dunks43

WRU Conflict

Post by dunks43 »

The wru have purchased Dragons, seems like a little conflict of interests

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/wru-ass ... t-dragons/
DigDag

Re: WRU Conflict

Post by DigDag »

Or an episode of "Game Of Thrones" . . .
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

dunks43 wrote:The wru have purchased Dragons, seems like a little conflict of interests

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/wru-ass ... t-dragons/
The Welsh Rugby Union have actually "Nationalised" Rodney Parade, NGD and Newport RFC, these negociations have been going on for several months at NGD's request but have been hastened due to the pending arrival of the 35 year National Treasure in Gavin Henson who returns to the fatherland to restore colour to the flagging region. :smt002
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

wormus wrote:Gavin Henson who returns to the fatherland to restore colour to the flagging region. :smt002
Orange?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
wormus wrote:Gavin Henson who returns to the fatherland to restore colour to the flagging region. :smt002
Orange?
Well dejuiced, the area was famous for coal exports and for bananas, oranges, sugar cane and other tropical imports. Yes Tango boyo will not be in the shade there!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

At least he can catch the train from Cardiff......oh, were trains an issue with him once????? :smt005
PS I think he was a genuine great talent wasted and gone to waste, saw him play as a schoolboy and he was on a different planet even then, excellent vision, anticipation and skills.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Dunks43 I often in my posts chastise the stuffed shirts at the RFU but even they are light years ahead of the WRFU. You would have thought that someone in the organisation would have pointed out this conflict of interest, If I were a Cardiff Blues, Scarlets or Ospreys fan I would be livid at their blatant intervention. If Dragons are going to fail through lack of finance then let them fail, Failure as well as success is part and parcel of Business life.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

When needs must

Worked well in similar circumstances for Glasgow
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Noddy555 wrote:Dunks43 I often in my posts chastise the stuffed shirts at the RFU but even they are light years ahead of the WRFU. You would have thought that someone in the organisation would have pointed out this conflict of interest, If I were a Cardiff Blues, Scarlets or Ospreys fan I would be livid at their blatant intervention. If Dragons are going to fail through lack of finance then let them fail, Failure as well as success is part and parcel of Business life.
Sorry Noddy but I believe you are wrong about a conflict of interest. In Scotland the third region Borders went under and the SRU saw the light and even with their smaller income supported both Glasgow and Edinburgh - who often use Murrayfield. This developed two strong sides in the Pro12 and this effort is so clear to see in the Scottish team and in both Glasgow and Edinburgh.
The action in Wales is long overdue and the new WRU are injecting monies into the four Regional and lower leagues, Newport Gwent Dragons have been saying for over a year they need funds & support otherwise they will fold, they are being "Nationalised" to stop this and quite rightly so to build up the strength and move forward to support the National team. Ospreys at the Liberty is a shambles, the pitch is part owned by the Council and leased to Ospreys and Swans, but all ticketting and food, bar sales etc is administered by the Stadium. The bars closed after half time at the Tigers pre-season game. Cardiff too struggle and Scarlets appear to have the best set up with ground and their own income streams. The WRU actions will develop the national side but meanwhile the attendances at the lower leagues has dropped considerably on past years hence the support from the full houses at the internationals at the Principality Stadium. :smt023
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

But the Sru own both scottish teams , the Wru are planning on buying 1 of the 4 Welsh regions , as Welsh players are on or are moving to dual contracts , how long before all the dual contracts are with the WRU & the WRU subsidory that is Dragons??
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes Dunks 43 but I believe that the SRU were wrong to purchase both Scottish clubs or even one of them. What if a similar occurrence happened to an English club say Wasps for example who I believe still have a lot of debt would you expect the RFU to buy Wasps, and what would the other Aviva clubs say or think about that, Oh it's alright mates if we run up massive debts the RFU will bail us out. I don't think so, Sport like any other business has to stand on it's own two feet.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Noddy555 wrote:Yes Dunks 43 but I believe that the SRU were wrong to purchase both Scottish clubs or even one of them. What if a similar occurrence happened to an English club say Wasps for example who I believe still have a lot of debt would you expect the RFU to buy Wasps, and what would the other Aviva clubs say or think about that, Oh it's alright mates if we run up massive debts the RFU will bail us out. I don't think so, Sport like any other business has to stand on it's own two feet.
The SRU didn't purchase them, they owned the districts in the first place and set them up as clubs when professionalism came round.

This stuff comes up again and again, usually from people who don't realise that if they enforced the whole clubs must be clubs and separate from the unions thing, union would eventually end up the same as league, with only two nations in Europe and a couple in the Southern Hemisphere. Poorly informed argument that makes little sense for the wider game. If you think the Scottish teams have some kind of advantage nowadays off the back of this setup you're not really paying attention.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Biffer if that is the case then that is an entirely different scenario but it wasn't explained by dunks in his post. I do think you are being pessimistic about the state of Rugby worldwide though. What does it mater if Unions become leagues as long as the basic rules of the game don't change and the Ethos remains the same.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

biffer wrote:
The SRU didn't purchase them, they owned the districts in the first place and set them up as clubs when professionalism came round.
Yes SRU set up the club , but then franchised out it out to a business man , before then taking the club back in house..

The fact is both Scottish clubs are currently owned by the SRU ( Although they are currently trying to sell them )

Bit the WRU Want to buy 1 club , how can the WRU then be impartial across all 4 teams when they own one of them ?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

dunks43 wrote:
biffer wrote:
Yes SRU set up the club , but then franchised out it out to a business man , before then taking the club back in house..

The fact is both Scottish clubs are currently owned by the SRU ( Although they are currently trying to sell them )

Bit the WRU Want to buy 1 club , how can the WRU then be impartial across all 4 teams when they own one of them ?

WRU? Impartial ? :smt042 :smt043 :smt044
They have been heavily biased towards Cardiff/Blues for many decades, even though in recent times they have usually been 3rd (or 4th) best region.