Harry Thacker

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Harry Thacker

Post by Iain »

A very good all round footballer who save for a size disadvantage often undermining him, I wouldn't ever worry about seeing at hooker.

He has two very good players ahead of him at hooker and is probably the best third choice hooker in the Premiership.

In the interests of his development and in his career the best thing for him, sad as it might be, would be to seek a move away from here after this season.

That's my thought process anyway. He's too good to be third choice but he IS third choice.

Discuss.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Harry Thacker

Post by Noddy555 »

My thoughts about Harry Thacker is that he is a far better player than the new hooker McGuigan and he should at least be on the bench for every game, and if Tom Youngs form doesn't get any better then he should be in the starting 15. As I consider Youngs better than Hartley, surely then that means Thacker should at least be in the England squad.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Noddy555 wrote:My thoughts about Harry Thacker is that he is a far better player than the new hooker McGuigan and he should at least be on the bench for every game, and if Tom Youngs form doesn't get any better then he should be in the starting 15. As I consider Youngs better than Hartley, surely then that means Thacker should at least be in the England squad.
What are you basing your view that Thacker is better than McGuigan out of interest. Cockers and Mauger, it seems, disagree with you.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

He's just not big enough to be a hooker at the highest level - by that I mean against the top teams in Europe and I doubt will ever get an England call up.

And before anyone says that size isn't everything, in the front row it is. Any loose play is a bonus, but the scrum and mall needs to be the yard stick by which they are measured. Remember Andy Tittterell - great in the loose, good club player, but never more than a cameo England career.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

FAR TOO SMALL TO BE A PREMIERSHIP HOOKER. END OF..
Now a No 9-------- YES !!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Rubbish one of the best hookers ever was the Irish lad Wood and at the beginning of his career he was even smaller and thinner than Harry. Harry will fill out in time in terms of both size and strength.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Noddy555 wrote:Rubbish one of the best hookers ever was the Irish lad Wood and at the beginning of his career he was even smaller and thinner than Harry. Harry will fill out in time in terms of both size and strength.

Thacker is 23 not 17, and Keith Wood was still a fair bit bigger.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

fortysix wrote:FAR TOO SMALL TO BE A PREMIERSHIP HOOKER. END OF..
Now a No 9-------- YES !!
:smt023 Always thought this was a logical move given his dexterity, size and skill-set. Maybe he doesn't want to be a 9..?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Apparently according to a friend of mine who went to the A league match on Monday Harry had a stormer of a game and was easily the best player on the pitch.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Yes he might well be against the majority of also rans, but all in the know will tell you that against the really big teams, he is just too small--------ask Marcos and Dan.

A must have if he could play No 9
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Noddy555 wrote:Apparently according to a friend of mine who went to the A league match on Monday Harry had a stormer of a game and was easily the best player on the pitch.
That is not true. IMHO.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

In my humble opinion Harry should always be on the bench at least. Last season his try against Saints at Franklins was great and a game changer. His line out throwing is better than our other two so called more illustrious hookers. Most fans round by us at the game on Saturday were crying out for his enthusiasm and dynamism at hooker, 7 or maybe even centre!! Evans also needed as we have no forwards who keep up with
play.
For me a major problem with selection at the moment is players in form last season suddenly get dropped. Sorry but even the fantastic Youngs, and others should have to earn the right to the shirt. Now to see which team reacts best after last week-end. I worry that Deano will be more inspirational than Mauger or Cockerill!! Play Thacker and Evans on a fast track and we may win!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

it does not happen very often but I agree with Noddy, I think to much has been made of Thacker's lack of size and not enough of what he actually does. It is all reminiscent of the comments made about Neil Back. Obviously McGuigan has joined us and must be given his chance but I believe Harry gives us something that no other hooker offers. I played on the front row for many years and in my experience a 2 (or B) only pushed on the opposition put in and those scrums are normally lost whatever the size of hooker.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Ian Cant wrote:In my humble opinion Harry should always be on the bench at least. Last season his try against Saints at Franklins was great and a game changer. His line out throwing is better than our other two so called more illustrious hookers. Most fans round by us at the game on Saturday were crying out for his enthusiasm and dynamism at hooker, 7 or maybe even centre!! Evans also needed as we have no forwards who keep up with
play.
For me a major problem with selection at the moment is players in form last season suddenly get dropped. Sorry but even the fantastic Youngs, and others should have to earn the right to the shirt. Now to see which team reacts best after last week-end. I worry that Deano will be more inspirational than Mauger or Cockerill!! Play Thacker and Evans on a fast track and we may win!
Agreed. Thacker makes more metres per carry than most forwards, his lineout work is some of the best in the business, he makes his tackles, disrupts the opposition breakdown, supports in attack like an openside and people don't want him to play because we won't win scrum penalties?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I love Harry Thacker's drive and irrepressible enthusiasm, but size is an issue.

Neither Cole or Ayerza are massive props, compare

Ayerza 115kg
Thacker 92 kg
Cole 123 kg

with

Vunipola M 124 kg
George 113 kg
du Plessis 127 kg

A difference of 34 kg (or just under 6 stone); when you add in "athletic" locks and a lightweight No8 the Tigers pack looks pretty underpowered.