Owen Williams - an appreciation

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Owen Williams - an appreciation

Post by jgriffin »

Amongst all the justified hou-haa over Fred, I'd like to pay tribute to the lad from Ystradgynlais who for me has been a rock for most of the last 4 years. He has played out of position whenever needed and done a great job, he has kicked some cracking and match-winning goals, and booted two of the best touchline hugging penalty clearances I have seen at any level, far better than those claimed to be 'best ever' on Ruck. He has been a great Tiger.
I don't blame him for cashing in with a double-your-money offer, and I wish him well on the summer tour with Wales.
A gem and a gent. :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Owen Williams - an appreciation

Post by Maidman »

+1

A real fav in our house. (especially amongst the ladies ever since he did his calendar shot!)
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Met him a few times (a friend's company sponsored him for Tigers)
Nice, polite, humble guy.

Shame he's leaving, but wish him well and hope he gets the international recognition he deserves.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

He was indeed a fine player for the Tigers, put up with a fair bit without letting it effect his commitment to the shirt.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

A fine player and professional. He will be sorely missed I fear. Good luck Owen
I'm not cynical just experienced
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

chewbacca wrote:A fine player and professional. He will be sorely missed I fear. Good luck Owen
:smt023 Be nice to see him kick on...
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Flash

Post by Flash »

He's been a top player for us, developed really well. But for bad timings of injuries he'd probably have more international caps too. It's also a shame he's the exact sort of player we need to sign.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Flash wrote:He's been a top player for us, developed really well. But for bad timings of injuries he'd probably have more international caps too. It's also a shame he's the exact sort of player we need to sign.
Yes - we might argue over the relative merits of Ford and Burns but I don't think many would favour Joe Ford over Owen Williams! Any takers?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

strawclearer wrote:
Flash wrote:He's been a top player for us, developed really well. But for bad timings of injuries he'd probably have more international caps too. It's also a shame he's the exact sort of player we need to sign.
Yes - we might argue over the relative merits of Ford and Burns but I don't think many would favour Joe Ford over Owen Williams! Any takers?
Nope: Flash got it right first time.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Gets my vote :smt023
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

jgriffin wrote:Amongst all the justified hou-haa over Fred, I'd like to pay tribute to the lad from Ystradgynlais who for me has been a rock for most of the last 4 years. He has played out of position whenever needed and done a great job, he has kicked some cracking and match-winning goals, and booted two of the best touchline hugging penalty clearances I have seen at any level, far better than those claimed to be 'best ever' on Ruck. He has been a great Tiger.
I don't blame him for cashing in with a double-your-money offer, and I wish him well on the summer tour with Wales.
A gem and a gent. :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
** Totally agree with JG - So sorry to see him depart but given the cash any one would take that chance. However he really deserves the leaving shirt as he has given ALL to Tigers.
Great personality and great parents too ( well his father bought me a pint @ the Liberty Stadium!)
I hope he gets plenty of Welsh caps as is a great player and a sad loss to Tigers but will he enjoy Glous? I wonder - perhaps another stepping stone back to The Principality.
Thanks Owen. :smt039
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Agree with all the above :smt038 :smt038
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Cagey Tiger wrote:Agree with all the above :smt038 :smt038
Another upvote - all players have their ups and down, but OW has been a remarkably consistent performer for Tigers, and was always prepared to put his body on the line. Thank you, Owen and good luck in the future.

I'd love to see the Welsh selectors come to their senses (he could probably cure the Welsh national side of their tendency to blow games in the final quarter....he's a fantastic 'game closer'!)
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes a good player and a gentleman brought up in the tradition of Welsh star rugby players. I don't think that it will be too long before he replaces Biggar as Welsh National fly half. Good Luck Owen.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

In many ways we'll miss him more than FB for his versatilty. Will always be welcome at Welford Road and assured of a good reception.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”