst team in the history of the game. We win by one and it's just about bearable on here.
I think the one and only reason for picking as strong a team as possible is the "duty" we owe to every team in the competition, we have a duty to try and win the game, try to restrict or otherwise Ulster, its the honest and fair reason.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

Good so far at HT, hardly a classic but we're edging it everywhere on the field. Cole is outstanding and I think we got away with the try as I'm sure Toomua was infront of Ford when it was dinked through.

We look more comfortable in defence and attack, depsite kicking away possession for the first 10-15mins of the game.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Going well so far. Defensive line speed has been good and we've created some half chances with ball in hand. The changes in recent weeks with players coming on to the ball at pace is a noticeable difference to earlier in the season.

Surprised that Monsieur didn't go upstairs for the try as MT looked slightly ahead of Ford at the point the kick was made. Glad he didn't mind. 40 more of the same please!
ashleytiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ashleytiger »

I agree (from over the Dorset border :smt002 ) about the half and the try ..... but they had a long time to look at it before Ford took the conversion.

Why wasn't that obvious knock on given ... any ideas?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Been very impressed by Fitzgerald and Kitchener, disrupting opposition ruckball, carrying hard and making their tackles. Fitzgerald especially has looked strong ball in hand.

Solid performance by Kerr too. What a difference 100% lineout ball makes to a team and it’s confidence. Rock solid at set piece.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Finally we're seeing the physicality and intensity in defence and at the breakdown that we've been missing. Putting Ulster on the back foot and forcing errors.

The kicking game isn't as accurate as we'd like but Ulster are largely being kept in their half.

Need to keep that intensity for the second half because Ulster won't lie down and they're a good team.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Poor crowd today
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:41 pm Poor crowd today
Still about 20kish I'd guess. Given how cold it is and it's in TV and we also can't get through I'm not surprised.

Bad error by Holmes for that try. Has to stay out the line and cover the kick.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

And we are back!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer