Autumn Internationals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Autumn Internationals

Post by ellis9 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:04 pm BTW Ellis politically correct is Daily Mail speak for showing respect, and NOTHING to do with the mild banter. All of you should be ashamed for the thread interruption.
Oh here we go!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:10 pm
Soggypitch wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:44 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:54 pm
Thing is...if it was a foul that stopped a certain try (which it would have been) then it's a penalty try and 7 points.
Quite right Big Dai!!

England won by 19 points for Pete's sake. England were robbed v NZ but Jones didn't winge, saying you have to take the rough with the smooth.....and that was a match defining decision!

This was before half time, get over it Cheika and start coaching your team better, you've had a disastrous 2018 so stop blaming everyone else!!!!

As for Farrell, what a great tackle to save a certain try, not dangerous but possibly illegal, and he got away with it, what's not to like as an England supporter? They are not playing tiddly winks!!!! I can only assume that LE18 is not an England fan or in the ellis camp of Farrell hater.

Great win for England today, and Manu looked really sharp when he came on. After just 15 mins can't he come back to play at W Rd tomorrow?!!

Wilson man of the series IMO, but Sinckler and Farrell not far behind.

Also a good win for Wales (he says through gritted teeth). The gap between north and south hemispheres has never been smaller.

Bring on the 6Ns!!
I can assure you Soggy, I am very much an England fan, I have been for the last 76 yrs, but I believe in fair play. I am a converted Farrell fan, but I think this is probably his worst element, probably from his rugby league days? Its not the first, or probably the last, time he has body checked someone, I think its a fairly regular habit, but he gets away with it. You will reply so its not illegal no doubt?

Now if that tackle had been a pen try, and he had received a card for it, would the result have been so?

I want England to win, and Tigers, my wife and I will be there tomorrow, don't tell me I'm not an England fan, play hard but fair!
Just to add that if he was going to make a legal tackle he should have been leading with his Left shoulder and not his blocking Right shoulder.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:04 pm BTW Ellis politically correct is Daily Mail speak for showing respect, and NOTHING to do with the mild banter. All of you should be ashamed for the thread interruption.
I'm expecting to see your comment about being ashamed for the thread interruption on quite a few threads on here.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

LE18 sometimes you have to play hard and bend/break the laws.......it's all part of the game.

Do you remember the hand of Back?? Were you complaining on the way back from Cardiff?!

Farrell is not a dirty player, he just plays on the edge, same as a certain Martin Johnson, who was a hero to Tigers and England fans.

I believe you are an England fan, but you need to get real, players like Farrell, Johnson, Back, McCaw et al, are/were not only great players, they were winners, playing hard and on the edge. It's elite sport, it's particularly rugby, embrace it!! :smt001
Soggypitch
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Soggypitch wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:36 pm LE18 sometimes you have to play hard and bend/break the laws.......it's all part of the game.

Do you remember the hand of Back?? Were you complaining on the way back from Cardiff?!

Farrell is not a dirty player, he just plays on the edge, same as a certain Martin Johnson, who was a hero to Tigers and England fans.

I believe you are an England fan, but you need to get real, players like Farrell, Johnson, Back, McCaw et al, are/were not only great players, they were winners, playing hard and on the edge. It's elite sport, it's particularly rugby, embrace it!! :smt001
I was in Cardiff, in the stands and didn't realise at the time what had happened. Farrell's tackles leave a lot to be desired, similar to Lawes , but he has cleaned up his game.

Sorry that you wont be at WR tomorrow! We will.
Last edited by LE18 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:54 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:30 pm Foul yes, dangerous no. IMHO of course. Referee said both players dropped the shoulder and I believe the pen was for offside?

As for Cheika. What is the difference between him and the aircraft that brought him here? The aircraft stopped whining when it docked at the gate at Heathrow.
Thing is...if it was a foul that stopped a certain try (which it would have been) then it's a penalty try and 7 points.
Besides, if "ifs and ands" were pots and pans there'd be no more work for tinkers.

We watch 80 minutes (plus) of a game and try and pin the result on one so called turning point. It's the old causality versus correlation argument all over again. (AKA lucky underpants theory.)

England played Well, were the better side, and won.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

No LE18. I would almost certainly be accused of drinking or spying.....think I'll stick to the local pub!

Keep your nose clean!! :smt002
Soggypitch
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Soggypitch wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:06 pm No LE18. I would almost certainly be accused of drinking or spying.....think I'll stick to the local pub!

Keep your nose clean!! :smt002
Thanks I will.

Incidentally, and not really wanting to argue, what did you think of the "Maradona" goal, where did that fit in your bend the rules just a little bit etc.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I really don't mind seeing Farrell playing on the limit, maybe it'll go another way on another occasion and if it does hopefully others will cover him but there is little doubt that against South Africa and Japan and now Australia, Farrell has certainly put it on the line for the team.
The Aussie can moan but I don't recall their sides of the 90's being so conventional.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Back on thread though, I thought Ben played very well and was as sharp as a tack. Likewise Johnny May has
continued to get better since arriving at Tigers. The props keeping Dan Cole out of the team also played very well,
so much so that I fear he's not going to get back soon if at all. But he's not old for a prop and England's loss is our gain.

Manu wasn't on long but you could see the concerns of the Aussie backs allocating two or three players to him, leaving gaps for others to penetrate.
Although supporting England I had one eye on Mat Toomua who although looking sharp, was a bit disappointing.
A life long Tiger
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:30 pm Foul yes, dangerous no. IMHO of course. Referee said both players dropped the shoulder and I believe the pen was for offside?

As for Cheika. What is the difference between him and the aircraft that brought him here? The aircraft stopped whining when it docked at the gate at Heathrow.
He’s worse than Cockerill or Diamond.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Once again, at some point Farrell is going to do something like that and it’ll cost England an important game.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

biffer wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:15 am Once again, at some point Farrell is going to do something like that and it’ll cost England an important game.
That seems to be the hypothesis from some and time will tell.
The important thing is that he is putting himself in those positions.
Is it just wild play or calculated risks being taken, I prefer to think it's the latter and the consistency at which he manages to successfully pull it off would support this view!
Without him and his actions England could've conceded late on to lose against South Africa, might've struggled to get back into the Japan match and would've been losing at half time against Australia.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Wonder if Manu might have scooted back after 8mins action in 4 weeks to get on the bench today?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

So what do people reckon England’s injury free 23 is now? I’d go for:

Vunipola Hartley Sinckler
Itoje Kruis
Shields Underhill
Vunipola
Youngs Farrell
Te’o Joseph