Have we hit Rock Bottom

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Have we hit Rock Bottom

Post by MrPartridge »

Apparently Rock Bottom will be 'headlining' at the Fanzone in City Ground on Sunday. :smt010

I know some will say this is technically a home game for us, but seriously is there that little imagination that we can't get another band for a European SF? Every home game is pushing it IMHO but away from Welford Road as well! Absolute rock bottom.

Perhaps they're spending the week practicing and ready to treat us all to a new set-list of songs.... or more predictably the moment everyone walks into the fanzone the drone of 'Ti-gger-eer-err-erzzz' will waft over. I appreciate traditions but every now and again breaking the mould has a lot going for it.

Or maybe Notts Forest have made the booking in a cunning deal guaranteed to boost sales at all pubs near to the City Ground.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Have we hit Rock Bottom

Post by Darc Tiger »

I think we may have hit rock bottom for things the forum complains about. :smt024
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

Ageism rears its ugly head. They have been entertaining us since 1880 :smt035 :smt035 :smt030 :smt030 :smt041
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

MrPartridge wrote:Or maybe Notts Forest have made the booking in a cunning deal guaranteed to boost sales at all pubs near to the City Ground.
No such thing. There's Notts County or Nottingham Forest. I have this on good authority, a lifelong County supporter who was most offended when I made the same mistake :smt001
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I'd much rather chat with my mates about the game over a beer, possibly watching the other games after the final whistle than listen to a ropey covers band who have inexplicably been given a job for life "entertaining" fans after each game.

They're really not that good!
BeeJay
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BeeJay »

Cagey Tiger wrote:No such thing. There's Notts County or Nottingham Forest. I have this on good authority, a lifelong County supporter who was most offended when I made the same mistake :smt001
To confuse matters even further, Notts County are in the city whilst the City Ground is in the county!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Iain, I think you do Rock Bottom a great disservice with your comments, They are great entertainers and good musicians, if you want to have a quiet drink with you mates do so in another bar. Vast majority of fans go straight home after the game but Rock Bottom have their following of 1000 or so fans who like their style, the few away supporters who stay love them, especially the French fans, so why not take them with us, why pay to have some unknowns, these guys know what our fans like?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

LE18 wrote:Iain, I think you do Rock Bottom a great disservice with your comments, They are great entertainers and good musicians, if you want to have a quiet drink with you mates do so in another bar. Vast majority of fans go straight home after the game but Rock Bottom have their following of 1000 or so fans who like their style, the few away supporters who stay love them, especially the French fans, so why not take them with us, why pay to have some unknowns, these guys know what our fans like?
Each to their own. I can't stand them.

I can tolerate their background noise, but insisting on having them play rather than have the commentary for the World Cup semi final was a mistake from the club.

I just don't think they add anything to the post match experience. I don't see why we need anything other than a space to talk, a servicing bar and screens to watch other games.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

LE18 wrote:Iain, I think you do Rock Bottom a great disservice with your comments, They are great entertainers and good musicians, if you want to have a quiet drink with you mates do so in another bar. Vast majority of fans go straight home after the game but Rock Bottom have their following of 1000 or so fans who like their style, the few away supporters who stay love them, especially the French fans, so why not take them with us, why pay to have some unknowns, these guys know what our fans like?
I've never heard them play, but I know I don't like them.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Iain, I could not agree more with you about Rock Bottom, a very average covers band indeed.

Whose car have they washed to get the undeserved residency?
Valhalla I am coming!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

but Rock Bottom have their following of 1000 or so fans who like their style
The problem I have with RB as fleabane has eloquently noted is that they have a 'residency' at the club. Frankly you could inter-change that with the word 'monopoly'.

Of course fans watch them... but what is the alternative on offer?

I've been to most other clubs and many have a different band/singer, etc each week. Some great, some average, but always different. Should we just keep the 1,000 (and I would say that is a generous estimate) fans happy and not consider alternatives?
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

I seem to remember absolute up roar when the club said they wouldnt be playing every week back when the Met Rx stand first opened (as the Cat stand)

I dont have to much of a problem with them, but then i stay in the ABC after matches so my group can chat. Would welcome so different acts now and then though.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

How much does the club pay RB?
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

absolute up roar when the club said they wouldnt be playing every week back when the Met Rx stand first opened
When did that open? Must be a good while now.

Agree with LE18... how much are they paid? Many young local bands wanting to get exposure will probably turn up and play for nothing....

Pity the Kasabian lads prefer the footy... perhaps we should invite Engelbert or Shawoddywaddy down... about the right demographic for the 'RB 1000'... :smt002
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Since many on here are free-market enthusiasts, may I point out your a free to avoid the Final Whistle? You can take your consumption where ere you rationally decide. Perhaps you should suggest an 'open-mic' format to the club. While you're at it, suggest more choice in catering and see how far you get with that as well. :smt003

As for me, I like peace and quiet (except when I want brutally loud live rock) and hate themed cover bands in general (especially ones that cover stuff that was poo in the first place like Duran Duran). Frank Zappa's son is entitled to (very ably) play his Dad's material, and I can warm to the expertise of projects like Zappatistas; I equally could look forward to a convincing Captain Beefheart early 70s covers band :smt005 , but distinctly draw the line this side of Fred Zeppelin. :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.