Team up v Munster!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Team up v Munster!

Post by LE18 »

Roberts had his best game for us, tackled well and we saw that pace he has, similar pace as to when he scored that try last year, deserves more starts. Hamilton also showed some fight, he showed up last week as a late replacement, agreed re Cillers and Bateman. Blimey cant Zebo shift!
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Thanks Tigerbeat - I didn't really hang around as I was more interested in making sure I got my 80 year old father out of the ground safely , although he's a judo black belt so he could probably still defend himself ..... and look after me :smt002
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Old Hob wrote:It was progress in that it was better than last week, but climbing out of the cellar (and winning by a sniff) is not conquering the Alps (never mind Everest).
However, I think Thompstone is our most underrated player. Always committed.
Agreed on Tombstone, Old Hob, but please can we add Hamilton to the list? He gets better and better.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

tigercaspian wrote:
Old Hob wrote:It was progress in that it was better than last week, but climbing out of the cellar (and winning by a sniff) is not conquering the Alps (never mind Everest).
However, I think Thompstone is our most underrated player. Always committed.
Agreed on Tombstone, Old Hob, but please can we add Hamilton to the list? He gets better and better.
One more for it, Jack Roberts played out of his skin today. Longest pitch time I think he's had.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Left a happier man than last week, Roberts the stand out back alongside Tombstone and Betham. Why take Betham for Brady IMO?? What does Brady offer??
Sadly Toms lineouts at crucial times went amiss again, we did actually commit to the breakdown better today which pleased me!!

The ref was puzzling all game, their No1 was scrummaging on an angle all game and he never got binned, the Zebo kick and chase penalty in 1st half why was the ball put on the 15 metre line when it bounced on the 5 metre line, also tigers penalised for dangerous tackle in a ruck???

A great win but is it papering over the cracks??
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tigerbeat wrote:Just got online and disappointed to see the post from Southerntiger.....the post and all relating to it have been removed and appropriate action taken with them.....
Thanks to all those who reported it through the system.

The Tigers team that turned out today showed passion and fight against a Munster team that was similiar to last week. Still short of lots of players, they showed that they are capable of dogging it out for victories.
Thought that Jack Roberts had an outstanding game and should be given more opportunities in the centre.

Happy that a win was gained.....

:smt023
Damn right :smt038
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

"Jack Roberts played out of his skin today. Longest pitch time I think he's had."

He also had a complete :censored: moment at the end of the first half; 15 seconds to go means 15 seconds to go; it's not like in your training game "near enough". Nearly cost us points/ the game
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Old Hob wrote:"Jack Roberts played out of his skin today. Longest pitch time I think he's had."

He also had a complete :censored: moment at the end of the first half; 15 seconds to go means 15 seconds to go; it's not like in your training game "near enough". Nearly cost us points/ the game
All players are prone to the brain fart every now and again. Thankfully, the resulting penalty was missed and they made it over the line in the end. I've been a fan of Roberts and I too thought he put a good shift in for us.

For those who've noted no positives from the game - we won (1 tick), we had more players crocked than we did last week, despite Mike Williams returning (1 tick). We did give away some silly penalties but did also get pinged for a few that the ref may need to explain his thinking on.

All in all, a win is a win is a win. The players will hopefully take confidence from the win alone and hope we can rotate the side reasonably well over the next three games and come away with some points.

Let's hope Santa brings Manu an extra brain cell and a bit more luck for us on the injury front.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Old Hob wrote: Nearly cost us points/ the game
But didn't.

I'm sure he'll learn from it.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

That was much more like it. Plenty of mistakes still but we were not dominated like last week and showed a lot of fight. Agree on Roberts being very good today apart from that horrid mistake at the end of the first half. I'd forgotten how stupid Manu can be. In the few games he has played this season he has been poor.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

Old Hob wrote:"Jack Roberts played out of his skin today. Longest pitch time I think he's had."

It was a silly mistake, but I think you'll agree his overall performance made up for it.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

SirGordonRamsey wrote:

It was a silly mistake, but I think you'll agree his overall performance made up for it.
One of the clocks in the stadium was showing 40 minutes but this was not the one being controlled by the timekeeper. Hence why he kicked it out!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Enjoyed the game today. I have been predicting a narrow victory all week and so it transpired - just!

Much better defence, much better scrum and much better at the breakdown!

More heart goes without saying. Good performances from lots of players, but Roberts was particularly good.

Negatives; lineout, ball retention, silly penalties, lack of penetration (we never actually looked like scoring a try).

Great result but lots and lots to work on.

Ps. Bateman could play for England in the next couple of years IMO.
Soggypitch
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

SirGordonRamsey wrote:

It was 4 seconds to go too, not 15. Either way, it's easy to blame one player, but where were his team mates communicating that they needed one phase before it could be cleared?

Other than that one error, Roberts was outstanding and should have been up for MotM. Worth was better than last week, and it appeared Munster stopped targeting him quite so much after the first quarter. Good start for Cilliers; he really seems to have settled in now.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Main points from today for me:
1. Much pride restored.
2. Something to build from. We need to replicate the attitude and physicality for the next few weeks. If we can then as our injured players return we can go from strength to strength.
3. Great atmosphere and excellent craic with the Munster fans.
4. Great performances from Roberts, Genge, Hamilton, Cilliers and, of course Owen Williams for making all his kicks especially that last one. Most of the rest not far behind them.
5. Another solid performance from Worth.
6. Manu largely anonymous. Stupid yellow card. It may be sacrilege but I thought we were better during the 10 minutes he was in the bin. Obviously needs more game time.
7. Great to see Mike Williams back!
8. Lineout and dealing with opposition driving mauls need some work.
9. Much better at breakdown.
10. Bemused by some of the refereeing decisions.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!