LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 1

Post by fortysix »

If we didnt have Genge in our line up, we would be the most well mannered, unenforcing pack in the Premiership.
We actually need 7 more Genges.....
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:39 pm And if MJ had played the way he did under today’s laws and the use of tv officials how many games do you think he would have finished??.
From the days when rugby was a proper game (still is further down the leagues) and not a badly refereed 'entertainment', virtually nobody would survive a month without suspension. And scrums would be a restart not a big blank space..........
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:39 pm And if MJ had played the way he did under today’s laws and the use of tv officials how many games do you think he would have finished??.
Johnno played up to the limits of the laws as they were interpreted then. The entire Tigers pack played like that. Ireland and New Zealand do now. Go back and watch the Lions series, Brodie Retallick is far from an angel. It's the intelligence to know the laws and the limits of the ref and then play there. You don't have to go round throwing punches to get in the face of and intimidate the opposition.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I think that is an exaggeration as I don't recall it being that bad.
Players were sent off then and they are now, only difference being they're sent off mostly for repeated technical offences these days, and it's the repetitive nature of the offences which brings the level of the game right down in my opinion.
They used to say the cream rises to the top, well I think nowadays it's close to being fully skimmed by coaching and the rugby is not as whole as a result.
You can get picked for age grade representative because you are big or fast these days and not because you are a good rugby player.
Anyway on topic I do see a slight return to a more old fashioned player in some of Leicester's more recent recruitment and others such as the French U20's and long may it continue as it's a good thing for the game in my opinion.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:13 am
Players were sent off then and they are now, only difference being they're sent off mostly for repeated technical offences these days, and it's the repetitive nature of the offences which brings the level of the game right down in my opinion.
They used to say the cream rises to the top, well I think nowadays it's close to being fully skimmed by coaching and the rugby is not as whole as a result.
Anyway on topic I do see a slight return to a more old fashioned player in some of Leicester's more recent recruitment and others such as the French U20's and long may it continue as it's a good thing for the game in my opinion.
We were discussing this earlier, and Mrs G said IF we don't have a Biblical injury plague AND we have the best players selected (with a recognised 7) and not MOC's 'favourites', then we have a crack at the playoff final. Europe seemed good till we drew Ulster at the death, so that's in the lap of the gods.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 am We were discussing this earlier, and Mrs G said IF we don't have a Biblical injury plague AND we have the best players selected (with a recognised 7) and not MOC's 'favourites', then we have a crack at the playoff final. Europe seemed good till we drew Ulster at the death, so that's in the lap of the gods.
I think Mrs G's spot on! (At least we now know where your better ideas come from!)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

But what is our best team?

Because I think we should start the season (assuming all fit):

15. Telusa Veaniu
14. Jonah Holmes
13. Manu Tuilagi
12. Matt Toomua (c)
11. Jonny May
10. George Ford
9. Ben Youngs
1. Ellis Genge
2. Tatafu Polata-Nau
3. Dan Cole
4. Harry Wells
5. Will Spencer
6. Sione Kalamafoni
7. Brendan O'Connor
8. Guy Thompson

16. Tom Youngs
17. Greg Bateman
18. New prop
19. Graham Kitchener
20. David Denton
21. Sam Harrison
22. Tom Hardwick
23. Mathew Tait
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 am
BFG wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:13 am
We were discussing this earlier, and Mrs G said IF we don't have a Biblical injury plague AND we have the best players selected (with a recognised 7) and not MOC's 'favourites', then we have a crack at the playoff final. Europe seemed good till we drew Ulster at the death, so that's in the lap of the gods.
Yes no doubt she is right.
Injuries will happen, that's why I think it's important to hit the ground running with the form players no matter who they are and what their name is.
That insistence on picking poor performers and hoping that they would turn up cost precious points last season.
They have a good squad so use it and if someone is not having a good game this season then get them off ASAP, and make them earn their place.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

TTRITH is not far out in his selection in my opinion although I would have Kitch in for Wells with Fitzgerald on the bench and start with Denton at 6 Kalamafoni at 8 and have Thompson on the bench. I think the squad is getting near to a side that can rotate players who need a rest or are out of form without lowering overall quality or causing positional changes.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So sounds like Keston Lines has been promoted from the U18's.
Guessing Direct replacement for Betts pretty much (Although Lines more a LH).

Also good news on the rehab front Evans is off crutches and Genge is lifting his leg looking at Instagram.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I am a big fan of brocks as you all know,it gives you flexibility in the starting lineup and/or bench so would always like to see Williams,Fitzy and Wells around the squad. A much as I rate Evans I'm not a fan of having an openside on the bench. If BoC was injured early Thompson can cover there and Denton could come on at 8 or move Kala there and bring a brock on.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’d have Denton at 8 and Kala at 6, Evans made a huge impact every time he came off the bench last season so having him at 20 is not the end of the world. Would really like to see O’Connor play one game then evans the next (like TPN and Youngs last year).

Anyone else other than this Keaton fellow up for for promotion to the D Squad, Jordan surely?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:36 pm Anyone else other than this Keaton fellow up for for promotion to the D Squad, Jordan surely?
It sounded like around 6 where being promoted.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tah RB, Tigers have released another article about Ged Glynn waxing lyrical about the Academy and D Squad but all I want to know is who is getting promoted!!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

So Thompson doesn't even get on your bench JP?