Only Genge in England squad for Argentina, well done Ellis!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Only Genge in England squad for Argentina, well done El

Post by BFG »

agoodetiger wrote:You've asked questions in your previous posts, simply putting an ! at the end of a sentence doesn't stop it becoming a question.

So please explain why it is so 'alarming' that they didn't chose Tigers, why not Saints - Oundle School is nearer Saints than Tigers and John Olver, their uncle is head of rugby at Oundle School and let me see now....which is one of the teams he used to play for?
Firstly you are quite wrong, if it were a question then the appropriate grammar would've been included, I should know as I wrote it!
Secondly I never mentioned Saints, I don't give a monkeys about Saints, I in fact wrote alarming in reference that they would desire to play for Sale instead of Leicester in the debate, were Leicester ever in the hunt that is of which I have absolutely no idea!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote:
agoodetiger wrote:You've asked questions in your previous posts, simply putting an ! at the end of a sentence doesn't stop it becoming a question.

So please explain why it is so 'alarming' that they didn't chose Tigers, why not Saints - Oundle School is nearer Saints than Tigers and John Olver, their uncle is head of rugby at Oundle School and let me see now....which is one of the teams he used to play for?
Firstly you are quite wrong, if it were a question then the appropriate grammar would've been included, I should know as I wrote it!
Secondly I never mentioned Saints, I don't give a monkeys about Saints, I in fact wrote alarming in reference that they would desire to play for Sale instead of Leicester in the debate, were Leicester ever in the hunt that is of which I have absolutely no idea!
I don't see how it is alarming that they want to play for their local home team though?

It's like saying it's alarming that people choose to support other teams and not Leicester even if they grew up near that team.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Reading the discussion about the Curry twins in this thread is now five minutes of my life I'll never get back. I hope you're proud of yourselves.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:Reading the discussion about the Curry twins in this thread is now five minutes of my life I'll never get back. I hope you're proud of yourselves.
Its a forum Iain. Perhaps they should ask your permission with regards to what they post in future, lest they waste your time?

I thought the discussion was alright - I certainly am now more enlightened with regards to these players.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Having watched the impressive England U20s team, one thing is for certain is that England are benefiting from the contracts of Professional rugby & the British Forces, which means that sons residing in England - Cokanasinga, Umanga, Mercer etc have a style of play that is unrecognisable from the Will Carling public school stereotype & have brought an innate Southern hemisphere flair & physicality that should propel England forward.

It's a great example of the multicultural England.

3 very young open sides going out, the future is bright. Wales tried everything to poach Sam Underhill but he knew what was best for his career, playing for England is a no-brainer.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Roly wrote:Having watched the impressive England U20s team, one thing is for certain is that England are benefiting from the contracts of Professional rugby & the British Forces, which means that sons residing in England - Cokanasinga, Umanga, Mercer etc have a style of play that is unrecognisable from the Will Carling public school stereotype & have brought an innate Southern hemisphere flair & physicality that should propel England forward. .
Interesting point. I know Yawayawa in the Tigers academy dad is in the army.

Also think this generation has benefited from having more exposure to SH super rugby and watching how they play down south more. I mean you can pretty much watch every super rugby game on YouTube a day or so after it. (That's if you don't have sky)

( I will just say I do agree that Tigers academy system needs a completely different rethink from the identifying of talent and recuitment to the transitioning to the senior squad. Now changes have happen over the last 12 months or so whether it is enough I don't know. I do think we need to stop focusing so much on schools rugby and look at more club rugby IMO we also need to do more to sell the club than just saying we are Tigers Imo.

I just think using the curries is a poor example)
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

mol2 wrote:I guess Mike Williams missed out to an extent because he hasn't been starting enough for Tigers.

Apart from Genge there isn't anyone who is really on the England radar (and not injured like Manu and Evans)
I still have this feeling that Ellis, will end up with the Lions as an injury replacement.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote:
BFG wrote:

I don't see how it is alarming that they want to play for their local home team though?

It's like saying it's alarming that people choose to support other teams and not Leicester even if they grew up near that team.
If you don't find it alarming then that is your prerogative, personally I do find the thought of the best young players in the country preferring to play for Sale instead of Tigers alarming!
Is that fair enough?
For goodness sake I don't get up in the morning and think I must ask RagingBull how I should think today!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BFG wrote: For goodness sake I don't get up in the morning and think I must ask RagingBull how I should think today!
Nor do I !!! (I do check a few things with Mrs Strawclearer though...)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

strawclearer wrote:
BFG wrote: For goodness sake I don't get up in the morning and think I must ask RagingBull how I should think today!
Nor do I !!! (I do check a few things with Mrs Strawclearer though...)
IMO very wise! :smt023
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Only one Tiger in Argentina squad, well done Ellis

Post by Chobbsy »

Hot_Charlie wrote:Slightly disappointing. Would have liked to have seen a few more Tigers involved. The motivation for Saints to sign Francis is now clear; Jones obviously wanted him. Disappointed Solomona has been picked. The residency rules can't change soon enough. Not a good way to encourage grass roots talent.
Yeah Solomona in because of residency rule, shouldn't be allow, oh wait that's how Manu got in!!!!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Only one Tiger in Argentina squad, well done Ellis

Post by Chobbsy »

Chobbsy wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:Slightly disappointing. Would have liked to have seen a few more Tigers involved. The motivation for Saints to sign Francis is now clear; Jones obviously wanted him. Disappointed Solomona has been picked. The residency rules can't change soon enough. Not a good way to encourage grass roots talent.
Yeah Solomona in because of residency rule, shouldn't be allow, oh wait that's how Manu got in!!!!
Oh yeah and the Vunipolas
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

All been here a lot longer than three years.
Also grew up here.
Also have not represented another country.

So no. Nothing like Manu and the Vunipolas.

Quite a bit like Nathan Hughes though.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

northerntiger wrote:All been here a lot longer than three years.
Also grew up here.
Also have not represented another country.

So no. Nothing like Manu and the Vunipolas.

Quite a bit like Nathan Hughes though.
How did they all qualify? what do you think Somoa and Tonga think, don't you think they would like people born in there countries to represent them?

Sorry you may not like it but they qualified the exact same way As Manu, Mako, Billy and Rokoduguni
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I have no problem with residency as a qualification, it's the time I object to. Three years is too short