Does anyone seriously think we can escape the group?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Does anyone seriously think we can escape the group?

Post by MrPartridge »

We've had a few recent hammerings away in Europe but last night may have been a new low. Does anyone genuinely think we can get out of the group? Best case scenario I can see is 14 points made up of 3 home wins plus a TBP and an LBP. Anyone more optimistic than that?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Does anyone seriously think we can escape the group?

Post by G.K »

MrPartridge wrote:We've had a few recent hammerings away in Europe but last night may have been a new low. Does anyone genuinely think we can get out of the group? Best case scenario I can see is 14 points made up of 3 home wins plus a TBP and an LBP. Anyone more optimistic than that?
After last night? Dream on!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

I think a good benchmark will be next weekend against Racing. My gut feeling is at best we may come 3rd, all it will take is a couple of losing bonus points at Welford Road for the opposition and that will see us out of the running. The only small compensation is that all the other teams will be taking points off each other and a more positive outcome may not necessarily be within our control.

It will be a very tough campaign but based on last night's performance regretfully I cannot see beyond 4th.

It is difficult to see how a week of training can address the fundamental issues seen last night. A more serious and difficult area to address is player confidence. The Tigers of a few years ago had a motivational fear of losing, this now just feels like a fear of losing.

What they really need to develop and very quickly is a group of reliable experienced leaders on the pitch to start to string a series of consecutive results together. I am sure there are players within the squad that can step into this role; my largest fear and I have nothing to support this, but it feels that all is not well in the camp. This is purely observational but it does seem that the team is a collective of individuals at the moment, lacking some undefinable adhesion. It has been mentioned on another thread that the Cockerill / Mauger relationship is strained, a performance last night is not going to soften that if that is the case.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

I hope I'm wrong but I think no is the simple answer.

In fact If you look at the fixtures to the end of January (ignoring the Micky mouse cup) on current form there's only a couple of games I'd give us a chance of winning.

There is no fear of Leicester Tigers or Welford Road anymore.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Not seen the game but expectations were not overly confident given that Glasgow are a good side, home advantage and a plastic pitch. Away wins are hard and this is a tough group which probably only the top team are likely to progress. Racing should and probably will top the group to qualify.
It is going to be tough but whilst still mathematically possible I continue to have faith.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Tigerbeat wrote:Not seen the game but expectations were not overly confident given that Glasgow are a good side, home advantage and a plastic pitch. Away wins are hard and this is a tough group which probably only the top team are likely to progress. Racing should and probably will top the group to qualify.
It is going to be tough but whilst still mathematically possible I continue to have faith.
While expectations weren't over confident, the performance last night was dire, I can only recall one time the players looked less motivated and less confident in themselves and that was the drubbing at the Rec a couple of seasons back.

It's been said before, and it bears repeating, this team is very good on paper; the players that we have we should be winning games like this, not necessarily walking them but winning them, and we're not, and it seems like the problems aren't necessarily tactical, basic errors and a lack of clarity of thought. I mean, I don't know how you fix them, but I hope someone who is paid to can work it out and soon.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

In short- No.

We have hardly looked capable against domestic opposition so why should be kid ourselves we will be one of this year's top sides in Europe without a miracle.

We are probably at similar level to Bath, Worcs and Glaws.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

CAN we escape the Group? Yes, there are still enough points on offer to do so.

WILL we escape the Group? Probably Not, going further, in reality No. Because I don't think we've got what it takes to secure those points, and deny others the BPs against us (TBPs & LBPs)
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

It's unlikely. We need to win away at least once and get at least 2TBPs at home (and then hope the other results in the group are a lottery with few BPs gathered by the others).
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

With reference to the OP

NO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

MrPartridge wrote:We've had a few recent hammerings away in Europe but last night may have been a new low. Does anyone genuinely think we can get out of the group? Best case scenario I can see is 14 points made up of 3 home wins plus a TBP and an LBP. Anyone more optimistic than that?
Honestly? I think even that may be optimistic. But I certainly dont see us getting out of our group.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Not sure it has ever happened before but could this be a group where everyone wins their home games? 3 matches so far and no away team has been within single figures.

If I had to bet I'd take Munster to progress. They're going to be so pumped and desperate to get through this year after their tragic loss.

But at least the 4-0 win against Racing makes it interesting.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

One of the beauties of the competition is that there are always unexpected results that throw predictions out of the window. I'm sure there will be many twists and turns to come.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

As in most years, the bonus points haul will decide this group IMHO. For us to escape this group, we will still need to win one away game and I do think that we have a real chance to do that. Can't see any side not losing at least twice and only the top team going through. I can see us winning in Limerick where we have a great record, particularly after last nights performance.
Hehehehehehehehe
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Realistically the away game the sides were targeting was Glasgow.
I might be wrong but I don't see Glasgow as qualifiers from this group.

I would still have Racing as favourites and unless they implode I don't see Munster or Glasgow winning there. Not sure Munster can win in Glasgow but Stade probably will.

Given the points difference I think we need to win all of our games from now on.