Is it now time to thank the board (and Mauger)?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Is it now time to thank the board (and Mauger)?

Post by fentiger »

WiggoTiger wrote:Who would want to come to Tigers at the moment??
Any team we're playing :smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Something will happen,my Father and I walked out disgusted at HT and a lot of folk left after an hour too which by all accounts was shown on BT,good! This job is way too big for Mauger,roots and branches!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Scott1 wrote:Something will happen,my Father and I walked out disgusted at HT and a lot of folk left after an hour too which by all accounts was shown on BT,good! This job is way too big for Mauger,roots and branches!
TBH I have never seen so many seats not refilled after half time, people leaving with 30 minutes left....unheard of. Sadly this is the demise that some have been denying on here for ages. Board not fussed as had the money before they all left!!

Will people turn up next week?? :smt017
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Mauger is out of his depth, Cohen is a fake, both need to go it's intolerable that they are allowed to remain in place whilst Tigers burns in the bonfire of their vanities.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Aaron Mauger: "I thought the effort was there, we can't really fault that."

It's not denial. He's just very selective about the reality he accepts.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

strawclearer wrote:Aaron Mauger: "I thought the effort was there, we can't really fault that."

Someone tell the poor deluded fool that Tigers were the team in Green, Red & White :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

strawclearer wrote:Aaron Mauger: "I thought the effort was there, we can't really fault that."

This is what really got me from that interview. Surely he can't honestly believe that is true... :smt009
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sapajo wrote:Mauger is out of his depth, Cohen is a fake, both need to go it's intolerable that they are allowed to remain in place whilst Tigers burns in the bonfire of their vanities.
Never used to agree with you and then we both started singing from the same hymnsheet.
The rot started towards the end of MOC's regime when we had no Plan B (do you remember the posts?) but survived because there were players who could play flat and make it work. Many of them retired or left soon after. Then the board went with no new input, and Cockers was daft enough to take on extra and kept amateur ex-players as coaches.
We kept going OK anyway because there was enough of the power game left, and enough success to promise more 'if Manu was fit' etc. as well as half a season of Blake's 'catenaccio' defence.
Once it became obvious that we were falling behind, largely by not investing in very good players (although more than a few of Cockers' projects' worked out)then the third fatal error was made - we appointed a rookie coach with no great success record, and had to hire his mate as well. Both of them IMO were/aren't up to it. We had a pre-season with a highter aerobic emphasis, the same approach that doomed England in WC2015, and we are playing as badly as they did.
By then we were well up the brown creek as the end of last season and the whole of this so far proved, and the hapless Hansen was collateral.
Then the board made its fourth fatal error, it sacked the heart of Tigers obduracy, the bloke who shouted at them to dominate etc. Yes he may have been a dinosaur, he may have reached the end of his reign, but he was the DOR not the Head Coach and had IMO struggled on for a couple of seasons with inadequate support from the board on all fronts.
So no, it isn't time to thank anyone for their mismanagement, but if anyone deserved the booing at halftime, it was the board, not the players.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Nearly agree. It was the board AND the players
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Old Hob wrote:Nearly agree. It was the board AND the players
Some of the players are worth it - Hamilton, Ed, Genge, Coley, Bateman played their guts out. Mostly they looked lost, as if there wasn't an actual system in place. Having a shylite ref compounded the woe.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Leicester head coach Aaron Mauger told BBC Radio Leicester: "Glasgow played very well but they broke us down and sapped our energy.

"We just weren't good enough. There's nothing we can take out of the game as a real positive.

"It was clearly embarrassing for all involved and it's not a situation I've found myself in through my career, I've always been part of successful sides.

"It's not through a lack of effort or a lack of wanting to be better, but a lack of execution and collectively we need to be better."
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Not Cole or Slater; Genge, Thompstone, Brady, Burns, Harrison. Tait, Betham, on the "B" list. Cole a penalty machine and too slow around the pitch, Slater only pretends to be interested,
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

jgriffin wrote:
sapajo wrote:Mauger is out of his depth, Cohen is a fake, both need to go it's intolerable that they are allowed to remain in place whilst Tigers burns in the bonfire of their vanities.
Never used to agree with you and then we both started singing from the same hymnsheet.
The rot started towards the end of MOC's regime when we had no Plan B (do you remember the posts?) but survived because there were players who could play flat and make it work. Many of them retired or left soon after. Then the board went with no new input, and Cockers was daft enough to take on extra and kept amateur ex-players as coaches.
We kept going OK anyway because there was enough of the power game left, and enough success to promise more 'if Manu was fit' etc. as well as half a season of Blake's 'catenaccio' defence.
Once it became obvious that we were falling behind, largely by not investing in very good players (although more than a few of Cockers' projects' worked out)then the third fatal error was made - we appointed a rookie coach with no great success record, and had to hire his mate as well. Both of them IMO were/aren't up to it. We had a pre-season with a highter aerobic emphasis, the same approach that doomed England in WC2015, and we are playing as badly as they did.
By then we were well up the brown creek as the end of last season and the whole of this so far proved, and the hapless Hansen was collateral.
Then the board made its fourth fatal error, it sacked the heart of Tigers obduracy, the bloke who shouted at them to dominate etc. Yes he may have been a dinosaur, he may have reached the end of his reign, but he was the DOR not the Head Coach and had IMO struggled on for a couple of seasons with inadequate support from the board on all fronts.
So no, it isn't time to thank anyone for their mismanagement, but if anyone deserved the booing at halftime, it was the board, not the players.
+1
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Nobody can doubt the boards ability as regards off pitch business although there are questions regarding the Business structure of the company and I still think we need to secure a sugar daddy, Particularly as at least two other English clubs are stretching the salary wage cap ceiling beyond a joke and the French just seem to ignore it, if it applies at all over there.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Noddy, I smile at most of your posts but this one takes the cake.
The very last thing we need is a Sugar Daddy! Look around you for heavens sake.
The leagues are littered with the wrecks of clubs who relied on sugar daddies.
One well known club I could mention, who were high flyers down here were left with
75 pence in the bank when theirs walked away. He even took assets he had bought
with him.
There is nothing wrong with Tigers financial structure and we are one of only a couple
in the premiership to regularly make a profit, while at the same time, rebuilding the ground.
Tigers are built on a solid foundation and operated by some of the smartest business brains
in the country. So I have every confidence that we are well managed financially.
My beef with the board was their eight year loyalty to RC when it was obvious to so many
that all was not well under him. That they backed him with money for recruiting is undeniable
but many of those calls by RC were stupid, to say the least. They certainly took their eye off
the ball there and should rightly be blamed for it.
A life long Tiger