Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by RagingBull »

heard similar but different numbers and for a different reason.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

RagingBull wrote:heard similar but different numbers and for a different reason.
Likewise - a new centre was my info.
Soggypitch
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote:
Snorbins wrote:Lammy- you talking about the 2 backs and 2 forwards?
We've had 6 forwards and 2 backs re-sign this season that I would think could be at risk

Backs - Kitto & Tait
Forwards - BOC, Fitzgerald, Rizzo, Bateman, Wells and Thacker
Which forwards are we to cut then? Presumably we can't afford to lose Rizzo and Bateman because of our current prop numbers. I'd presume Thacker will be retained because he covers two positions including hooker where we aren't well stacked.

That leaves Wells, Fitzgerald and BOC. BOC recorded the most turnovers in the league this season and is a first choice starter. We can't let both Wells and Fitzgerald go otherwise we're then short in the second row. You'd have thought that Fitzgerald is on a more substantial wedge than Wells, Thacker and Bateman so could be a favourite to be cut.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

sam16111986 wrote:
kpj tiger wrote:
Snorbins wrote:Lammy- you talking about the 2 backs and 2 forwards?
We've had 6 forwards and 2 backs re-sign this season that I would think could be at risk

Backs - Kitto & Tait
Forwards - BOC, Fitzgerald, Rizzo, Bateman, Wells and Thacker
Which forwards are we to cut then? Presumably we can't afford to lose Rizzo and Bateman because of our current prop numbers. I'd presume Thacker will be retained because he covers two positions including hooker where we aren't well stacked.

That leaves Wells, Fitzgerald and BOC. BOC recorded the most turnovers in the league this season and is a first choice starter. We can't let both Wells and Fitzgerald go otherwise we're then short in the second row. You'd have thought that Fitzgerald is on a more substantial wedge than Wells, Thacker and Bateman so could be a favourite to be cut.
There isn't one person in the list above that I'm talking about- no idea if others that have commented are.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Better not be McCaffrey.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Shamelessly copied and pasted from RagingBulls OP in this thread...

Re-Signed
Peter Betham
Graham Kitchener
Dominic Barrow
Will Evans
Jono Kitto
Greg Bateman
Mike Fitzgerald
Brendon O'Connor
Matthew Tait
Michele Rizzo
Harry Thacker
Harry Wells

Evans and Barrow you'd presume aren't going anywhere. Kitch is our strong only line-out leader who has regularly been fit this season. Bateman and Rizzo cover prop where we are losing players already. Thacker covers hooker and openside, plus he's a fantastic talent but that is of course subjective.

That leaves:

Brendan O'Connor - Splits opinion but IMO has performed well in an unbalanced back row.

Betham and Fitzgerald - Both were excellent last season but quieter this one. Their best position is debated which could work against them if MOC views them as best in a position with depth?

Jono Kitto - With White and Simmons coming through he could be under pressure.

Mat Tait - General consensus with most I spoke to when he re-signed was that it was a good squad signing 'for the right money'. What 'the right money' is could be viewed differently by MOC?

Harry Wells - Has been impressive this season in well earned opportunities. He can't be on a huge amount as a squad player and I'd be disappointed if he were cut after earning his contract through performance.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I believe the 4 based on pure speculation are Sam Harrison, Matt Smith, Tom Croft and Will Evans or Harry Thacker.

Losing 4 academy graduates would be a blow, especially with Sam and Will/Harry, but considering MOCs record with youth would it be a surprise?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote:I believe the 4 based on pure speculation are Sam Harrison, Matt Smith, Tom Croft and Will Evans or Harry Thacker.

Losing 4 academy graduates would be a blow, especially with Sam and Will/Harry, but considering MOCs record with youth would it be a surprise?

So you are speculating based on others speculation? Always a good way to do stuff...........

I mean MOC doesn't have the best record with academy BUT he also was the one to give Ben Youngs and George Ford a lot of game time for their age.

ABC that only works if the players are ones who signed new deals this season.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

RagingBull wrote:
TTRITH wrote:I believe the 4 based on pure speculation are Sam Harrison, Matt Smith, Tom Croft and Will Evans or Harry Thacker.

So you are speculating based on others speculation? Always a good way to do stuff...........

I mean MOC doesn't have the best record with academy BUT he also was the one to give Ben Youngs and George Ford a lot of game time for their age.

Agree with all of this. There was only ONE recently signed contract extension that sounds like he's off. Hopefully all will be public very soon.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote:

Being pedantic but wasn't YBY on the scene in 07?

I did have reasons for my speculation:

Smith : very little has been said on his future. He's a club player and at 31(?) He could do a job in France.
Harrison: a lot of comments around his future. Ben White coming through, with Kitto signed on and YBY also under contract it does suggest if wages needed to be freed up he could be a prime candidate. On the otherhand, I wouldn't move him On, not with what the Youngs' boys are going through.
Tom Croft: out of contract, no longer first choice, France beckoning.
Will Evans/Harry Thacker: if it's a number 8 coming in we have two development 7s, a first choice and a couple of players who can do a job there. I'd expect one of the two would make way.

But of course, I could just be reading this all wrong.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

RagingBull wrote:

When Mrs G and I discussed this, she immediately said 'Smith, Tait, Fitzgerald, McCaffrey, Croft, Thacker.' Asked her why, she said both Smithy and Tait may not be valued anymore, likewise Croft, Fitzgerald was neither fish nor fowl, MOC wants another big 8 and also looking at Mapalangi, and Thacker may be judged too small/too talented/easy to rescind head of contract by MOC (ouch). She also said her ST will be going back if Sam is shown the door. :smt018 For my money, Mike Williams and Fitzgerald and Thacker will go.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I'll be gutted if it's Sam Harrison getting the chop especially as Kitto has re-signed and in my opinion is a vastly inferior player to Shazam. Releasing Will Evans, one of the finest young 7's in the country is surely not even an option.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

POSTIGER wrote:I'll be gutted if it's Sam Harrison getting the chop especially as Kitto has re-signed and in my opinion is a vastly inferior player to Shazam. Releasing Will Evans, one of the finest young 7's in the country is surely not even an option.
Sam is under contract, having re-signed earlier in the season as I understand from a reliable source. Would be surprised if he was released.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tigerbeat wrote:
POSTIGER wrote:I'll be gutted if it's Sam Harrison getting the chop especially as Kitto has re-signed and in my opinion is a vastly inferior player to Shazam. Releasing Will Evans, one of the finest young 7's in the country is surely not even an option.
Sam is under contract, having re-signed earlier in the season as I understand from a reliable source. Would be surprised if he was released.
Ditto, I have tried to drop a few hints - maybe I'm too subtle.

All this talk does absolutely no good for players who may scan this now and again. Fortunately they don't seem to look on here as much as I once feared as; 'The forum? Everyone on there is an idiot.'
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

Could somebody have finally run out of patience with Manu Tuilagi's injuries? That and finding a way to pull the plug on his contract?