Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by westwinds31 »

Spot on Will S. I see Barrow as our "Deacon" at the moment. An enforcer who hits rucks, tackles and has an edge. You'd never see Louis running riot across the park, although I recall a try vs Stade some years ago where he ran one in from the 22 ?! With players like Barrow & Williams, they'll provide the grunt.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Barrow, Slater and Williams should certainly be able to enforce themselves (Gameplan permitting).

I think Ryan and Kalamafoni will bring some aggression into the back row, they are not world beaters but they will and a bit of grit IMO when the time calls for it.
maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Post by maroontrunks »

While the sudden changes to contracts are/were disturbing, at least MOC is seemingly taking the bull by the horns and building the squad that fits into his own personal philosophy. It seems that the board are not taking 'transitional season' for an answer so radical change has taken place.

While there are no signings that have set the world alight, there's a clear intention to craft the squad around big ugly forwards and a fleet backline, which I have no problems with. I think though many (including myself) had high hopes for Mauger bringing a touch of Crusaders-style flair, the experiment definitely fell apart against the more physical sides we faced (Saracens, Munster, Racing etc) and MOC knows that a simple gameplan delivered with bone crushing power and setpiece dominance is the only way to take it to those sides. I'm definitely optimistic though I feel that MOC will need to deliver results fast to stay in there, let's hope he's up to the job.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

I get that, but even when the others didn't perform he did, so I would love to have seen him supported by 14 others performing to see what he can really do
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Being farcically linked with Daly lol! Whispers of an EQ player though,Jaco Kriel linked with Wasps,a beast of a player and the type of player we should be going after!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Who is linking Daly to Tigers?

Post by newbie »

And Jaco Kriel is another back row player surely not somewhere given recent moves we are looking to strengthen
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Not if Crofts going and we use Williams more at lock. Plus he's light years ahead of Ryan and Kalamafoni

Post by newbie »

He may well be, but is it wise for us to invest further cap into there given the perceived weaknesses of the back three?
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Good shout! Where is the 7s kid gonna play? And Marty McKenzie is a 15/10
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Scott11 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:21 am Being farcically linked with Daly lol! Whispers of an EQ player though,Jaco Kriel linked with Wasps,a beast of a player and the type of player we should be going after!
Daly?! That's funny.

About a month ago Kyle Eastmond to Tigers started being mentioned on Twitter; I'd imagine of anyone in the back row, it's him we'd likely get.

Plenty of "in the knows" suggesting our business this summer is not done, but considering the lads are already back for pre-season I very much doubt we are likely to see much if anything else.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I personally think it's just someone putting a allegedly unhappy Veainu together with Eddie Jones apparently wanting Daly full-time at full back and starting rumours. Never gonna happen,folk need to know where we are now in the scheme of things but there were posters on here last season genuinely thinking we could get Baxter or McCall in hahahaha!

Post by newbie »

Scott11 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:59 pm Good shout! Where is the 7s kid gonna play? And Marty McKenzie is a 15/10
Malouf I think people are guessing is a centre as that's where he played pre-7's and if we do get McKenzie then that could well improve options in the back 3 - as currently we only have 5 players for those three positions Holmes, Tait, Veianu and Thompstone and Brady
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

newbie wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Malouf I think people are guessing is a centre as that's where he played pre-7's and if we do get McKenzie then that could well improve options in the back 3 - as currently we only have 5 players for those three positions Holmes, Tait, Veianu and Thompstone and Brady
Don't forget George Worth!

But yes, Marty McKenzie would be an excellent addition. Proper first choice signing and could have an effect equal to Scott Hamilton.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott11 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:26 pm Not if Crofts going and we use Williams more at lock. Plus he's light years ahead of Ryan and Kalamafoni
Apart from when he spills the ball in contact, which is quite a frequent occurrence.