Luke Hamilton

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Luke Hamilton

Post by Ian Cant »

Over the last few matches Luke has been one of our stand out players. On Saturday we struggled in attack and defence when he was replaced in the 49th minute. He is becoming the number 8 everyone keeps saying we need. If he makes the same improvement next year he will be a very good number 8. On Saturday we also missed having a strong enough bench with so many players injured.so when Hamilton, Cole, Barrow, Genge and Tom Youngs went off we lost the control we had. If we can get a majority of this squad fit then Tigers can be a force in the premiership again.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Luke Hamilton

Post by sam16111986 »

Ian Cant wrote:Over the last few matches Luke has been one of our stand out players. On Saturday we struggled in attack and defence when he was replaced in the 49th minute. He is becoming the number 8 everyone keeps saying we need. If he makes the same improvement next year he will be a very good number 8. On Saturday we also missed having a strong enough bench with so many players injured.so when Hamilton, Cole, Barrow, Genge and Tom Youngs went off we lost the control we had. If we can get a majority of this squad fit then Tigers can be a force in the premiership again.
Agree. Onr of our stand out players in the semi final and quickly becoming a key member of the pack. The only difference in view I have is that he should be wearing 6. Big ball carrier at 8 and then the workhorse Hamilton at 6 tackling everything and making the hard yards.

Would allow us to have the impact of Williams off the bench and either have another lock or a more mobile backrow with Williams covering injury at lock depending on the opposition.
Ajcc

Post by Ajcc »

The only problem I see with Luke is his lineout skills, he is a good all rounder who makes the odd mistake.

But if we are having a big ball carrying 8 then we need a 6 who others a 3rd lineout option and I believe this why Fitzgerald started there on Saturday
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I think he has played very well all season, a player who gives his all in every match. However I do think he looks more like a 6 who can cover 8. Still need a ball carrying No8.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ajcc wrote:The only problem I see with Luke is his lineout skills, he is a good all rounder who makes the odd mistake.

But if we are having a big ball carrying 8 then we need a 6 who others a 3rd lineout option and I believe this why Fitzgerald started there on Saturday
TBH O'Connor is a good enough lineout option for 3rd choice.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote:
Ajcc wrote:The only problem I see with Luke is his lineout skills, he is a good all rounder who makes the odd mistake.

TBH O'Connor is a good enough lineout option for 3rd choice.
Yes O'Connor goes up occasionally.
My choice of back row would include Hamilton and O'Connor with a No8 of the highest quality, that'd be as good a back row as anyone IMO.
I think Hamilton could play 6 or 7 effectively about the park, he is that good IMO!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Totally agree Ian Cant Luke's been magnificent and he had to come off with a neck injury after suffering from a high tackle and neck roll which went unpunished, so bad was the standard of refereeing.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

We predicted rain for the game on Saturday and picked the biggest pack we could on the back of it. Slater and Williams on the bench as well. We seem to have anticipated Wasps having impact off the bench so we packed Williams on there to offer some of our own. Our big pack beat Wasps up at the breakdown stopping their backrow from pushing wide. We spoiled their lineout and until the replacements their scrum. We won't always get away with that and would have had to change tactics for the final if we'd have got there.

BOC and Hamilton both jump at the lineout and as long as we have Kitch running the show there we should be ok. I think Kalamafoni jumps as well so we'd still have plenty of options.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

IMO the best game he has played? Maybe MOC's planning is bringing the best out of him?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TigerCam wrote:IMO the best game he has played? Maybe MOC's planning is bringing the best out of him?
Nah, it's a bloke who was spotted playing well in a lesser comp, and deemed to have further development in him, much like Locky. He has grown through the season to become a Hill-like assassin as well as pretty useful with ball in hand.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Top 14 isn't exactly lesser comp.
GEH

Post by GEH »

I think he's good; my mate disagrees. Just wonder if in this era he is big enough?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

GEH wrote:I think he's good; my mate disagrees. Just wonder if in this era he is big enough?
A couple of inches shorter and 2.5 stone lighter than Kalamafoni.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

He's a 6/8 not a brute 8. Horses for courses.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I actually think he's best suited to 6. Him and Williams are the big hitters. Leaving O'Connor and Evans as genuine groundhog 7's, then Kalamafoni and maybe Mapapalangi as big running ball carriers. Macafferey then fits in as a genuine all rounder, good over the ball, tireless workrate, intelligent lines of running and good hands.

6. Williams & Hamilton
7. O'Connor & Evans
8. Kalamafoni, Mapapalangi & Macafferey

Does Croft fit in? Unarguably a true Tiger, and offers something different to all this above, but have his injuries taken too much of a toll? I look at those above, and I'm not sure Croft is as durable anymore?