strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Six Nations...

Post by strawclearer »

Well done to the Fab Four!

England squad to face Italy
Backs

Mike Brown (Harlequins), Nathan Earle (Saracens), Harry Mallinder (Northampton), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Danny Care (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester), Jonathan Joseph (Bath), Alex Lozowski (Saracens),Jack Nowell (Exeter), Henry Slade (Exeter), Ben Te'o (Worcester) Marcus Smith (Harlequins) **, Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Forwards

Gary Graham (Newcastle), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), George Kruis (Saracens), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Launchbury (Wasps)Zach Mercer (Bath), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Simmonds (Exeter), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Lewis Boyce (Harlequins), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Tom Dunn (Bath), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton), Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:09 am Well done to the Fab Four!

England squad to face Italy
Backs

Mike Brown (Harlequins), Nathan Earle (Saracens), Harry Mallinder (Northampton), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Danny Care (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester), Jonathan Joseph (Bath), Alex Lozowski (Saracens),Jack Nowell (Exeter), Henry Slade (Exeter), Ben Te'o (Worcester) Marcus Smith (Harlequins) **, Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Forwards

Gary Graham (Newcastle), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), George Kruis (Saracens), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Launchbury (Wasps)Zach Mercer (Bath), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Simmonds (Exeter), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Lewis Boyce (Harlequins), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Tom Dunn (Bath), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton), Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)
Well done to the uncapped players selected for the squad as well.

It isn't going to be popular to say it, but EJ ought to be looking at Dan Robson now, he's in the form of his life.

Its about time young Mallinder got his chance in the senior squad, amongst others. I don't know how many of them will feature in EJ's master plan, but you can see his vision of building towards 2019 and beyond.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

An England squad that has only one Tigers player in the forwards tells a story about how far Leicester have fallen, and the manner of the fall.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Ellis Genge would have made it two if he wasn't injured but I get your point.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:03 pm Ellis Genge would have made it two if he wasn't injured but I get your point.
Agreed but none of our back 5 would be anywhere near this squad.

Mike Williams being the biggest disappointment as he was in the squad not so long ago, and has seriously regressed, which is a great shame for one and all.
Soggypitch
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Mike Williams could have been argued as being the in form flanker in the premiership the season he came to Tigers. Used to be one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

However recently he has been nowhere near top form. His Twitter does show that he obviously was a big fan of Mauger, not sure if there is still some animosity with some of the players.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:19 pm Mike Williams could have been argued as being the in form flanker in the premiership the season he came to Tigers. Used to be one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

However recently he has been nowhere near top form. His Twitter does show that he obviously was a big fan of Mauger, not sure if there is still some animosity with some of the players.
They weren't exactly ripping up trees under Mauger though were they?

There's a general coaching malaise.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Injuries haven't done Williams any good, they have been frequent and can have a big impact on a players career.
Mallinder :smt005 , likely in place of Francis, good attacking player but will need to speed up his defensive footwork at senior international level in my opinion, at least if he plays in midfield he'll have Mike Brown cleaning up at 15, although was it Brown who got stepped and burned by a prop recently! :smt003
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

BFG wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:58 pm Injuries haven't done Williams any good, they have been frequent and can have a big impact on a players career.
Mallinder :smt005 , likely in place of Francis, good attacking player but will need to speed up his defensive footwork at senior international level in my opinion, at least if he plays in midfield he'll have Mike Brown cleaning up at 15, although was it Brown who got stepped and burned by a prop recently! :smt003
Jones will play Mallinder at FB, if he ever selects him. You read it here first.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Players were divided between Cockers, Mauger and MOC (e.g. BY). Williams however has never recovered his first season form, neither has Kitchener his early promise. Barrow we seem to have shed.....and Hamilton is a Sweaty! So we have got an international back row player or three (Kala, Mapa)
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:37 pm Players were divided between Cockers, Mauger and MOC (e.g. BY). Williams however has never recovered his first season form, neither has Kitchener his early promise. Barrow we seem to have shed.....and Hamilton is a Sweaty! So we have got an international back row player or three (Kala, Mapa)
I said none of our back 5 would get near the England squad and I stick by that.

No chance of Hamilton, Kala or Mapa getting anywhere near EJs squad even if they were English!!!
Soggypitch
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:13 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:58 pm Injuries haven't done Williams any good, they have been frequent and can have a big impact on a players career.
Jones will play Mallinder at FB, if he ever selects him. You read it here first.
Not that difficult to work out really given that there are already two 10's, two 10/12's and one outright 12, but I suspect Mallinder's versatility is attractive.
He is a really good attacking player, just needs one position and some time to sort his defence out if possible.
Remember you read this here first, if he plays a decent side at 15 then England will concede a few points via the chip and chase!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BFG wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:38 pm
Not that difficult to work out really given that there are already two 10's, two 10/12's and one outright 12, but I suspect Mallinder's versatility is attractive.
He is a really good attacking player, just needs one position and some time to sort his defence out if possible.
Remember you read this here first, if he plays a decent side at 15 then England will concede a few points via the chip and chase!
I rate him as a counter attacking 15, but everytime when I have seen him in a high pressure match he hasn't performed lost his nerve so to speak, it could also be down to the players around him, when it is going Saints way he shows real class
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:29 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:38 pm

I rate him as a counter attacking 15, but everytime when I have seen him in a high pressure match he hasn't performed lost his nerve so to speak, it could also be down to the players around him, when it is going Saints way he shows real class
They move him all over the place Chobbsy, he has not long stepped up to the level let alone being moved from pillar to post, I don't get it personally as in those circumstances he is bound to struggle defensively!
That said I'm pretty sure they'll work on his footwork in defence!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Watson, for me, will be next England FB.