Ellis Genge - a target for refs?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ellis Genge - a target for refs?

Post by HantsTiger »

Now I'm the first to say that I love the guy and his no backward step attitude and therefore my own 'one-eydness' means I probably miss the cause, but again today the oppo and then the ref seemed to single him out, with Tekori walking around the breakdown after the whistle to push Genge and then the ref Genge to cut it out. I can't see what Genge did to start anything, let alone require a word from Sir.

This isn't the first time and I wonder if he's got a rep with the refs and therefore they need to have a word, even when he's an innocent party.

I'm happy to have my 'one-eye' readjusted by my fellow tigers :smt023 and I'm sure he's not whiter than white.

Also, he had another good game at scrum time today against very experienced opposition :smt003
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Ellis Genge - a target for refs?

Post by fentiger »

Didn't see the game myself, however, Fissler has tweeted tonight: "Ellis Genge would start a row in a phone box. He is about to become my favourite rugby player." :smt003
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

HantsTiger wrote:Now I'm the first to say that I love the guy and his no backward step attitude and therefore my own 'one-eydness' means I probably miss the cause, but again today the oppo and then the ref seemed to single him out, with Tekori walking around the breakdown after the whistle to push Genge and then the ref Genge to cut it out. I can't see what Genge did to start anything, let alone require a word from Sir.

This isn't the first time and I wonder if he's got a rep with the refs and therefore they need to have a word, even when he's an innocent party.

I'm happy to have my 'one-eye' readjusted by my fellow tigers :smt023 and I'm sure he's not whiter than white.

Also, he had another good game at scrum time today against very experienced opposition :smt003
Felt for Gengey thought he handled himself very well against a pathetic immature display from Tekori. The response from the Ref was indicative of his woeful performance on a par with Lacey.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Genge great and ref seemed fine to me as he yellow carded Tekori. Genge is like Julian White and is what many said Tigers had missed: a hard forward who puts fear into the opposition. Ford's kicking a real worry but on the positive side his tackling today was very good.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

R. Cockerill:" I'd rather be pulling him out of a fight than pushing him in to one".
That said, Genge still needs to learn how to react when provoked .
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

Ian Cant wrote:Genge great and ref seemed fine to me as he yellow carded Tekori. Genge is like Julian White and is what many said Tigers had missed: a hard forward who puts fear into the opposition. Ford's kicking a real worry but on the positive side his tackling today was very good.
I thought Fords tactical kicking was much better than I've seen with England. I agree on the tackling, sides are targetting him and he's standing up well.

To be fair, Genge didn't react today and if anything seemed a bit bemused as to why he was being spoken to. I think he's come on leaps and bounds in his self control. I noted in the Sale game that Philips made a bee line for him from the off in an attempt to provoke a reaction, which didn't come (or I can't remember it!)
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

My son (who obviously lip-reads better than me) said that Ellis called Tuquiri a p***k, amongst other things after being shoved. I think the ref did well to calm him down and say that he'd deal with it. We joked that Julian would have probably lamped him!

In all seriousness, this was another occasion when the young man ended up completely dominating experienced opposition. There was a genuine argument for making him MotM over the more showy contribution of Curry.

Ford tackled bravely and his kicking was superb - it will make a difference next season.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

KevinR wrote:My son (who obviously lip-reads better than me) said that Ellis called Tuquiri a p***k, amongst other things after being shoved. I think the ref did well to calm him down and say that he'd deal with it. We joked that Julian would have probably lamped him!

In all seriousness, this was another occasion when the young man ended up completely dominating experienced opposition. There was a genuine argument for making him MotM over the more showy contribution of Curry.

Ford tackled bravely and his kicking was superb - it will make a difference next season.
Bit harsh on Farmer Julian to suggest he would lash out just for a push. Although he was always ready to respond in kind, words or a push alone probably wouldn't have provoked him to retaliate strongly. Ellis Genge is developing the same way nowadays, a much more mature approach than his earlier appearances. Bunny has always been part of advantage seeking for the front row.

Ellis is becoming the real deal!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Ellis will continue to be well-served by his 'tactic' of simply smiling at the opposition whenever they try to wind him up! I suspect that might be something taught him by Cockers! :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

Reason for the ref's reaction could be that the ref repeatedly told Genge to walk away which Genge didn't do but stood his ground.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

No I don't believe he is,well not currently, though he must try and moderate his flashes of temper and channel his aggressive qualities or he may become a target for the whistle happy chappies.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Like many before, he'll learn, as did Jim Hamilton, Martin Johnson and of course "silent, but violent" Deacs.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I've been very impressed with his capacity to get under the skin of the opposition without letting them get to him.

Metaphorically he lights the blue touch paper and walks away from the ensuing melee with a grin on his face. Must frustrate the opposition enormously but minimal risk of getting carded himself.

To be fair to Julian White he rarely started the bother he got involved in and he dealt with things face to face rather than the sneaky thuggery that we see from some. I guess his tendency to see the red mist would not be in keeping with modern interpretations of the laws!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

[quote="sapajo" The response from the Ref was indicative of his woeful performance on a par with Lacey.[/quote]

Are you blind or something? The ref yellow carded Tekori?

He's a good official, but he had an off day - his decisions however, affected both sides and weren't biased.

I suppose that some will only see their beloved team as deserving only of an automaton official, incapable of human frailty.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TomWeston wrote:
KevinR wrote:My son (who obviously lip-reads better than me) said that Ellis called Tuquiri a p***k, amongst other things after being shoved. I think the ref did well to calm him down and say that he'd deal with it. We joked that Julian would have probably lamped him!

Bit harsh on Farmer Julian to suggest he would lash out just for a push. Although he was always ready to respond in kind, words or a push alone probably wouldn't have provoked him to retaliate strongly. Ellis Genge is developing the same way nowadays, a much more mature approach than his earlier appearances. Bunny has always been part of advantage seeking for the front row.

Ellis is becoming the real deal!
why would he call Tuquiri a :censored:, he's been retired for a few years now :smt039
God created rugby so footballers have heros too