Only Genge in England squad for Argentina, well done Ellis!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Only Genge in England squad for Argentina, well done El

Post by Bunchy »

strawclearer wrote:It's a disgrace!

Yet again, Eddie (should be Ebbw) Jones (note the surname!) surrounds himself with his Welsh favourites! Just look at the names, especially all the double l's...

Will Collier (clearly Welsh mining stock), Llanellis Genge, Luke Cwmbran-Dickie, Danny Caerphilly, Dylan 'Thomas' Hartley, Haskell, Hill, Nathan 'Mark' Hughes, Joe Llaunchfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch-bury, Mullan, Underhill, Harry 'Shane' Williams, Tom 'Under Milk' Wood, Mallinder...

There are no Scots - again - and hardly any good old-fashioned Anglo-Saxon stock apart from Isiekwe, Cokanasiga, Lozowski, Solomona and a couple of Currys - Biryani and Tikka, I think!

It's time Jones The Manager realised that the next Welsh person to hold the Six Nations Cup is likely to be the engraver! :smt003

Excellent :smt038
Less is more....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Clearly those in charge are looking to the future and think that other options don't have enough development left in them to improve on the current shirt holders or even to the required standard at all in younger cases and to be honest it would be difficult to disagree with that point of view.
I think many overrate many players and in particular their potential to get better.
IMO Tigers have a lot of good players, a decent cumulative squad but very few outstanding or potentially so.
Others such as Roko are a little old for development at 29 years old and if he isn't going to be ahead of the likes of Watson or Nowell then it makes sense to further develop the likes of Nathan Earle.
25 year old Wade is one with bags of talent but he is small and many international wingers are not, young Joe Cockanasiga is what 18/19 years old, well over 16 stone and 6 foot 4 inches and take it from me as I've seen him close up this lad can shift!
The Curry brothers have bags of potential at 18/19 years old, they were close enough to snag young at Oundle but those in the loop didn't have enough nous to get them.
Tommy Taylor might've expected a place but given Hartley has been ignored by the Lions and as skipper will likely play then the place is limited.
It all makes sense IMO and no point in being sour about it, Leicester could've had loads of lads who possessed bags of potential to develop around this stage but they chose to cock it all up, over the next five years there will be an even bigger drift of power towards other clubs IMO as some around here with influence have little idea what they are doing or are far too sour about new talent and picky for yes men IMO!
Last edited by BFG on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Too much time on your hands strawclearer :smt005
Seriously, agree with RB, there is a whole team (including uncapped)worthy of a tour left out.
The usual sneerers out in force, please use clairvoyant powers to avoid copying those on my 'foes' list, get enough carp in real life.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote:Too much time on your hands strawclearer :smt005
Seriously, agree with RB, there is a whole team (including uncapped)worthy of a tour left out.
The usual sneerers out in force, please use clairvoyant powers to avoid copying those on my 'foes' list, get enough carp in real life.
The world is full of differing opinions jgriffin but surely you must wonder how on earth the Curry brothers ended up at Sale whilst being just 30 miles down the road from us at Oundle School!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote:
The world is full of differing opinions jgriffin but surely you must wonder how on earth the Curry brothers ended up at Sale whilst being just 30 miles down the road from us at Oundle School!
Prob becuase they have lived in Cheshire (who they played county for and represented North of England) since they where young and both played for Crewe and Nantwich rugby team since they where u10.

But hey let's not have that get in the way of things. Fact is sale has been their local club for a long time.

I mean they have been on sales radar since before they moved to Oundle.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote:
BFG wrote:
Prob becuase they have lived in Cheshire (who they played county for and represented North of England) since they where young and both played for Crewe and Nantwich rugby team since they where u10.

But hey let's not have that get in the way of things. Fact is sale has been their local club for a long time.

So Leicester have never had a young player from Cheshire or Oundle School! :smt017
I suppose it's easier to bring them in from Wales or Australia! :smt005
They missed them, correction they didn't miss them but they misjudged them, a common trait currently!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote:
RagingBull wrote:
BFG wrote:

So Leicester have never had a young player from Cheshire or Oundle School! :smt017
I suppose it's easier to bring them in from Wales or Australia! :smt005
They missed them, correction they didn't miss them but they misjudged them, a common trait currently!
Sale is their local team, it's the club they have supported Since they where young of course they where going to stay at sale.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull
Sale is their local team, it's the club they have supported Since they where young of course they where going to stay at sale.[/
So that would be why they attended Oundle instead of Kings or Kirkham! :smt017
I remember these boys were well down the pecking order at one stage, a great bit of business by Diamond and Co to realise their longer term potential where others did not IMO!
I'm afraid some are just doing it much better than others presently, we need to be much better it's as simple as that!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote:
RagingBull
Sale is their local team, it's the club they have supported Since they where young of course they where going to stay at sale.[/
I remember these boys were well down the pecking order at one stage, a great bit of business by Diamond and Co to realise their longer term potential where others did not IMO!
I'm afraid some are just doing it much better than others presently, we need to be much better it's as simple as that!
What? So because they where already taped up by Sale they couldn't go to Oundle? What rubbish.

Sale tends to do the majoirty of its academy by Clubs not school (something Tigers need to do more often).

Couldn't of been that far down the pecking order considering both where in Cheshire and North of England U16 teams.

Doing a little research Tom was England U16 player of the year and Ben played for England Saxons U16.

Yes so far down the pecking order obviously......
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote:
BFG wrote:
RagingBull
What? So because they where already taped up by Sale they couldn't go to Oundle? What rubbish.

Sale tends to do the majoirty of its academy by Clubs not school (something Tigers need to do more often).

Couldn't of been that far down the pecking order considering both where in Cheshire and North of England U16 teams.
You contradict your entire previous argument there RB, they could go anywhere they wanted!
Some simply didn't rate them highly enough when they were there for the taking or go after them hard enough after, I'd expect us to have a damn good crack at a couple of highly rated Oundle lads, that's not beyond the realms of possibility no matter how many obstacles you try and put up, accept it and accept we need to do it much better!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

You asked the question how do you think the Curries are at sale despite being at Oundle the fact is they where at Sale before they went to Oundle.

In fact they where in the Sale sharks academy since they where 14, they where already capped by England age groups before joining Oundle.

Not sure how I condtidicted my argument either.
agoodetiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by agoodetiger »

Agree RB......plus three points I would like to add:

1. Surely it was their choice of where they wanted to go and play, or has freewill been banned?
2. How do we know what approaches were actually made?
3. There is an age old myth that simply because the Tigers come calling players will automatically join us above anyone else?

No one is saying that Tigers have been doing everything right in the past few years in terms of recruitment, but hey, they never have. It just sometimes works out differently some years compared to others.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Christian Wade might be sitting their thinking... What did I do wrong in a previous life ?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote:You asked the question how do you think the Curries are at sale despite being at Oundle the fact is they where at Sale before they went to Oundle.

In fact they where in the Sale sharks academy since they where 14, they where already capped by England age groups before joining Oundle.

Not sure how I condtidicted my argument either.
I don't see any questions in my previous posts on this topic, check your grammar!
You have completely contradicted yourself and you don't even know it do you! :smt009
It is what it is, but there was a time it would've been perfectly understandable to see former Oundle boys playing here, a sign of the times I think, a drop in standard of identification and development of young English players and a disregard for our importance in that area.
Even if you were correct and they desired to play for Sale it is still alarming that they wouldn't want to come to Leicester instead!
agoodetiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by agoodetiger »

You've asked questions in your previous posts, simply putting an ! at the end of a sentence doesn't stop it becoming a question.

So please explain why it is so 'alarming' that they didn't chose Tigers, why not Saints - Oundle School is nearer Saints than Tigers and John Olver, their uncle is head of rugby at Oundle School and let me see now....which is one of the teams he used to play for?