Slow Motion

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

A Blinding Glimpse of the Obvious!

Post by DickyP »

Something Rugby fans have known ever since TV replays were introduced.

Slow-motion replays can distort criminal responsibility
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Slow Motion

Post by LessThanSte »

Spotted this on the BBC website this morning;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36940475
Slow-motion video replays of crimes shown in courtrooms may be distorting the outcomes of trials, according to a US study.

Researchers found that slowing down footage of violent acts caused viewers to see greater intent to harm than when viewed at normal speed.

Viewing a killing only in slow motion made a jury three times more likely to convict of first degree murder.
I've long been convinced that TMO reviews suffer from this, whether in the case of foul play or scoring decisions (the former is far more common). Late/hard hits, for example, look significantly different in slow motion.

I wonder if this is something that World Rugby ought to have a think about, with the proliferation of TMO decision making into the game.
#48 FTW :)
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Slow Motion

Post by loretta »

Had a quick Google, and found this paper.

http://citation.allacademic.com/meta/p_ ... index.html

Lee, Seungjo. "The Effects of Slow Motion on Viewers� Emotional and Cognitive Processing" Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association, Sheraton New York, New York City, NY

This study examined the effects of Slow Motion on the physiological, emotional, and cognitive responses of college participants while watching negative and positive television messages. Results indicate that the presence of slow motion does not affect the orienting responses. It was also reported that it takes time for slow motion to increase cognitive efforts in viewers, slow motion affects the experience of negative emotions rather than positive emotions, and slow motion has little, if any, affect on arousal response in viewers. Theoretical and practical implications of the findings are discussed.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

loretta wrote:Had a quick Google, and found this paper.

http://citation.allacademic.com/meta/p_ ... index.html

Lee, Seungjo. "The Effects of Slow Motion on Viewers� Emotional and Cognitive Processing" Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association, Sheraton New York, New York City, NY

This study examined the effects of Slow Motion on the physiological, emotional, and cognitive responses of college participants while watching negative and positive television messages. Results indicate that the presence of slow motion does not affect the orienting responses. It was also reported that it takes time for slow motion to increase cognitive efforts in viewers, slow motion affects the experience of negative emotions rather than positive emotions, and slow motion has little, if any, affect on arousal response in viewers. Theoretical and practical implications of the findings are discussed.
Predictable findings.
Orienting response only occurs to novel or powerful environmental changes, and certainly not a non-threatening anticipated event, which is why there is little arousal. Considered cognitive effort uses different brain systems to that required when a snap decision has to be made (fast vs slow thinking maybe). The emotional finding links to repeated 'questioning'. As children we go through a long period of responding to repeated questioning about an ambiguous event by changing our answer (as if the repeated question implies the first answer was wrong) and this also impacts on negative emotional state.
This all conspires to alter the nature of our attribution (i.e. the nature of the cause of an event). We have an innate tendency to attribute to the person's intent rather than to the situation, and this is accentuated by all the psychological impacts around slo-mo reviews.
What this psychobabble all means is that slo-mo biases us even further to attribute intent to a person's actions and therefore biases refereeing decisions.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I believe some refs are aware of these findings.
That is why they sometimes ask for TMO to replay at natural speed.
I would agree that technical descisions could be played as slow motion.
Contact on player should be played at natural speed.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

wellstiger wrote:I believe some refs are aware of these findings.
That is why they sometimes ask for TMO to replay at natural speed.
I would agree that technical descisions could be played as slow motion.
Contact on player should be played at natural speed.
Agree 100%. This is especially an issue around possible eye contact where a passing brush with the hand begins to look like a punch when you slow it down.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I am all in favour of TV replays however long it takes as long as the right decision is reached. Before they were introduced I can count more than 10 the times Tigers scored but were disallowed including one in an important European Quarter final scored or not scored by Alesana Tuilagi. I'm sure most loyal Tigers fans will know which one I mean.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I am happy with replays for possible foul play full stop EXCEPT no replay should be allowed in relation to a try from before the last breakdown IMO. If the ref is satisfied - as they must be, or aren't doing their job - up to that point, then all that is relevant is that last play. I utterly HATE the 'let's return to the fourth pass of twenty-seven' scenario. No foul play should be countenanced outside that frame unless it is off the ball and separate from play.
Or is that too sensible?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

jgriffin wrote:I am happy with replays for possible foul play full stop EXCEPT no replay should be allowed in relation to a try from before the last breakdown IMO. If the ref is satisfied - as they must be, or aren't doing their job - up to that point, then all that is relevant is that last play. I utterly HATE the 'let's return to the fourth pass of twenty-seven' scenario. No foul play should be countenanced outside that frame unless it is off the ball and separate from play.
Or is that too sensible?
I mostly agree, but sometimes refs see something but are not 100% and let play continue until the next stoppage, then get the TMO involved.