What if the Lions ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

What if the Lions ?

Post by rocktop51 »

The home nations have now had a Southern Hemisphere experience (apart from Scotland in Japan).

So if the Lions were being picked today who would make the squad and starting 15

Discuss :smt023
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: What if the Lions ?

Post by tigerburnie »

Definitely not Gatland or any of the Welsh coaches, or Scots or Irish for that matter. I wasn't happy with Eddie Jones appointment, but fair play to him, it's a one horse race for the Lions job now.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Pay attention at the back...........!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... lions-job/
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

I wasn't referring to the management but the players.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

tigerburnie wrote:Definitely not Gatland or any of the Welsh coaches, or Scots or Irish for that matter. I wasn't happy with Eddie Jones appointment, but fair play to him, it's a one horse race for the Lions job now.
Apart from the fact that the Lions is an anachronistic throwback to the halcyon days of amateur rugby, is a player breaker in a seasons already congested enough and is now purely a money making scheme for the organisers and sponsors, it should be consigned to the history from whence it came..... Eddie Jones has already ruled himself out hasn't he?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Roly wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Definitely not Gatland or any of the Welsh coaches, or Scots or Irish for that matter. I wasn't happy with Eddie Jones appointment, but fair play to him, it's a one horse race for the Lions job now.
Apart from the fact that the Lions is an anachronistic throwback to the halcyon days of amateur rugby, is a player breaker in a seasons already congested enough and is now purely a money making scheme for the organisers and sponsors, it should be consigned to the history from whence it came..... Eddie Jones has already ruled himself out hasn't he?
Thank you for such a considered response. I assume then that you dont watch the games or support them in any way. Whether EJ has ruled himself isn't the point. I was merely asking for a Home Nations team based on SH performances. Is it also fair to say you also disapprove of the summer tours?
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Roly wrote:
It pains me beyond words to say that I agree with the fabric of your argument... although it could benefit from a soupçon of pragmatism
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

For a touring party I'd guess

Loose Heads:
Vunipola
McGrath
Marler/Healey

Hookers:
Dylan Hartley
Jamie George
Ken Owens

Tight Heads:
WP Nel
Samson Lee
Dan Cole

Locks
Maro Itoje
Ian Henderson/Devin Toner
George Kruis
Alun Wyn Jones

Backrow
CJ Stander
Sam Warburton
Billy Vunipola
Sean O'Brian
Toby Faletau

Half Backs
Connor Murray
Ben Youngs
Owen Farrel
Johnny Sexton
Greg Laidlaw/George Ford

Centers
Manu Tuilagi
Jonathan Joseph
Jonathan Davies
Robbie Henshaw
Mark Bennett/Stuart McCloskey

Back 3
Mike Brown
Stuart Hogg
Anthony Watson
George North
Liam Williams
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

rocktop51 wrote:
Roly wrote:
Thank you for such a considered response. I assume then that you dont watch the games or support them in any way. Whether EJ has ruled himself isn't the point. I was merely asking for a Home Nations team based on SH performances. Is it also fair to say you also disapprove of the summer tours?
As a rule Roly just disapproves.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: As a rule Roly just disapproves.
Dear Ourla

I feel you should be aware that an assailant unknown with a superiority complex has hacked your account and is replying to the perfectly valid opinion of other users.

Thankyou.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

rocktop51 wrote:
Roly wrote:
You're right, I don't watch the games or support them in any way.

As for the Summer tours (and Autumn internationals if you like), you're being disingenuous. The Summer tours are played by home nations and teams are homogenous. It is the only opportunity that the home nations get to play against top opposition outside of a world cup. Ergo, they are demonstrably developmental.

The lions isn't. Whether you like it or not, rugby union is professional, it is a business, and it's players are assets - either to their clubs, or their country. The calendar is already crowded enough on a yearly basis without the potential to tire and injure a player in a (more often than not) series whupping in the SH. And don't get me started on the false bon homme of the 'fans'.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote:Whether you like it or not, rugby union is professional, it is a business
In that case you may want to read this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ussed.html

The negotiations are expected to cover all aspects of future tours, including increasing the value of television rights, ticket sales and corporate hospitality, with the emphasis on “growing the cake” so that each stakeholder receives a substantially greater financial return to reflect the ever-increasing interest in the Lions. There is expectation that a new agreement could be in place by 2015.

Under the current agreement, which expires after the tour of New Zealand in 2017, the 10-game series against Warren Gatland’s Lions squad is expected to generate at least £40million for the Australian Rugby Union, wiping out a £12.2million debt run up over the past two years.

The four Home Unions are expected to share a profit largely generated by sponsorship deals of £6million on top of £50,000 compensation for each player in the 37-man squad.

It is understood there is a desire among all parties to restructure commercial arrangements to maximise future revenues and value to raise the profile of the game in both the host country and across the world. Ticketing and corporate hospitality are key areas up for reform to increase the collective yield as the Lions do not receive any hospitality income under the existing agreement.

More than 40,000 supporters are expected to travel from the UK and Ireland for this summer’s tour and sponsorship deals alone have been the main source of income for the Lions to cover the tour cost of £14million. More than 400,000 supporters in total are expected to watch the 10 games, which includes a tour opener against Barbarians in Hong Kong, which is expected to be worth £10.4million alone.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It's going to bail out the Kiwis next year..
http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ne ... cash-boost
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote:
Roly wrote:Whether you like it or not, rugby union is professional, it is a business
In that case you may want to read this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ussed.html

The negotiations are expected to cover all aspects of future tours, including increasing the value of television rights, ticket sales and corporate hospitality, with the emphasis on “growing the cake” so that each stakeholder receives a substantially greater financial return to reflect the ever-increasing interest in the Lions. There is expectation that a new agreement could be in place by 2015.

Under the current agreement, which expires after the tour of New Zealand in 2017, the 10-game series against Warren Gatland’s Lions squad is expected to generate at least £40million for the Australian Rugby Union, wiping out a £12.2million debt run up over the past two years.

The four Home Unions are expected to share a profit largely generated by sponsorship deals of £6million on top of £50,000 compensation for each player in the 37-man squad.

It is understood there is a desire among all parties to restructure commercial arrangements to maximise future revenues and value to raise the profile of the game in both the host country and across the world. Ticketing and corporate hospitality are key areas up for reform to increase the collective yield as the Lions do not receive any hospitality income under the existing agreement.

More than 40,000 supporters are expected to travel from the UK and Ireland for this summer’s tour and sponsorship deals alone have been the main source of income for the Lions to cover the tour cost of £14million. More than 400,000 supporters in total are expected to watch the 10 games, which includes a tour opener against Barbarians in Hong Kong, which is expected to be worth £10.4million alone.
So its not purely just about revenue then.... oh, hang on....

Growing interest my backside. In any case, my point was more that the Lions isn't necessary (unless you're short of cash of course) and that the business aspect I described is more linked to player welfare/availability (those players being assets) than revenue generation.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

So its not purely just about revenue then.... oh, hang on....
It's not purely about revenue no. Lions tours have been going on since 1888 and the popularity and success have fluctuated like many things during that long history. Currently it appears to be very popular with players and fans alike.
Growing interest my backside.
Not sure how you measure "interest" but as someone who doesn't "watch the games or support them in any way." perhaps you are not the best person to judge?
In any case, my point was more that the Lions isn't necessary and that the business aspect I described is more linked to player welfare/availability (those players being assets) than revenue generation.
I see the argument that it's not necessary to the development of the individual national teams or necessarily good for player welfare though it could be argued that is good for player and coach development. I don't see the argument that it isn't necessary or beneficial in terms of the business.

Player welfare is inevitably at some loggerheads with the professional and business nature of the sport, across the board. But I would suggest if you were looking at what is commercially important the Lions tour wouldn't be the first thing to be cut in order to preserve player welfare and "the assets".