League table

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: League table

Post by 4 »

Except you can hardly call him “lucky”, he planned it like this; MOC said after we lost Blaze that he would prioritise the right candidate over available ones for forwards coach. He knew that may take time but wanted the right man in. Since he brought what he thought was the right man in, the forwards have improved no end and so the results have improved.

On that specific point I think it is a pretty positive outcome for a director of rugby. That’s the type of call you pay the £££ for so he serves credit rather than the attribution of luck.

Obviously Bakewell’s influence may wane over time, but we can’t call MOC a lucky boy at this point and claim it is someone else’s doing - it’s his job to make the calls to improve performance and the team, and so far in dealing with the forwards coach issue he has been proven right. He was put in a tough spot when Blaze left given he had assessed his coaching team prior to this season and it was settled - it looks like he made the right call to me (regardless of the outcome of the next 3-5 games) despite our frustrations through the bad patches.

Not sure why this made me post for first time in about a decade, but there you go!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

4 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:17 am Except you can hardly call him “lucky”, he planned it like this; MOC said after we lost Blaze that he would prioritise the right candidate over available ones for forwards coach. He knew that may take time but wanted the right man in. Since he brought what he thought was the right man in, the forwards have improved no end and so the results have improved.

On that specific point I think it is a pretty positive outcome for a director of rugby. That’s the type of call you pay the £££ for so he serves credit rather than the attribution of luck.

Obviously Bakewell’s influence may wane over time, but we can’t call MOC a lucky boy at this point and claim it is someone else’s doing - it’s his job to make the calls to improve performance and the team, and so far in dealing with the forwards coach issue he has been proven right. He was put in a tough spot when Blaze left given he had assessed his coaching team prior to this season and it was settled - it looks like he made the right call to me (regardless of the outcome of the next 3-5 games) despite our frustrations through the bad patches.

Not sure why this made me post for first time in about a decade, but there you go!
Agreed

Sometimes, in the eyes of some fans, MOC can’t win regardless.

It seems as though if we lose its definitively MOCs fault and if we win it’s because of anyone but MOC - oh apart from when we win but don’t get a TBP because that he obviously his fault.

I’m not suggesting he’s the best coach or DOR ever but there does seem to be a lot of people waiting for a defeat so they can revert back to a pre-existing opinion.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Lucky O’Connor maybe, but all successful coaches have a little luck.
He was responsible for the appointment of Bakewell which has been the major reason for the turnaround. At that level you only have to be 5% off to be well beaten, and whatever Bakewell has done has done the trick.

If O’Connor is lucky then so is Richards at Newcastle, who by the Falcons players own admission is never seen on the training paddock, but he appointed Dave Walder as Head Coach and look at the difference.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Have posted elsewhere that the decision to go for MB was a big positive. The first half of the seaon was dire, so if the back play and brain fart decision making also improves I will be a happy man, and declare the new MOC a big improvement!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

4 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:17 am Except you can hardly call him “lucky”, he planned it like this; MOC said after we lost Blaze that he would prioritise the right candidate over available ones for forwards coach. He knew that may take time but wanted the right man in. Since he brought what he thought was the right man in, the forwards have improved no end and so the results have improved.

MOC is the Head Coach. He isn't the DOR. Sorry to be pedantic. :smt023
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Totally agree that all coaches need a bit of luck. There are lots of examples. Had Man U lost the cup game at Forest in 1990 and we all know Ferguson would have been sacked.

I’m pleased for MOC and the fans that we are on an upward trajectory. It happened just in time. My earlier points were really focusing on how fans often re-shape their view after the event and then criticise others. Not on.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

They say league tables don't lie. Our sudden elevation to 3rd place had me looking carefully at the table - and I found myself thinking about again the old canard 'we must score more bonus points or we wont ....' (usually its make the play offs). Of course it is still too early for final conclusion but looking at the table just now is interesting.

With the sole exception of Wasps (who are elevated one whole place) the table is ordered entirely by the number of wins. And Wasps' position below us is interesting because their 10 bonus points to our 8 don't outweigh our extra win, as the second differentiator after league points is No. of wins not BPs (their draw is a factor here too of course). On this basis its always wins first then BPs.