BT Sport / Independent- Post Match

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: BT Sport / Independent- Post Match

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="The Boy Dave"][quote]Was Burns knock on a deliberate one though? It looked to me as if he stuck out a hand to intercept the pass and not move his hand in the motion of knocking the ball down. Hope that makes sense.

I think it is stupid to penalise someone trying to intercept the ball genuinely. If someone moves their hand in a way where they are actually pushing the ball down or forward etc then yes, that's deliberate and cynical.[/quote]
It was about as deliberate a knock on as you will ever see and one we got away with. :smt003
It's a case of catch it or knock on, Burns was never catching that!
It denied Exeter a try scoring opportunity. :smt003[/quote]

Yup, as was Jess's earlier in the game.
Both teams were awarded penalties.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

I haven't seen the BT Sport coverage but interestingly in the Independent article which is happy to focus on Manu's tackles and the potential injuries to players, no mention of the tackle by Jess which in my opinion should have been a red card, I've seen them given for less!
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

That wasn't a red card at all. The new directive from World Rugby makes that clear.
Challenging players in the air - Law 10.4(i)

Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on
Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down
Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side
Red card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player lands on his head, neck or shoulder
There was clearly a contest for the ball. Judging on these guidelines it's a yellow at best. I'd still argue it was a fair challenge that he got wrong.

If you're using Jared Payne's red card against Saracens a couple of years ago then don't - that's an old interpretation.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Austin Healey isn't anti Tigers at all, maybe he does go too far in that direction in order to ward off accusations of being biased but I have always found him to be completely impartial
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Are we talking about the same incident? Burns jumps to take the ball, the Exeter player, Jess, doesn't leave the ground. In the collision he starts to fall but has a hold on Burns' legs and acts as a fulcrum and Burns tips over and falls on his shoulder with his head following immediately. If Jess had let go of Burns' legs he would possibly have fallen on his side.

On the highlights clip on the Tigers' site http://www.leicestertigers.com/fans/mul ... F03%2F2016 it happens just after the 2 min mark.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

My point on Burns is that it doesn't look like he has tried to slap the ball down/forward/away. Surely sticking your hand out to catch the ball is a genuine normal reaction, is it not?
spongebillybob1
Tiger Cub

Post by spongebillybob1 »

Iain wrote:That wasn't a red card at all. The new directive from World Rugby makes that clear.

Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on
Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side
Red card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player lands on his head, neck or shoulder
There was clearly a contest for the ball. Judging on these guidelines it's a yellow at best. I'd still argue it was a fair challenge that he got wrong.

If you're using Jared Payne's red card against Saracens a couple of years ago then don't - that's an old interpretation.

Are you nuts have you actually watched the tackle. Its clearly red he lands on his neck. Actually watch before you spout rubbish
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

spongebillybob1 wrote:
Iain wrote:That wasn't a red card at all. The new directive from World Rugby makes that clear.

Are you nuts have you actually watched the tackle. Its clearly red he lands on his neck. Actually watch before you spout rubbish
Freddie Burns landed on his shoulder though I wouldn't be surprised if he had a concussion from the whiplash of his head hitting the ground.
Jess was fortunate not to get a red card
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Yup, as was Jess's earlier in the game.
Both teams were awarded penalties.
The referee didn't even give a penalty against Burns at all for the deliberate knock on.
The referee was playing an adavantage to Exeter for a previous infringement and Burns rushed up and deliberately knocked on, the ref gave nothing at all for the Burns knock on and he went back for the original penalty.
There was no penalty given against Burns!
There were repeat infringements from the defence under pressure culminating in the Burns knock on, that's why I thought he was very lucky to escape a yellow card.
The Jess knock on was not near his own try line and not another repeat infringement so they were very different circumstances.
Cheery chappy
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Last 6N weekend Auntie Beeb gave me a red button. If I pressed it I got rid of the tiresome halfwits Butler and Moore and could listen to a nice Scottish chap.

Would that BT sport could arrange a tie in with local radio,

(Bleddyn and Steve) + TV coverage - (Dayglow and Ruggy!)

Marvellous!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="The Boy Dave"][quote]Yup, as was Jess's earlier in the game.
Both teams were awarded penalties.[/quote]

The referee didn't even give a penalty against Burns at all for the deliberate knock on.
The referee was playing an adavantage to Exeter for a previous infringement and Burns rushed up and deliberately knocked on, the ref gave nothing at all for the Burns knock on and he went back for the original penalty.
There was no penalty given against Burns!
There were repeat infringements from the defence under pressure culminating in the Burns knock on, that's why I thought he was very lucky to escape a yellow card.
The Jess knock on was not near his own try line and not another repeat infringement so they were very different circumstances.[/quote]

Yes, but it was the same offence.Our wing had a run for the line. Jess stayed on the pitch on that occasion. He later received a yellow card - would have been different if he had been binned earlier. Swings and roundabouts...
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Why are posters worried that, for once in a while, we got the rub of the Ref? Plenty of times so far this season we have been on the other side of decisions, I'll take it any time TY :smt023
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Going back to the subject of the post in general I like the BT coverage and commentary which is much better than what Sky offer with Barnes getting an idea in his head (lots of room) and then repeating his 'point' ad nauseam for the rest of the game.

Ben is by far the best with his observations and Austin's analysis is generally correct. The banter between the two works well if you sheare that sense of humour.

Dayglow has got better with time (no longer starts every sentence with 'I ...') and Martin is good in the role of ring master.

For the record I also like Brian Moore's comments on BBC.

I'll get me coat.... :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Fatty Barnes in today's Times (yes I pay up for it but voluntarily unlike my forced payment to the Beeb) suggesting that poor, young Fordy's dip in form and general malaise is all the fault of...

Benny Youngs!

Does Ben play for Baarrff as well now? You couldn't make it up.

(I don't mind Mooreo's commentary either, but his commentating mate is as boring as he was as a
(poorish) player.)
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

BIttySmalls wrote:I think I may have calmed down a little since yesterday however it would be interesting to know if anyone else was fuming at the post match coverage? We had just beaten the 2nd placed side with a TBP and they only wanted to discuss how hard done by Exeter were.

Then to read this drivel just added to frustration:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugb ... 15906.html

Like most supporters I wear Tigers tinted spectacles from time to time however (and I don't like using the term) a media bias against us really does seem to be happening.

I don't know, maybe I am overreacting after the frustration of letting them back into it yesterday.
I just read that article. What a load of utter :censored: How Someone gets paid for writing that miss mash of words formed into tripe is shocking. No mention of that line out try or our utter domination in the first half. To comment on two fully legal tackles, which got the crowd to its feet ( yes mr independent tripe writer, it's a spectator sport) in such negative terms is bizzare. Anti tigers garbage, and I like Bltty smalls have rose tinted glasses but even I can see this is biased and anti in the extreme.
There is never any points for 2nd place...