Marcus Smith

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Marcus Smith

Post by Roly »

JP14 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 am kruis isn't a huge loss and is slipping down the pecking order anyway with the form of Itoje, Lawes and Launchbury.
On form, I think I'd take Kruis over Launchbury and possibly Lawes, he was immense for England last year.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:05 am
JP14 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 am kruis isn't a huge loss and is slipping down the pecking order anyway with the form of Itoje, Lawes and Launchbury.
On form, I think I'd take Kruis over Launchbury and possibly Lawes, he was immense for England last year.
I agree Roly, I think Kruis with Lawes and Itoje at 6 is the combination that'll give England the best chance in 2019.
Importantly that combo also keeps the line out link with Hartley and George.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

BFG wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:00 am
I agree Roly, I think Kruis with Lawes and Itoje at 6 is the combination that'll give England the best chance in 2019.
Kruis did not play in any of the last 6N where Launchbury was outstanding winning 2(?) MOTM awards. On international form would not that make him the front runner?
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

drc_007 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:12 am
BFG wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:00 am

Kruis did not play in any of the last 6N where Launchbury was outstanding winning 2(?) MOTM awards. On international form would not that make him the front runner?
Kruis didn't play because he was injured, not because he wasn't selected.

On form, Kruis with Itoje is the lock partnership of choice.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Kruis was rubbish on Lions tour so I would have Itjoe and Lawes in second row
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JP14 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:38 pm Kruis was rubbish on Lions tour so I would have Itjoe and Lawes in second row
But this isn't about the Lions is it?

Even if it were, isn't it only (supposedly) the best players in that position that get selected for the Lions?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

For what (little) it's worth, I would go with Itoje and Kruis or Launchbury, depending on fitness and form at the time, and Lawes on the bench for a second half impact.

Also, completely off topic, but I think Marcus Smith looks very talented and it's a good call for him to be exposed to the England setup.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:21 pm Also, completely off topic, but I think Marcus Smith looks very talented and it's a good call for him to be exposed to the England setup.
Yeah, way off topic for a thread entitled "Marcus Smith" :smt018 :smt017 :smt003
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Danny Cipriani was being hyped as the next big thing in 2008 and look what’s happened to him. EJ needs to guide Smith so he doesn’t get too far of himself
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni