Ellis Genge: An Inspiration

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ellis Genge: An Inspiration

Post by Spicer »

The BBC have written an interesting piece about diversity in sport. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/46825022

Ellis gets a fair mention in the article. Apparently he gave an interview in the mail a while ago which the quote from. The first I've seen from it though.

Leicester Tigers and England prop Ellis Genge's interview with The Mail on Sunday in December struck a real chord with me.

"When I was 16, 17, 18, I never made any of the age-group teams," he said. "I feel that's because my face didn't fit. I'm not white middle class, I'm working class. I don't want to put it down to race - I don't think it's about that - but I'll put it down to culture."

My distinct lack of footballing ability growing up steered me in the direction of playing rugby union, but one thing that became obvious quite quickly growing up in the Midlands was that the sport was very middle class and very white.

It was often the case that I was the only player on the field who wasn't white which would sometimes lead to racist abuse from opposition players.

My reaction was similar to Sterling's - "you just have to laugh," the England international said. That is the same thing my dad taught me growing up.

That was when it became clear that maybe it isn't a game for me and something I can't progress further in. I wasn't white and I didn't go to private school: my face didn't fit in.

That's why it is incredible to see Ellis Genge break that mould. He grew up on a council estate in Bristol but is now one of England's top prospects.

For me, it's breath of fresh air, not only to see him doing so well on the pitch, but also to hear him talk so openly about his experiences of trying to break through.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Ellis Genge: An Inspiration

Post by ourla »

Spicer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:56 pm "I feel that's because my face didn't fit. I'm not white middle class, I'm working class. I don't want to put it down to race - I don't think it's about that - but I'll put it down to culture."
I'd agree with that. Hockey is the same, if not worse.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

ourla wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:30 pm
Spicer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:56 pm "I feel that's because my face didn't fit. I'm not white middle class, I'm working class. I don't want to put it down to race - I don't think it's about that - but I'll put it down to culture."
Turely? I know nothing about Hockey and had no idea.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Spicer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:48 pm
ourla wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:30 pm
Turely? I know nothing about Hockey and had no idea.
I don't play but my kids have played/play and I know a few players. It's a great sport but seriously white middle-class IME.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Sad but true. The last junior side I coached was truly diverse with players from both ends of the economic spectrum, from private and state schools, White, Asian and Afro Caribbean. They were very successful and a large part of this was down to their diversity and how they interacted with each other, we took them on tour on a number of occasions and there was never any trouble.
The only issue I can ever remember was playing away in the county where some comments were made to our Asian players, but this was dealt with very swiftly by the offending club.

We took the lads to the North East on tour and arriving at one of the clubs the sight of one of our players getting off the bus was greeted with amazement by our hosts. Aged 16 of Afro Caribbean descent this lad was 6ft 6 and 19 stone. The opposition coaches admitted some of their lads had never seen anyone of that colour and size before and the opposition were even having their pictures taken with him in the bar afterwards, which our lad loved.
The sad fact is that you see very few players of AC descent playing for junior clubs these days and practically no Asians and is something that the game as a whole should look into.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Very damning but it's nice to see that the Tigers are at least looking as though they are addressing it through the Swifts team.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Sport at selective schools still has a lot of kudos and often the facilities to match. Even good comprehensives don't do much in the way of organised competitive sport. My kids are currently doing karate which is really diverse. Athletics isn't too bad.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

We better cherish Ellis either way,we won't have him for much longer!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:32 pm We better cherish Ellis either way,we won't have him for much longer!
Is that another in your opinion Scott
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes just my opinion,but don't think he will re-sign (last season next season?)
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

On of the main problems in state schools is just pure lack of interest in any sport, that tends to originate in the fact that fixtures are usually held after-school and not in school time.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:36 pm On of the main problems in state schools is just pure lack of interest in any sport, that tends to originate in the fact that fixtures are usually held after-school and not in school time.
This is very true, also, and apologies if I’m wrong I don’t think teachers get paid for running after school teams clubs any longer, so the coaching supervision isn’t there
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:39 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:36 pm On of the main problems in state schools is just pure lack of interest in any sport, that tends to originate in the fact that fixtures are usually held after-school and not in school time.
This is very true, also, and apologies if I’m wrong I don’t think teachers get paid for running after school teams clubs any longer, so the coaching supervision isn’t there
Ummm, I don’t know about the teachers part... think it depends on the school.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

State schools are always on a shoe string re time and budgets, however the RFU should start with initiatives for 6th Form/Colleges, where a huge pool of untapped talent could also feed senior mens rugby by retaining players or introducing new players to the part of the game that is in serious decline.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:41 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:39 pm
Ummm, I don’t know about the teachers part... think it depends on the school.
I think the above just goes to confirm the reason why public school pupils get chosen, they have dedicated sports teachers, play matches in school time, with Saturday morning lectures to make up the missed time, play most matches on Saturday afternoon and some specialities, ie sailing, on Sundays.
I think one or two posters should take this into consideration when knocking private schools, they get far more intensive coaching than other schools or local rugby clubs!