Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: Autumn Internationals

Post by TTRITH »

Soggypitch wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:23 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:56 am
sapajo wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:54 am Confirmed Manu is on the bench.
wing and centre cover along with Farrerll
Manu is not a winger, EJ is taking a big risk with this selection.
Yep, I'm gonna have nightmares about him damaging that groin as he tries to sprint down the wing.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:43 pm
Soggypitch wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:23 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:56 am
wing and centre cover along with Farrerll
Manu is not a winger, EJ is taking a big risk with this selection.
Yep, I'm gonna have nightmares about him damaging that groin as he tries to sprint down the wing.
groan........................................ :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

My biggest worry is the Manu will come on at centre with 20 mins to go and will have the opportunity to hammer Matt and be successful - Matt out for a month with concussion and in the process Manu does his groin again and is out for the season.

As for F/B and wing cover, I would imagine that May would do the F/B and Slade move onto the wing with Manu going on as centre - not ideal.
Hehehehehehehehe
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:57 pm My biggest worry is the Manu will come on at centre with 20 mins to go and will have the opportunity to hammer Matt and be successful - Matt out for a month with concussion and in the process Manu does his groin again and is out for the season.

As for F/B and wing cover, I would imagine that May would do the F/B and Slade move onto the wing with Manu going on as centre - not ideal.
Same reoccurring dream/nightmare I am having...2 marquee plays, crocked in one game.. :smt022
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Yes, I've imagined trendylfg's nightmare scenario as well although mine's slightly different. Manu on in 62nd minute does one of those fierce no arms high tackle on Matt Toomua. MT seriously concussed and out until February and Manu red carded with 5 week suspension!
On the other question with the injury to Nowell and lack of back three cover on the bench of what we do in the event of an early injury to either Daly or May. There's always George to bring on at 10 and move Farrell to 15. In my opinion he's got the skill, courage & adaptability to do it.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Yes the bench options are tricky.
Manu is really only a centre although we were seeing signs of his old pace before England broke him again.
Likewise Ford can only cover centre.

Having both on the bench is restrictive and for me not a sound move.

Daly can play wing, centre or full back, May wing or full back (at a pinch). Slade could cover fly half.

Teo is just a poor man's Manu and can only play as a starter and Eddie isn't confident that Manu is currently fit enough to start.

I'm not sure Eddie can quite put a team or game plan together that doesn't have a bosher in the centres and it rather shows when Manu and Teo don't play.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Does anyone else think Jamie George has been well, average, this Autumn and in fact I can’t recall a good England performance from him in the starting No2 Jersey.

I think he’s overrated and is not good enough in the tight at international, probably if he played for the All Blacks that would be better for him because they like to ship the ball wide to the hookers.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:29 pm Does anyone else think Jamie George has been well, average, this Autumn and in fact I can’t recall a good England performance from him in the starting No2 Jersey.

I think he’s overrated and is not good enough in the tight at international, probably if he played for the All Blacks that would be better for him because they like to ship the ball wide to the hookers.
He's not as overrated as Hartley is!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:09 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:29 pm Does anyone else think Jamie George has been well, average, this Autumn and in fact I can’t recall a good England performance from him in the starting No2 Jersey.

Hartley has performed well for England this autumn bar his nonexistent tackle on Leitch.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Massive problem is that Jones ideal player is a jack of all trades and master of none.

Zero chance of winning next year with bits and pieces players lining up in unfamiliar positions.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

mol2 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:09 pm Yes the bench options are tricky.
Manu is really only a centre although we were seeing signs of his old pace before England broke him again.
Likewise Ford can only cover centre.

Having both on the bench is restrictive and for me not a sound move.

Daly can play wing, centre or full back, May wing or full back (at a pinch). Slade could cover fly half.

Teo is just a poor man's Manu and can only play as a starter and Eddie isn't confident that Manu is currently fit enough to start.

I'm not sure Eddie can quite put a team or game plan together that doesn't have a bosher in the centres and it rather shows when Manu and Teo don't play.
[my bold]

If he's not fit enough to start, he's not fit enough to bench either.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:09 pm Teo is just a poor man's Manu and can only play as a starter and Eddie isn't confident that Manu is currently fit enough to start.
I'd say Te'o is the kind of centre people have tried to make Manu. Te'o is a blunt instrument and will tackle and run into brick walls all day for the team.

As much as MOC wanted him to be, Manu isn't that type of player. He's the player you wanted when you're playing on the gain line, brushing aside would be tacklers who haven't had chance to line him up.

The Manu and Barritt centre combination worked previously. Manu and Te'o could work in a similar fashion though it wouldn't be good for the outside backs as there's no secondary playmaker to bring them into the game and Farrell doesn't have a particularly big passing range.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

You honestly think Hartley hasn't been excellent for England since he was made captain?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:05 am

You honestly think Hartley hasn't been excellent for England since he was made captain?
Correct.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hartley suffers from a similar lack of appreciation that Crane did here in that you can't build strong without steel, mortar, or glue as they say.
Some get it and some don't, some just want to slap that face, I mean very few facial expressions actually look improved in Movember but Hartley pulls it off!
Alright he has a bit of history with discipline but it isn't really that bad, most of it was conjecture, and come on did he really say that to Wayne in the final or did Wayne officiate like he thought he was the King of the Union back then!
My only problem (and it's a big one) is that I just can't get used to hearing that SH accent from an England player let alone a Captain.