The Local Derby v Saints!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Local Derby v Saints!

Post by Grimlish »

There is meja hype around the investigation - my understanding is it's a normal protocol to review all instances of the use of HIAs and this is no different.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

All this talk of the yellow and North's injury is detracting from what I thought was a pretty poor advert for Premiership rugby. I think Saints came for the draw as it where and the ref played into their hands. Every line out or scrum took an age. I think we also showed a lack of imagination when we were attacking their try line early in that second half which compounded the issue. But it really was a largely a dull match. Maybe more fans would stay in their seats if the action was more scintillating.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sapajo wrote: I fear the strong possibility of a post match sanction for Tommo.
That would be a travesty. A fairer outcome in my opinion would be North cited for dangerous play and an apology issued from Premier Rugby to Tombstone for the yellow. Oh and...I want a big, line-busting 8 from Santa!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote:All this talk of the yellow and North's injury is detracting from what I thought was a pretty poor advert for Premiership rugby. I think Saints came for the draw as it where and the ref played into their hands. Every line out or scrum took an age. I think we also showed a lack of imagination when we were attacking their try line early in that second half which compounded the issue. But it really was a largely a dull match. Maybe more fans would stay in their seats if the action was more scintillating.
Interesting view point and I tend to agree. Furthermore, it struck me that a number of Saints players including Picamoles, Hayward and Burrell went down with regular monotony as if they had been shot by a bolt pistol resulting in the game being stopped they then got up and played as if nothing happened.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

"Ourla - But it really was a largely a dull match. Maybe more fans would stay in their seats if the action was more scintillating."

I don't know how old you are, Ourla but I would have thought the excitement and extra pressure of a scintillating match was the last thing our bladder-bloated fellow fans wanted!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Sadly I suspect so. Just watched it back, North had no need to jump for the ball, his forward momentum carries him into Thommo, who sort of tackles him/protects his head. He had no time to get out of the way. It is very, very close to jumping into a tackle, which is still, I believe, against the laws.
I would hope, but doubt, that the yellow will be rescinded.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Grimlish wrote:There is meja hype around the investigation - my understanding is it's a normal protocol to review all instances of the use of HIAs and this is no different.
Well if it is "normal protocol to review all instances of the use of HIAs and this is no different" I have not heard of one being publicly announced before. Indeed the last announced investigation into an HIA I heard of was last season post our semi vs Racing 92 and the Goosen incident that was conducted by European Rugby. If it is the case that all HIA instances are reviewed then Premiership rugby would be extremely busy.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

sapajo wrote:
ourla wrote:All this talk of the yellow and North's injury is detracting from what I thought was a pretty poor advert for Premiership rugby. I think Saints came for the draw as it where and the ref played into their hands. Every line out or scrum took an age. I think we also showed a lack of imagination when we were attacking their try line early in that second half which compounded the issue. But it really was a largely a dull match. Maybe more fans would stay in their seats if the action was more scintillating.
Interesting view point and I tend to agree. Furthermore, it struck me that a number of Saints players including Picamoles, Hayward and Burrell went down with regular monotony as if they had been shot by a bolt pistol resulting in the game being stopped they then got up and played as if nothing happened.
I actually commented to my mate that on occasion the physio came on and was massaging Picamoles knee but when I looked the replay on the big screen he'd actually taken a knock in the lower back. And sure enough when he stood up he was stretching and feeling his back that the physio hadn't touched. It wasn't a heavy blow either. Anyway, I am not normally one for such tittle tattle. And in some ways I don't blame them. As the away team with some players missing and lacking in confidence trying to frustrate and grind out a result was a sensible option. It's up to the referee to be aware of that and chivvy things along.

As my mate observed there was an increased urgency from them when they were 5 points down with 5 minutes to go and a win was a possibility!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The investigation is specifically with regards to North's head injury.

There is enough to suggest he may have been unconscious briefly from the television pictures. The investigation will, I imagine, focus on whether correct protocol was followed and if a player's welfare was jeopardised by correct procedure not being followed. If it wasn't followed, why not?

It is right that this is investigated.
Saintberni

Post by Saintberni »

After visiting your ground and seeing what your director or rugby is suggesting I can see why the ridiculous comments are being made on here.

Your winger did not have to move out of the way nor did he have to wrap his arms around the players legs when he was in the air. Red or Yellow both would of been justified. Did you see such ludicrous suggestions from saints fans when Brookes was red carded, No he got what he deserved with the current interpretation of the laws whether we like them or not.
I say after visiting your ground, I have been to all of the away grounds throughout the years and cannot recall the home side not making a point of welcoming visiting players staff and coaches. Nor have I been so embarrassed when a group of your so called fans spent the entire match shouting and singing vile comments littered with four letter words and unbelievably the C word. Poor in itself but when my wife is stood immediately next to them just disgusting. We shouldn't have been surprised then when on leaving we asked to squeeze through ( as the walkway was completely blocked) only to be blanked with said inbreds actually making it more difficult to pass.
Rugby is a game for gents, it's just a shame Tigger fans cannot be classified as such.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

drc.007 described our scrum as a penalty machine with Thacker there he ignores the success against the head, the ground made in open play and the ball winning by Harry to concentrate on the one scrum penalty against us while Thacker was on. The change of Hooker on 50 minutes was obviously a planned change. The second scrum penalty against us was after the change, in neither case is it possible to judge from the stands or TV where the blame lies, credit was given to Saints prop Waller.
Initially I thought their try was a double movement, I still think that could have been given but having watched it now on tv I think Mr Doyle got it right. He was however wrong about the high tackle on Owen that should have been a yellow card.
In the North incident the bounce of the ball was impossible to read, North jumped into contact taking off only one pace away from Thompstone he actually still had one foot on the grass as he caught the ball he led with his knee towards Adam's head who raised his arms to North's legs. I don't know what Thompstone could have done, I don't blame North who is a fine player but in this instance showed poor technique. Referees have to examine the circumstances of these situations and not just hand out cards on the basis of how player lands, if someone is in the air why is he in the air? If it is in the lineout or to stop a ball that would otherwise have gone into touch fair enough but if it is simply to avoid a tackle or to gain momentum into contact then that should be a decision against the airborne traveller, in my humble opinion of course.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Saintberni wrote:After visiting your ground and seeing what your director or rugby is suggesting I can see why the ridiculous comments are being made on here.

Your winger did not have to move out of the way nor did he have to wrap his arms around the players legs when he was in the air. Red or Yellow both would of been justified. Did you see such ludicrous suggestions from saints fans when Brookes was red carded, No he got what he deserved with the current interpretation of the laws whether we like them or not.
I say after visiting your ground, I have been to all of the away grounds throughout the years and cannot recall the home side not making a point of welcoming visiting players staff and coaches. Nor have I been so embarrassed when a group of your so called fans spent the entire match shouting and singing vile comments littered with four letter words and unbelievably the C word. Poor in itself but when my wife is stood immediately next to them just disgusting. We shouldn't have been surprised then when on leaving we asked to squeeze through ( as the walkway was completely blocked) only to be blanked with said inbreds actually making it more difficult to pass.
Rugby is a game for gents, it's just a shame Tigger fans cannot be classified as such.
Abusive behaviour from any fans is indefensible and I for one apologise for your experience at Welford Rd. Sadly, truth is their are always a minority of so called fans that indulge in such appalling inexcusible behaviour for which there is no place in rugby. You labelling all Tigers fans with the same brush is frankly ludicrous and irresponsible. I must say that would it come as a great shock to you, that my daughter and her boyfriend were verbally threatened and abused by a group of so called Saints fans at the Gardens during the 14/15 season derby match and as a result will never go back?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Just seen saintBernies post. I am shocked and very sorry for his and his wife's experience. It sounds as if they were on the Crumbie terrace, two of my daughters and their children stand on the terrace and behaviour is normally very good and is the equal or better than any other ground, and I visit them all each season. However occasionally at all grounds including Welford Rd and Franklyns Gardens you get some ill behaved idiots especially when there is a late start with extra drinking time. There is no excuse people are responsible for their own behaviour, please Saintbernie don't judge Tigers by this experience, I could detail bad behaviour by Saints fans but 99% of them like Tigers are great fans passionate for their team whilst maintaining the sporting traditions of rugby although of course support for a team does colour a view of any on pitch incident.
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

Saintberni wrote:After visiting your ground and seeing what your director or rugby is suggesting I can see why the ridiculous comments are being made on here.

I'm so sorry to hear of your problems, but in the interests of fairness I will tell all what we saw on the terraces on saturday.

Below us was a group of Saints fans who had in our opinion far to mush to drink prior to coming into the ground.
Bad language, including the c word, were ongoing until someone must have called a steward he tried to reminstrate with the group, two of which were women, I wont call them ladies, only to be told to :censored: off. several minutes later more stewards came to tell the group they would be ejected if they continued. This seemed to have an effect until a couple of minutes before the final whistle when they wanted to leave, they did not like that they were quite hemmed in as it was quite busy on the terrace, so they told those around them that they ought to get the ":censored: out of the way" if they knew what was good for them"

So sir its not only "home" fans that can problems and those that behave in such a manner I find are not Rugby fans, but those on a jolly for the day making it awful for all us "true" fans.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Saintberni wrote: Rugby is a game for gents, it's just a shame Tigger fans cannot be classified as such.
Tarring everyone with the same brush through stereotyping is just plain wrong. I can't abide people who stereotype - particularly racists and Norwegians. :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives