George North stood down from playing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: George North stood down from playing

Post by Iain »

I've perhaps either misunderstood or worded that wrongly. My understanding is that if there is a decision over fitness to play that should only be the medic's call. Perhaps I'm wrong, or I've understood that a little too simplistically.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:
Iain wrote:It isn't the referee's call at any point - they are completely removed from responsibility of making a decision on a player's fitness.
Incorrect, the referee can exclude any player he deems unfit to play, even if the Doctor, Medic, Physio, Coach and Player says he's fine!
That's my understanding as well
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Right, but it isn't the referee's responsibility to look for those things. The responsibility does not fall on the referee if they miss it.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

trendylfj wrote:I will offer another explanation as to why he was allowed to return and not kept off by the ref or the medics...

...The club medics were on the field, heads down looking after GN and they certainly didn't look at the replays.
That shouldn't be when they are looking at them, and no one thinks that. However, they should have access to replays once off the field.

Time for an independent doctor to be in attendance? Players like North are seen as matchwinners and both club and country appear to be reluctant to let him leave the field of play.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Iain wrote:Right, but it isn't the referee's responsibility to look for those things. The responsibility does not fall on the referee if they miss it.
The decision ultimately is still with the ref which is a good thing bearing in mind some unscrupulous coaches, players and medic/physios at certain levels.

Then of course there is the litigious element to consider, eg:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/p ... -1.2847339
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Don't the medics have iPads, or similar, so that they can review the incidents?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Don't the medics have iPads, or similar, so that they can review the incidents?
The medics have an ipad but not sure that it is getting all camera angles that are used for TV.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

This was clear on the screen though. He wasn't moving at all. Surely their medics would have noticed that as they ran up to him, even though they were trying to avoid the handbags after the tackle/ non-tackle.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not convinced that it was a head injury.
I think he was winded. Didn't seem to land on his head (in front of me live and replay views) so not sure blaming the Saints medics is fair.

No suggestion he was faking whatsoever.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

mol2 wrote:Not convinced that it was a head injury.
I think he was winded. Didn't seem to land on his head (in front of me live and replay views) so not sure blaming the Saints medics is fair.

Whether he landed on his head or not, his brain still would have suffered quite a deceleration.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

BT bosses displeased that Northampton say they didn't see that North was unconscious, since they provide feeds to both sets of coaches.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... otage.html

Premier Rugby bosses on Tuesday convened a Concussion Management Review group comprising of RFU's director of professional rugby, Nigel Melville, Premier Rugby's rugby director Phil Winstanley and an independent chairman, Dr Julian Morris.
The group, which has the power to recommend the club or an individual at the club be charged with misconduct, was expected to deliver its findings on Wednesday. Last night it emerged a decision will now be delayed until Thursday 'at the earliest'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... z4SESvnrPo
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Valhalla I am coming!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

mol2 wrote:Not convinced that it was a head injury.

he landed on his side and his head clearly whipped quite a bit.

whilst it may not have hit the ground (but I think it did) it certainly accelarated and deccelerated quickly which would have caused his brain to bounce inside his skull
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

i think the comments from the BT person says it all, how could no-one see what happened when it was replayed on the big screens multiple time., when we first saw it as it happened it didn't look good.. hopefully there is no serious damage but you have to wonder about their 'protocols'.

I did notice that when Sarra ask Jim the question he didn't answer it directly, but effectively quoted the rules at her, quite patronizingly I thought..
cheers
Rich
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The outcome of this will not be pretty at all. Someone up high is going to take a dim view of this whatever the version of events that gets accepted.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

No-one else seems to have mentioned the way that he fell the last foot or so to the ground. Arms hanging limp at his side, head just flopping into the ground. No muscle control i.e. unconscious.