Team vs Exeter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Re: Team vs Exeter

Post by maroontrunks »

Old Hob wrote:Saracens lost and Saints are 4th pushing us into 5th. Exeter will go 1st if they win - we will get 4th back if WE win. With old Tigers coming back (Parling et al) and their record here, Exeter will be positive about a win and we have chopped and changed our back line again giving no continuity . Another pair of centres with no match time together!
We'll actually leapfrog Wasps into 3rd place if we win. If we get a bonus point then we'll only be 4 points behind Exeter, though let's not forget our next two fixtures are against Wasps and Saracens. Tigers cannot afford to be complacent!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote:Ewers doesn't play lock.
Fair point. For some reason I was thinking about 3 years behind with Lawes at 6. S'pose they need more than 3 players who can play lock in the squad!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Old Hob wrote:Saracens lost and Saints are 4th pushing us into 5th. Exeter will go 1st if they win - we will get 4th back if WE win.
We will be 3rd if we win.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Any news on JDV? we so need a settled centre partnership, going to be a physical match so think it's a good decision to bench Veainu, need a massive game from Thacker, scrum will need to hold its own, pens in this area will give Exeter field position and opportunities to get their pack rumbling around our line. Going to be a tight game, 3 points either way.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Wig sitting next to Cohen? On the way back to WR?
Valhalla I am coming!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Considering the teams I think we can be pretty happy with the result, just a shame we let them back into the game
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

kpj tiger wrote:Considering the teams I think we can be pretty happy with the result, just a shame we let them back into the game
Tigers still seem incapable of concentrating for 80 mins.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Another good 60 minutes from Tigers. Invention and pace. Hope Marcos is OK for next week. The scrum just dies without him. Great to see the Williams back as well

Loved the long line out routine as much for the celebration as for the try.

We were so so so lucky with the referee. Chiefs must be beside themselves. Could (and should?) have had three off the park at one time with Burns and Fitz joining Dom......Homer? On our side for once? Plus Williams lack of arms in the tackle.

I don't know how I feel about that one, Glad we won. Relieved to see some big names back. Frustrated that we didn't maintain the gap. Annoyed at the lack of discipline.

I think there's an overriding sympathy from BT sport for Chiefs and we cheated our way to a win again?

Makes me a bit disgruntled.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Good thing we have practiced playing for 60 minutes cos 80 is just too much. Well done Thacker on MOTM.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Big Dai wrote: I think there's an overriding sympathy from BT sport for Chiefs and we cheated our way to a win again?

On the contrary, I'm delighted if Dayglo is upset!

Great 5 points; great 60 minutes; Thacker only gets away with it at hooker if he has 2 great props either side - he simply has to convert to 7; Carley deserves the freedom of the city; can't wait for next week!

Hope we keep Manu - can't put him to England for 20 minutes just in case a first minute injury requires him to do 79!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Congrats Tigers!! I am away in Ludlow and could find nowhere to watch so delighted to see result!!

Opportunity taken and up in to third as hoped.

Disappointed to see we let a big lead slip again as with Not Nots though.

Would have taken this before start though.

Ref helpful then??
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

The first game I have missed for ages but was able to watch it on the box.

Great for 60 minutes then we took off Logo and the next minute we got pushed off the ball.
The resulting points for Exeter were all because the pack, reinforced from the
bench were decidedly inferior. Balmain was the first change and was poor in the set piece.
If Rowntree is coming back as forwards coach I will be delighted because if the
second eight is so poor we just can't use them as they are. Especially in a tight game.
Thacker was OK with the heavy pack around him but with weaker props the whole is
weakened.
Still a bonus point win is very welcome. Onwards and upwards
As my old friend Bill would say. Keep the faith
A life long Tiger
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Same here.. a lot of mixed feelings.

I think we should have let Exeter drive maul into the corner, kept 15 on the field and got on with the game.

Some of our play was excellent. Our scrum was mullered in that second half.

To get a try BP win under the circs should be satisfying.

Mmmmmm....
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

That is a great win but I thought Exeter should've had a penalty try and both Fitzgerald and Burns were very lucky to stay on the field compared to how harshly Exeter were treated by the referee.
In fairness Exeter were robbed a few weeks ago by Sarries, they should be top of the pile right now.
The Leicester scrum was useless, two world class props and no grunt whatsoever against Exeter's second string and both props looked shot after about 25 minutes, they were absolutey smashed right in front of me on several occasions in the second half, never seen anything like it at this level and they ultimately won't win a thing with a set piece like that.
Exeter came to play and Leicester mostly lived off Exeter errors today in my view.
Definitely had a 16th and 17th man today!
Last edited by The Boy Dave on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheery chappy
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote:
Big Dai wrote: I think there's an overriding sympathy from BT sport for Chiefs and we cheated our way to a win again?

On the contrary, I'm delighted if Dayglo is upset!

Great 5 points; great 60 minutes; Thacker only gets away with it at hooker if he has 2 great props either side - he simply has to convert to 7; Carley deserves the freedom of the city; can't wait for next week!

Hope we keep Manu - can't put him to England for 20 minutes just in case a first minute injury requires him to do 79!
Thacker did fine right up to the point Brugnara came on. Then the scrum fell apart. Even when Mulipola and VV were on we still went backwards. Sod all to do with Thacker our scrum suffered because our 5th choice loosehead was on the field.

The Fitz decision Carley reviews and seems to decide he's bound at the ruck when the ball is lifted out and so not offside. For Burns, Carley clearly blows the whistle just before the deliberate knock on to ping for offside. Hence Freddie not being carded.

Shame Dayglo felt the need to listen to his own voice for five minutes than actually offer any game analysis. It was an entertaining game.