Watching the Lions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Watching the Lions

Post by Jay C »

AWJ rather than Itoje appears the wrong choice. Plus I'd rather see Lawes on the bench and no AWJ in the 23.

Back 3 is a surprise - I expected Halfpenny to start and Williams on the bench. Plus I thought Gatland would pick North even though undeserved. Rest of the 23 pretty much picks itself.

Good set of finishers in the forwards .... not sure there's any impact in the backs on the bench though.

I expect NZ to win comfortably but live in hope that we can be competitive and keep it close.
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

WHat a try by the Lions, game on!

Just when I thought O'Brien was looking off the pace and not fit enough he tracked that break 60 - 70 yards. And Liam Williams not good enough think again. We needed that because NZ are looking pretty good at the moment.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

This was always going to be the impossible tour and this result is showing it, the All Blacks have that extra 1% over the Lions but its to be expected when they are still a relatively new group of players, if the Lions had a season together it'd be game on
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tweet of the day from a Glasgow fan..."Apologies there if you picked up any of Stuart Barnes commentary, we tried to block it out with swearing"! Priceless that man! :smt005
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Too many errors and mistakes a critical times. Some good performances but in the end New Zealand just too well organised
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:00 am Tweet of the day from a Glasgow fan..."Apologies there if you picked up any of Stuart Barnes commentary, we tried to block it out with swearing"! Priceless that man! :smt005
Matt Giteau ran it close asking if Sky had a mute button for Barnes.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

drc_007 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:07 am Too many errors and mistakes a critical times. Some good performances but in the end New Zealand just too well organised
Three tries to two is hardly the thrashing everybody seems to be declaring it and Lions have more room to up their game than NZ.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

I think the Lions put up a great fight and could well have won, the turning point was Gatlands decision to start rolling on the subs after 50 minutes, O'Mahony and Mako were having great games and the back row looked settled with O'Brian playing a blinder, the introduction of Warburton and Mcgraph unsettled the continuity in the pack and gave NZ the upper hand, Warburton for me was awful, the intro of Sexton also caused confusion in the backs play and why replace your hooker at the time of a vital line out. Read who has barely played all season plays for 75 minutes, just shows that leaving your best players on in big games is key to success.
Have to say the officiating was poor, the ref seemed to have two different rulings at the breakdown, he allowed the all blacks tackler to constantly compete for the ball before releasing the tackled player, he also refused to give the lions penalties when the NZ players held on at the breakdown. For the Lions to have a chance there must be consistency.
MOTM for me had to be Read, made some great carries and the on the floor offload for the NZ try was a different world. As for the Lions, Murray, Williams, Teo, George, O'Brian and O'Mahony all inpressed, the big let down was Wyn Jones who doesn't look up to the task and Warburton who isn't match fit or game ready.
Changes for the next test would be minor, Itoje in for Wyn Jones, possibly move Williams to the wing instead of Daly and have Halfpenny at Full back for safer hands and a offer boot. The bench does need a overhaul, ditch Warburton, Wyn Jones, Sexton, Owens and bring in Lawes, Bigger, CJ and Best.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:47 pm
Robespierre wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 pm If AWJ gives his all for 50 minutes - as I'm sure he will, and then a fresh and fired-up Itoje enters the fray to partner Kruis and then Sinckler, whatsisname the Welsh hooker and Irish prop join the fun then the Lions will finish well and put the final nail in the AB's coffin!
Now, back to that bottle of Buzet!
Baron D'Albret ot Baron D'Ardeuil? Very envious.
Non, Croix de Taillac!

I only saw the second half, but I understand that AWJ was off the pace and the front five came off second best. Would starting with Itoje have made a difference to the result? Maybe, maybe not, but he should start next week with Lawes on the bench. Sinckler looked good for his short time on the pitch and Furlong looked knackered when he came off - which is hardly surprising!, but would Dan Cole have been the better choice? I'd like to see him start next week. Elsewhere, Daly deserves to stay as does Williams at full back. I'd drop Halfpenny altogether and bring North onto the bench.

Now, where's that corkscrew?
Semper in excretia
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

This is what you get when you don't field your best team.Why Itoje was not in the starting line up will puzzle me for quite some time, and with the best will in the world Liam Williams is a winger not a fullback, why wasn't Leigh Halfpenny there? I also thought that Sam Warburton should have been on from the start!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:53 pm
Robespierre wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 pm If AWJ gives his all for 50 minutes - as I'm sure he will, and then a fresh and fired-up Itoje enters the fray to partner Kruis and then Sinckler, whatsisname the Welsh hooker and Irish prop join the fun then the Lions will finish well and put the final nail in the AB's coffin!
Now, back to that bottle of Buzet!
Non, Croix de Taillac!

I only saw the second half, but I understand that AWJ was off the pace and the front five came off second best. Would starting with Itoje have made a difference to the result? Maybe, maybe not, but he should start next week with Lawes on the bench. Sinckler looked good for his short time on the pitch and Furlong looked knackered when he came off - which is hardly surprising!, but would Dan Cole have been the better choice? I'd like to see him start next week. Elsewhere, Daly deserves to stay as does Williams at full back. I'd drop Halfpenny altogether and bring North onto the bench.

Re Cole I thought I heard the commentator mention "Concussion issues?" Loved to see Sinkler on the charge but he needs a scrummager to mash the opposition up first.

Why not start with Lawes? Kruis lost ball by getting ripped a couple of times.

I thought the back three were good.

Agree on the corkscrew. Chateau Bellevue let Foret tonight. One of my last bottles of fronton.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:07 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:53 pm
Non, Croix de Taillac!

Re Cole I thought I heard the commentator mention "Concussion issues?" Loved to see Sinkler on the charge but he needs a scrummager to mash the opposition up first.

Why not start with Lawes? Kruis lost ball by getting ripped a couple of times.

I thought the back three were good.

Agree on the corkscrew. Chateau Bellevue let Foret tonight. One of my last bottles of fronton.
Hmmm! A good one! So you'll be heading down here to restock your cellar!!
Semper in excretia
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

October I hope! Re-stock required!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

British & Irish Lions (v Hurricanes, Tuesday): Nowell, Seymour, Joseph, Henshaw, North, Biggar, Laidlaw, Marler, Best (capt), Cole, Henderson, Lawes, Haskell, Tipuric, Stander. Replacements: Dacey, Dell, Francis, Hill, Kruis, Davies, Russell, Payne.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

So who's going to be pushing to be in Saturday's Test squad?
A big game from Lawes and he should be in the starting XV and maybe Cole too too add some oopmh to the front five, North and Best for the bench, Tipuric to replace Warburton (ok he's captain but Tipuric is undeniably the better player).
Can't see anyone else knocking on the door.
That 'Canes side looks good with a few ABs in the side. Another defeat beckons for the Lions.
Semper in excretia