Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by RagingBull »

Dan isn’t the marquee player.

Cohen has confirmed at a fans forum that our 2 marquee players are the centres.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So which welsh region will sign Holmes?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:22 pm So which welsh region will sign Holmes?
I’m guessing best case scenario for us is he doesn’t get capped so can stay with us. Worse case scenario is he only signed a 2 year deal and gets capped so will be moving to Wales end of the season.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:54 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:22 pm So which welsh region will sign Holmes?
I’m guessing best case scenario for us is he doesn’t get capped so can stay with us. Worse case scenario is he only signed a 2 year deal and gets capped so will be moving to Wales end of the season.
Swap deal with Scarlets for Johnny McNicol would do me.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Fissler in TRP...

"Leicester Tigers have enquired about the post-World Cup availability of Springbok lock Eben Etzebeth.

The 26-year-old, rated as one of the best players in the world, is out of contract next year and had been linked with a money-spinning move to Toulon.

It has been reported that he has been offered around £900,000 a season to switch to the Côte d’Azur although our sources have poured cold water on those figures.

Blindside has been told, however, that the Tigers are willing to spend big on a marquee player and have sounded him out about his future plans."

Can anyone else smell 'Agent'?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:25 pm Fissler in TRP...

"Leicester Tigers have enquired about the post-World Cup availability of Springbok lock Eben Etzebeth.

The 26-year-old, rated as one of the best players in the world, is out of contract next year and had been linked with a money-spinning move to Toulon.

It has been reported that he has been offered around £900,000 a season to switch to the Côte d’Azur although our sources have poured cold water on those figures.

Blindside has been told, however, that the Tigers are willing to spend big on a marquee player and have sounded him out about his future plans."

Certainly can. I hope there's a small part of truth in it though and we are seeking out tight five power to spend out funds upon instead of a centre.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:25 pm Fissler in TRP...

Stupid agent then, Bristol or Bath would be more realistic if they wanted to price bump.

Suspect it’s a case of Tigers enquiring in the small hope he might actually want to come, nothing more than that.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Very pleased for the lad but will be very disappointed to see him go, if he does? Seeing youngsters getting a chance at top level WR is brilliant.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

I'd love it if we signed Etzebeth as a marquee player. We've got more than enough quality in the back line (even without Toomua) and bolstering the pack with a beast like him would surely enable us to get the ball to them more often. The prospect of Etzebeth alongside Spencer is pretty mouth-watering.
Toomua is a top quality player and I'm sad to see him go but I honestly don't think we need to replace him with another marquee centre. When he was in at FH for Ford the team played well and strung a couple of wins together but some people seem to forget that in each case the opposition were depleted due to call-ups & injuries. Other than that the guys who have covered his international and injury absences have done themselves no harm and Eastmond has been class since his arrival.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Almost certainly agent skullduggery but if the interest was genuine then this would be a huge statement of intent by the club.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I would suggest if its a money based move for Etezebeth we will be priced out (personally I don't think he is that good).

Why not splash the cash for all 3 Barrett brothers?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

It appears that EJ may have decided Dan Cole is now surplus to requirements. If so, that's to our advantage imho.

It used to be said that a prop only reached his peak in his 30's. I may be out by the odd year but, from memory, Jason Leonard was 36 I think when he played his last international; Julian White was 30 when he came to Tigers where he played 9 years and became a bit of a legend!

Dan Cole is 31. In his twilight years or simply tired from being over-played by club and country?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Keep Cole at Welford Road and he'll be better for it than going to England training camps.
We'll get another 6 years out of him with no international commitment.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:36 pm I would suggest if its a money based move for Etezebeth we will be priced out (personally I don't think he is that good).

Why not splash the cash for all 3 Barrett brothers?
No chance of tempting them away from the All Blacks for at least the next five years I wouldn't have thought. If Beauden decided to go now then the money for him would be massive. How much did Wasps spend on the guy that couldn't take the AB shirt off him?

His brothers are pretty handy themselves and ABs are not generally cheap. Signing his brothers but not Beauden would pretty much sort our squad needs bar the front row (allowing for Holmes and Fitzgerald leaving).
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

POSTIGER wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:50 pm Almost certainly agent skullduggery but if the interest was genuine then this would be a huge statement of intent by the club.
This seems to be true and there is no chance of signing him - https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springb ... p-20181019
Hehehehehehehehe