Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Six Nations Thread

Post by biffer »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:41 pm
biffer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:58 am
Soggypitch wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:24 am EJ accusing Alun Wyn of intimidating referee;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... imidating/

I sort of got his "attack" on Patchell, young inexperienced 10, under massive scrutiny at Twickenham, but not so sure about this latest rant......

Still who am I to question Eddie's tactics, either during or before a game.

It's just losing to Wales is a nightmare anyway and if we do so after these comments, it will be even worse!!

Therein lies the difference I guess, Eddie never thinks for one moment that he will lose, whereas my natural pessimism (on rugby anyway)....... :smt009
It's about the particular incident towards the end of the game where AWJ was deliberately standing over the ball while Russell was waiting to take the conversion. The ref had stopped to check something but AWJ was guilty of a bit of gamesmanship in deliberately disturbing the kicker's prep / routine.
If Russell were more astute he's have kicked the ball against AWJ.

1 - Conversion has been taken so try can't be checked
2 - AWJ in trouble for not being on the try line

if AWJ wants to start playing games then just outsmart him
Ref had already said to Russell to wait though. But AWJ trying to get involved in the decision making, as usual, and get into the goal kicker's mind. He'd need to find Finn's mind first though, most of us are never really sure where it is.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

good finish Jonny May
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:03 pm good finish Jonny May
...which one? :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

One thing that continually frustrates me is when Youngs and Ford are playing for England box kicks are ferociously chased down. May and Watson regularly rising to challenge for the ball. When Tigers kick the ball the rest of the team seem to amble slowly after the ball, this must be a deliberate tactic but why?
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

drc_007 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:58 pm One thing that continually frustrates me is when Youngs and Ford are playing for England box kicks are ferociously chased down. May and Watson regularly rising to challenge for the ball. When Tigers kick the ball the rest of the team seem to amble slowly after the ball, this must be a deliberate tactic but why?
Considering many of our performances this season I would suggest apathy.
I'm not cynical just experienced
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

drc_007 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:58 pm One thing that continually frustrates me is when Youngs and Ford are playing for England box kicks are ferociously chased down. May and Watson regularly rising to challenge for the ball. When Tigers kick the ball the rest of the team seem to amble slowly after the ball, this must be a deliberate tactic but why?
Inferior coaching?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

mol2 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:01 pm Not sure why anyone would suggest May should be dropped.
**Agreed two great tries and pace, always looking for the ball, great Tiger!
I would play Watson at full back and Nowell on the wing.
For me Brown is not the player he was.
** No? Well today he was Man of the Match and great under the high ball- so well played Brown, but he still likes a handbag or two! :smt002
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

chewbacca wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:01 pm
Considering many of our performances this season I would suggest apathy.
Are Leicester doing a Bath to get rid of MOC?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

What are people’s thoughts on the disallowed try? When I first saw it I thought it was a try and Wales were hard done by. However, having watched it this morning, I think the correct decision was given as it looked like Watson’s right hand touched the ball first.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:03 am What are people’s thoughts on the disallowed try? When I first saw it I thought it was a try and Wales were hard done by. However, having watched it this morning, I think the correct decision was given as it looked like Watson’s right hand touched the ball first.
There was some doubt over downward pressure, but I think it was a try. I'd have given it.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:12 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:03 am What are people’s thoughts on the disallowed try? When I first saw it I thought it was a try and Wales were hard done by. However, having watched it this morning, I think the correct decision was given as it looked like Watson’s right hand touched the ball first.
There was some doubt over downward pressure, but I think it was a try. I'd have given it.
Agreed, the Welsh guy's hand got there first
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Spicer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:14 am [quote=Tiglon post_id=684693 time=<a href="tel:1518343952">1518343952</a> user_id=9329]
[quote=Leicestertinytiger post_id=684689 time=<a href="tel:1518343408">1518343408</a> user_id=12366]
What are people’s thoughts on the disallowed try? When I first saw it I thought it was a try and Wales were hard done by. However, having watched it this morning, I think the correct decision was given as it looked like Watson’s right hand touched the ball first.
[/quote]
[/quote]
The commentators explanation is that downward pressure is no longer the rule you have to have control of the ball as its grounded, and it was said that 2 fingers on the side of the ball didnt constitute control. Still i would have been annoyed aswell had it not been given to england.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:34 am
Spicer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:14 am [quote=Tiglon post_id=684693 time=<a href="tel:1518343952">1518343952</a> user_id=9329]
[quote=Leicestertinytiger post_id=684689 time=<a href="tel:1518343408">1518343408</a> user_id=12366]
[/quote]
The commentators explanation is that downward pressure is no longer the rule you have to have control of the ball as its grounded, and it was said that 2 fingers on the side of the ball didnt constitute control. Still i would have been annoyed aswell had it not been given to england.
[/quote]
...all of which is irrelevant because Steff Evans knocked the ball on first. Right decision; wrong reason.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

it came off the wingers knee that isn't a knock on, England simply got away with one there
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:57 pm...all of which is irrelevant because Steff Evans knocked the ball on first. Right decision; wrong reason.
Came off Evans' knee IMO.

I think it was a try and would have been annoyed if it went against my team. But, it's academic, as EJ said, we have a TMO up there to make the decisions and he has all the time in the World to make those decisions. TMO decisions seem to balance out, fans of the 'hurt' team/club/province/region/country blow in the wind....and I include myself in that assessment.

Good to see EJ dismissing Sonia McLoughlin too, "he's answered my question and I don't like it so let's ask again" - seem to remember her doing that to MJ and getting similar treatment.....annoying and weak/populist journalism. Good Aussie indifference on show there - along with a bit of not so veiled disdain! If it had gone the other way it would have been Kiwi indifference and disdain on show....make no mistake, along with lots of Valleys gloating.

Right or Wrong.... it's done.

Sam Warburton says he "feels for the Welsh boys"...shock horror, I would expect nothing less, would expect Jonny Wilkinson to say similar if it was the other way around.

As an aside, It could be viewed that if Scott Williams (a (quick) centre) could finish properly and not get caught by Sam Underhill (a flanker) - who was sitting down and gave Williams/Wales a head start when the Welsh move started - then there'd be less talk of the TMO decision* - it wouldn't be classed as a 'match defining moment', rather than glossing over a bit of complacency and thinking it was job done. Sam Warburton was just in awe of Underhill on a replay as he hadn't realised he was on his jacksy before getting back - fair play to Warburton.

Failed to take a golden chance to score a try so revert to mentioning / blaming controversy for a loss.

*I actually think Underhill's defence was phenomenal (almost superhuman) - comment was a bit tongue in cheek - and Centres/flankers are similar IMO (almost interchangeable) so similar (loosely speaking) performance expected, still had a head start though :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.