2nd Row

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

2nd Row

Post by Mark62 »

Before the season started I thought it was an area where we were well covered.
Yesterday was disappointing Barrow, who I’m normally a fan of developed dropsy and a line out that had been functioning better, got worse with supposedly our best line out forward back in this side.

I think we are missing Fitzgerald and Wells development needs to be encouraged, but who would be on fans shopping list for a big old lump
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: 2nd Row

Post by HantsTiger »

Is there a chance that Tuohy will become a permanent transfer? I'd imagine we'll need a sticking plaster approach until the end of the season or we buy Barrow a pair of 'stick-mitts'!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

HantsTiger wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:46 am Is there a chance that Tuohy will become a permanent transfer? I'd imagine we'll need a sticking plaster approach until the end of the season or we buy Barrow a pair of 'stick-mitts'!
I doubt it Bristol we’re keen for him to get game time after injury, but will no doubt want him back for their promotion pusn
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

2nd row is definitely the weakest unit in the whole team. The first and second choice front row have shown they are as good as anybody in the premiership and the back row seems to be coming along nicely.

However the second row seems to be a shambles. Wells seems to be our best lock, and that isn’t saying much about the other options. Barrow hasn’t hit the heights of last season and Kitchener seems awful.

Definitely missing international class in that area. Surely a SA one is willing to join us giving the state of their domestic league.

On current showing I wouldn’t be fussed if Kitchener left at the end of this season. Barrow would make a good back up but wouldn’t be first choice! Could almost do with 2 new locks with Wells coming through and Barrow as the back up. Hopefully we are looking at Mostert and Steph Du Toit.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Incessant whining again, players putting their bodies on the line for the club get a slagging on here again, as for the line out, there's the hooker and the lifters all involved in it, not just the second rows.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:24 am Incessant whining again, players putting their bodies on the line for the club get a slagging on here again, as for the line out, there's the hooker and the lifters all involved in it, not just the second rows.
Huge difference between whining and discussing, the 2nd rows have shown up well in the premiership but yesterday there wasn’t that extra bit required for Europe. Yes there is far more to line outs than the 2nd row, and 2nd row play in general, but for me the only part that was up to scratch yesterday was the scrum.

Compare that to the young lad playing for Exeter yesterday with the bleached hair, Hill I think, who more than stood his ground against Jonny Gray and Swinson
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Second Row won't be fixed until Harry Wells is in their permanently whether his partner be Barrow ,Kitchener or Fitzgerald and the line out won't be fixed until Tom Croft is brought back in.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I wouldn’t say anyone is whinging about the players, we’re all fans and allowed to discuss the team. Simple truth is that Tigers standards should be to win the premiership and the current crop of locks aren’t as good as our rivals.

Barrow and Wells are both good locks, but could do with some more quality in that area. Kitchener on current form needs to up his game. Years ago he was making the EPS and had some of the best lineout stats in the premiership. He quickly needs to rediscover that game.

Don’t know why people are still talking about Croft, living in the past. 5 years ago he was one the best flankers going, not anymore. Injury problems mean he is nowhere near the team nor is he likely to be in the future. Can see him sadly retiring at the end of the season.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I thought we did pretty well at the lineout yesterday. Racing had 5 international lineout options lining up at the start of the game and one of the biggest and arguably best packs in European rugby. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of the Racing pack was equal to the cost of our starting line up.

Barrow wasn't as solid in defence or attack as we would have hoped but Kitch did alright coming back from injury. He'll need to keep improving to hold onto his shirt but we were clearly worried about the Racing lineout, he'll need to get match sharp again.

I to agree that Wells has been our best lock this season and hope he'll be back into the 23 soon.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Want so see Kitch dropped and Wells and Tuohy brought into next weeks fixture
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:10 am
Definitely missing international class in that area. Surely a SA one is willing to join us giving the state of their domestic league.

On current showing I wouldn’t be fussed if Kitchener left at the end of this season. Barrow would make a good back up but wouldn’t be first choice! Could almost do with 2 new locks with Wells coming through and Barrow as the back up. Hopefully we are looking at Mostert and Steph Du Toit.

Lions were in the SupeRugby final while the Stormers are there or there abouts, Cheetahs are settling nicely in Pro14 so South Africa aren’t in such a state domestically as you suggest. So and under massive pressure from SARU, I doubt if Mostert or Steph du Toit will leave if they want to continue playing for South Africa.

If we can keep Tuohy that will be fantastic but big-spending Bristol probably want him back.
I think at the moment just look at our own current options or players coming through, hopefully we can see more of Loughborough’s Sam Bailey in A League and AWC who impressed me with his athleticism and work-rate
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I thought the second row were steady but nothing special yesterday. The scrum went well against a pretty big pack and the line out only misfired a couple of times (albeit 5 m from their line!). Barrow is a solid defender and is regularly in the top 5 tacklers, however neither Barrow or Kitchener make the impact at the breakdown you might expect, and their ball carrying is poor. They carried for 2 m each from total of 12 carries. In Barrows case it would help if he occasionally aimed between defenders rather than seeking out the nearest person and crashing into them.

Neither seem to be on top form at the moment and I'm not sure why.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Second row has been a bit soft at times IMO, not meaning Barrow but he is more of a workhorse than an big controlling enforcer.
I'd like to see what Touhy and Barrow with Wells possibly at 6 could do!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:30 pm Second row has been a bit soft at times IMO, not meaning Barrow but he is more of a workhorse than an big controlling enforcer.
Not sure why you’d play Wells at 6, when we have Williams, Hamilton, Khalamafoni and Mapalanga
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:56 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:30 pm Second row has been a bit soft at times IMO, not meaning Barrow but he is more of a workhorse than an big controlling enforcer.
Not sure why you’d play Wells at 6, when we have Williams, Hamilton, Khalamafoni and Mapalanga
Combinations Mark, or at least my own opinion on them, that's why!
Anyway Williams seems unable to get through a game currently without picking up some sort of bang.
On performances to date my pack would be Genge, McGuigan, Cole, Barrow, Touhy, Wells, O'Connor and Mapapalangi with a bench of Bateman, Youngs, Cilliers, Williams and Hamilton or Evans or Kalamafoni.