LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Post by johnthegriff »

Jono Kitto. a good third choice scrum half who never let us down after he was brought in by Aaron Mauger but he is not as good as Ben Youngs or Sam Harrison, with the development of Ben White he was falling further down the pecking order and is to good a player not to be at least on the bench for a good team. If he is on his way back to N.Z I wish him all the best for the future, he was one of the players who always acknowledged travelling fans.
As he was a squad player I don't suppose he was on a great salary and I would have thought that we have an obligation to pay him his wages until the end of his contract unless a settlement is reached.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:46 pm As he was a squad player I don't suppose he was on a great salary and I would have thought that we have an obligation to pay him his wages until the end of his contract unless a settlement is reached.
Agree he's been a worthy squad member and could thrive back home - but if he's gone because he resigned for a new start elsewhere we wont have any obligations to him. Or he may have been told he could serve his notice while on loan to Worcester with the prospect of being taken on there, which either didnt materialise or he rejected.

Either way I feel sorry for Tresidder (just started at Oxford Uni btw) who effectively was pushed out by Kitto's arrival in the season after a World Cup year with no LV/Anglo-Welsh chances.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Grimlish wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:57 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:46 pm As he was a squad player I don't suppose he was on a great salary and I would have thought that we have an obligation to pay him his wages until the end of his contract unless a settlement is reached.
Agree he's been a worthy squad member and could thrive back home - but if he's gone because he resigned for a new start elsewhere we wont have any obligations to him. Or he may have been told he could serve his notice while on loan to Worcester with the prospect of being taken on there, which either didnt materialise or he rejected.

Either way I feel sorry for Tresidder (just started at Oxford Uni btw) who effectively was pushed out by Kitto's arrival in the season after a World Cup year with no LV/Anglo-Welsh chances.
Oxford uni ain't a bad place to be. He signed for Rotherham and was getting game time.

That being said he would prob be in the same position Kitto is in now if he had stayed.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Jim Hamilton as forwards coach, surely this sort of guy would fit the bill, ex tigers/saracens, former international, would be a perfect fit??
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:11 pm http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... a-Nau.html

Hooker on the Tigers radar?
Also mentions "George McGuigan, who is understood to be on Bristol’s radar." I'd be sorry to see him go.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:11 pm http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... a-Nau.html

Wouldn't understand us signing Polota-Nau, we have 2 good young English hookers on our books already and OTY is only 30 :smt017
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Whilst I rate McGuigan, he is not in the same league as Polota-Nau, and I could easily see him becoming our 1st choice hooker and TY having to really fight for his place. If, as suggested McG is on his way to Bristol we do need a quality, experienced hooker. The person who I am sorry for is HT who I could easily see him leaving as well.
Hehehehehehehehe
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:16 am Whilst I rate McGuigan, he is not in the same league as Polota-Nau, and I could easily see him becoming our 1st choice hooker and TY having to really fight for his place. If, as suggested McG is on his way to Bristol we do need a quality, experienced hooker. The person who I am sorry for is HT who I could easily see him leaving as well.
I agree with you Trendy. Surely a no-brainer to sign a 77 cap Aussie international. McGuigan, imho, is a good squad player with potential but that is all. If we are to challenge the top teams we need more credible and experienced back up in key positions.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:08 pm Jim Hamilton as forwards coach, surely this sort of guy would fit the bill, ex tigers/saracens, former international, would be a perfect fit??
Is this just a wild punt or do you have some inside knowledge. It wouldn’t be a bad shout if he is qualified, and he was shown at Welford road on the Tigers twitter feed in the week
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I personally don't like the idea of signing players aged over thirty, that in my opinion is not the way to build for the future however if the policy brings trophies I guess I will live with it.
Regarding Jim Hamilton, what if any are his coaching credentials? Brett Deacon, Anthony Allen and Geordan Murphy have all now been coaching for a few years in an assistant role and are doing a good job, just what has Big Jim done at this stage of his career that makes him a candidate for a senior post?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:33 am
baz1664 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:08 pm Jim Hamilton as forwards coach, surely this sort of guy would fit the bill, ex tigers/saracens, former international, would be a perfect fit??
Is this just a wild punt or do you have some inside knowledge. It wouldn’t be a bad shout if he is qualified, and he was shown at Welford road on the Tigers twitter feed in the week
He was at Welford road for Rugbypass and his podcast with Andy Goode
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:21 pm

Also mentions "George McGuigan, who is understood to be on Bristol’s radar." I'd be sorry to see him go.
Polota-Nau would be a good signing IMO, a strong and combative international player, exactly the type Leicester need to move to the next level.
The line out, maul and scrum aren't where they could be!
I'd be very sorry to see McGuigan go, he is the one I'd prefer to stay for the long term if we signed Polota-Nau.
He has not been welcomed as well as could've IMO.
That can happen when others have parents involved in things.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well the mail are saying both Thacker and McGuigan are on Bristols radar. Although everyone is singling out McGuigan.

Would prefer McGuigan really to stay.

Have heard Thacker to Bristol from a few different places now.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:42 am
trendylfj wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:16 am Whilst I rate McGuigan, he is not in the same league as Polota-Nau, and I could easily see him becoming our 1st choice hooker and TY having to really fight for his place. If, as suggested McG is on his way to Bristol we do need a quality, experienced hooker. The person who I am sorry for is HT who I could easily see him leaving as well.
I agree with you Trendy. Surely a no-brainer to sign a 77 cap Aussie international. McGuigan, imho, is a good squad player with potential but that is all. If we are to challenge the top teams we need more credible and experienced back up in key positions.
He's a former international. He's not been in and around the Aus squad since 2015 as far as I'm aware. He's recent career has been marred by injuries and last I heard he was second choice at the Force. He's coming to Europe for a final payday and because no Aussie franchise seems keen to sign him up.

I'd rather have McGuigan. He could be here for another decade and has the potential to play for England. He's already improved an awful lot since signing.