Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by ellis9 »

drc_007 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:10 pm
ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:49 pm
drc_007 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm I guess Cockerill had a bit of break with his trip to France, I know he was re-signed as a player but seemed to move to the forwards coach quickly.

With regard to Murphy, if the powers that be in Tigers thought he had the potential to be head coach they should have sent him on a sabbatical to the southern hemisphere when he retired from playing. A break from Tigers and a chance to learn new things, then come back after a year or two.
Why?
Need to be tested outside their comfort zone.
So you think it's wise to let a current employee with huge potential leave, to "be tested outside their comfort zone" for them to potentially do an amazing job elsewhere meaning they may never come back? Why not keep the employee and work with them to help them grow and reap the benefits ourselves instead of another club?
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Huw Jones deal seems to be off as he has signed a new contract with Glasgow, shame as he would have been a fantastic signing for us with Toomua leaving.

Who is the next choice as a real world class centre to replace Toomua?
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Richardfje wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:50 pm Huw Jones deal seems to be off as he has signed a new contract with Glasgow, shame as he would have been a fantastic signing for us with Toomua leaving.

Who is the next choice as a real world class centre to replace Toomua?
Plenty of world class players out there - but do any of them really want to come to Tigers? With our recent track record, they'd all have relegation clauses built into their contracts. This is what happens - slow decline in quality resulting in a failure to attract decent players.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:39 pm
drc_007 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:10 pm
ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Why?
Need to be tested outside their comfort zone.
So you think it's wise to let a current employee with huge potential leave, to "be tested outside their comfort zone" for them to potentially do an amazing job elsewhere meaning they may never come back? Why not keep the employee and work with them to help them grow and reap the benefits ourselves instead of another club?
There is always a risk, but the reward can be much greater. Added to which even if you keep them they can always be head hunted by someone else (who offers them the opportunity to experience something different).
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Lienert-Brown!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:02 pmLienert-Brown!
Anton or Daniel?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Now being officially reported that the Jones deal is dead in the water.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/huw-jone ... rs-reports
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

SRU upped the offer after the Internationals.

Guessing with his performances they didn't like the idea of Tigers getting him on a barely higher contract.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:56 pm SRU upped the offer after the Internationals.

Guessing with his performances they didn't like the idea of Tigers getting him on a barely higher contract.
Suspect it's what he and his agent were hoping for when he got involved in negotiations with Tigers. Wouldn't be surprised if his agent didn't leak details of the negotiations to light a fire under the SRU and get them to come up with the desired amount of cash.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:15 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:56 pm SRU upped the offer after the Internationals.

Suspect it's what he and his agent were hoping for when he got involved in negotiations with Tigers. Wouldn't be surprised if his agent didn't leak details of the negotiations to light a fire under the SRU and get them to come up with the desired amount of cash.
My money would be on a Tigers leaking it trying to get good news during this mess.
And like most bright ideas it didn't work.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:02 pmLienert-Brown!
Anton would be a brilliant signing. He's a player whose game I could see transferring over as he has a kicking game as well as a fantastic off loading game. He shouldn't demand marquee wages either. He isn't built for playing week in week out in the attrition of the prem though.

He was fleetingly rumoured to be considering a move back around the time Nehe Milner-Skudder rumours started circuiting. I've not heard anything since then though.

Tigers either need two centre signings (a starting 12 and reserve 13) or consider Worth as centre cover then sign a high quality utility back three player. Santiago Cordero would be a fantastic acquisition given he can play both wings, full back and 13.

It's a long shopping list, signings made need to make rotation more regular and that needs achieving with little security involved in how the club will play its rugby or who will run it.

I struggle to see recruitment improving as required unless a DOR with serious draw and connections to high quality players is brought in. Didn't Geordie spend time coaching under Wayne Smith just after retiring...
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Reported that we are about to appoint Smurf as permanent Head Coach - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... feats.html
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:15 am Reported that we are about to appoint Smurf as permanent Head Coach - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... feats.html
Good, fans need to get behind him and give him at least 2 years.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:15 am Reported that we are about to appoint Smurf as permanent Head Coach - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... feats.html
Have I missed something here, please what has Murphy actually done at this juncture, to justify a permanent head coach appointment other than being an Ex Tiger :smt017 I desperately hope Murphy makes me eat my words but I fear its a case of marry in haste repent at leisure.
Last edited by sapajo on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

sapajo wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:59 am
Have I missed something here, please what has Murphy actually done at this juncture, to justify a permanent head coach appointment other than being an Ex Tiger :smt017 I desperately hope Murphy makes me eat my words but if this is true then it fills me with overwhelming dread.
Agreed Sapajo. It seems like we're making the same mistakes all over again.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play