Referees

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Referees

Post by Mark62 »

I don’t want to harp on too much about Maxwell Keyes but he is poor and like a few other posters I have seen him since his days in the National leagues, and he isn’t any better. Time for him to go down to the championship.

My question is more about the up and coming refs. With Wayne hanging up his whistle, and to my mind J P Doyle going back wards, who do we think are the best of the new generation.
I think Karl Dickson is doing well, certainly controls the game with no nonsense and has good empathy.
The other one I’m impressed with is Christope Ridley, but am I right in saying he can’t ref any of our games due to his connection with the club
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Referees

Post by Tomvarndell »

I know the ref was poor yesterday and made a few big mistakes but how bad was the dreaded TMO with our disallowed try. Yes everyone knew it was forward pass except for the poor ref and his pals but when I heard the TMO suggesting that our advantage should be called over I nearly fainted. Fortunately Maxwell Keys got that bit correct and awarded us the scrum.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought that CMK should've carded himself for a no arms tackle on a Leicester player!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:09 pm I thought that CMK should've carded himself for a no arms tackle on a Leicester player!
Very good but in all seriousness what was he doing there Thompstone would have been away with nothing in front of him
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:13 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:09 pm I thought that CMK should've carded himself for a no arms tackle on a Leicester player!
Very good but in all seriousness what was he doing there Thompstone would have been away with nothing in front of him
Yes assuming everyone had washed the butter off their fingers you'd expect it could've been a try.
I can only guess really but maybe Sir forgot what level he was reffing at and was keeping the game competitive for the children.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

If our missed tackle = Maxwell Keys mistakes then there would be cause for a thread.

As it is, his performance was pretty decent.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ourla wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:24 pm If our missed tackle = Maxwell Keys mistakes then there would be cause for a thread.

Sorry to disagree but he was shocking for both sides, if nothing else Sale have more cause for complaint that Tigers. Watch the match back and then tell me he was decent. I think you may find you’re in a majority of 1
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:51 pm I don’t want to harp on too much about Maxwell Keyes but he is poor
There are no poor referees in the Premiership, as there are also no poor players in the Premiership, only some are better than others. Harping on about 'poor' referees is only sour grapes, mistakes are made by ALL 31 people on the pitch, they're human.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

DingDong wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:46 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:51 pm I don’t want to harp on too much about Maxwell Keyes but he is poor
There are no poor referees in the Premiership, as there are also no poor players in the Premiership, only some are better than others. Harping on about 'poor' referees is only sour grapes, mistakes are made by ALL 31 people on the pitch, they're human.
Again I’m sorry to disagree. I have been watching Maxwell Keyes for over 10 years now since he was reffing at level 5, he was a poor communicator and lacked empathy then and is no better now.
It may of course not be his fault, he could have an excellent knowledge of the laws and has been fast tracked, but Spreaders needs to take a long hard look at him and a couple of others like him to see if they are really up to the job
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:39 pm
ourla wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:24 pm If our missed tackle = Maxwell Keys mistakes then there would be cause for a thread.

Sorry to disagree but he was shocking for both sides, if nothing else Sale have more cause for complaint that Tigers. Watch the match back and then tell me he was decent. I think you may find you’re in a majority of 1
I have watched it. He wasn't shocking by any stretch. The match and players were borderline shocking. Hence my statement above.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ourla wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:47 pm

I have watched it. He wasn't shocking by any stretch. The match and players were borderline shocking. Hence my statement above.
Well we just have to agree to disagree. Nothing will change my mind that he should not be reffing at that level
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ourla wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:47 pm

I didn't find him shocking but my expectations were not very high!
Still though I didn't expect a no arms tackle, could've even been head on head and reckless, any sign if a citing!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ourla your last you post has been reported so I am unable to respond directly.
The fact that you feel empathy is being matey shows just how out of touch you are.

The fact is the players want clear and concise instructions without feeling they are being addressed from the headmasters study.

As for me being a stalker I have been involved in local Leicestershire rugby since the early 80s so have seen many refs on a number of occasions including Maxwell Keyes.

How about you ??
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

So, throw out all these so called poor refs and what are we left with? Worse ones or non at all, what then, no ref, no game. Think players are more at fault than refs, we were very poor, Sale were no better, Warriors were miles better than us!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:05 pm So, throw out all these so called poor refs and what are we left with? Worse ones or non at all, what then, no ref, no game. Think players are more at fault than refs, we were very poor, Sale were no better, Warriors were miles better than us!
Better refs. Agreed about the players but a better ref leads to a better match