Moments of truth

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Moments of truth

Post by MrPartridge »

So after two decent home wins against a more than likely doomed Bristol and a Gloucster side that then beat Saracens we now find out whether this is a full renaissance or only mini-revival.

Next 4 league matches: Quins (A), Exeter (H), Saints (A) and Bath (at HQ).

6 ahead of Saracens and Exeter, 4 behind Bath, minimum 4 clear of Saints, 6 ahead of Quins.

Notable other games over those 4 weeks include: Bath v Wasps, Saracens v Bath, Saracens v Quins and Wasps v Saints.

I still think Top 4 is unlikely but it should be a fun month ahead. Any soothsayers out there?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Moments of truth

Post by westwinds31 »

The players are all smiling and enjoying their rugby, which speaks volumes for Mauger I think. Top 4 is not the pipe dream it was methinks.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I think we will get top 4. We shouldn't rule out 2nd either.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Unless any soothsayer can prove that they predicted Brexit, Trump and Tigers losing to Glasgow 0-43 (I'll allow a margin of 10 points), I'll reserve the right to treat any predictions (as opposed to estimates) as baloney :smt003
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

Cagey Tiger wrote:I'll reserve the right to treat any predictions (as opposed to estimates) as baloney :smt003
Are you sure you don't mean poppycock, hocum or malarkey? Apologies - I watch too much Big Bang. :smt002
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Not withstanding the result next week against the Quins, for me the moment of truth in this season will come against the Chiefs in the home match on Friday 3 March. Both Wasps and Sarries have done the double over us this season if the Chiefs beat us then they will become the third team to slam us home and away. You can't expect to lift trophies if you are constantly losing against these top three sides.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Slight chance of top 4,no chance of top 2!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

It's difficult not to think we have to win all 4 games to even get top 4, never mind second.
Trouble is Quins away has not been a success for us recently but we should beat them on current form: Exeter home brings the second most potent attack and second best defence in terms of points for and against (OK, we are third on both counts but it will be a tough game): Saints away, well, anything could happen but we should beat them on current form : and if we stay injury-free until Bath at HQ I'd fancy us to win on Twickers big pitch.
So Exeter is the most key game amongst 4 key games........time for strong nerve!!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I'm keeping my money firmly in my pocket Mr P, but I'm excited by two good performances, isn't that amazing!!

Long may it last - keep the faith!!!
Soggypitch
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

As Mauger said, should have put the foot the Bristol throat in the 2nd 40. Against better sides it may not be so easy? Having the return of some speed and flair in the back-line has made a real difference but the defence has to go for the full 80. All should be well for the play-offs.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Great win v Bristol: well done to Tigers but I am sure the squad and coaches will be taking things game by game. Quins away is huge. Given our away form and their record at home this is the real test of whether or not the team can realistically get into the top four. Win this one and confidence will be high and then we can think about the next game. One game at a time because should we beat Quins then getting into the top four will be in our hands: concentrate on our games and not anyone else's!
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I'm not getting to forward, Gloucester (the Saracens game apart) are not a particularly good side and Bristol are worse. The return of JJP, Barrow and Veainu is crucial. These four matches will determine our season though, although it depend on the teams around us as well. We could win 1 or 2 matches as still be in contention. Although unlikely.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Quins aren't setting the world alight under Kingston, shorn of their England players and with their fans not too happy they are there for the taking on Friday. Two big home wins shouldmean we go into the match full of confidence. I'm hopeful but no counting of chickens going on... results this weekend have shown how much better most teams are at home.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I hope Eddie doesn't retain Mike Williams for the Italy game, he was immense on Saturday (back to form at last) and we will need him on Friday night.
Soggypitch
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Spicer wrote:I'm not getting to forward, Gloucester (the Saracens game apart) are not a particularly good side
In amongst all their so-so results, they also beat Wasps 36-18 in the AP. They do have their moments.