Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: England: the Journey continues!

Post by Roly »

MurphysLaw wrote:
welshy08 wrote:Seems to be the way of English rugby supporters and their rugby journalists these days, to talk all other home nations down, both for their performances during the World Cup and now during the Six Nations? I realise rugby is a professional sport both on and off the pitch these days, but do you all have to behave like you work in the RFU PR department?

For the record,I thought that Wales played pretty well, and while he didn't offer much in attack, Jamie Robert's defence was top notch.
I thought Ireland v Wales was the best 'spectacle' of the weekend.

But, in reality what you saw is one team much reduced in strength and lacking continuity play with endeavour against another team that could have bashed away all day at their counterparts with (their only) Plan A, but not taken control of the match.

A draw was the correct result. Neither team were 'superior'. I don't buy that the Welsh have the best backs in the competition either, if those French boys click, they're easily the best. Even misfiring, they were terrifying at times V Italy. And believe me, they'll click at some point.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

It was interesting to note the commentators picking up on Roberts' habit of coming up out of the line when in defence to make the big hit. A habit of Manu's that's frequently criticised.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

loretta wrote:It was interesting to note the commentators picking up on Roberts' habit of coming up out of the line when in defence to make the big hit. A habit of Manu's that's frequently criticised.
And easily exploited, whoever uses it as a tactic. Wales looked lost whenever Ireland chipped over Roberts - because there wasn't anyone there.
Last edited by Roly on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Roly wrote:
loretta wrote:It was interesting to note the commentators picking up on Roberts' habit of coming up out of the line when in defence to make the big hit. A habit of Manu's that's frequently criticised.
And easily exploited, whoever uses it as a tactic.
Quite right, Roberts was just lucky the Irish didn't make him look a fool
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

welshy08 wrote:Seems to be the way of English rugby supporters and their rugby journalists these days, to talk all other home nations down, both for their performances during the World Cup and now during the Six Nations? I realise rugby is a professional sport both on and off the pitch these days, but do you all have to behave like you work in the RFU PR department?
As someone with a foot in both camps there is a huge Celtic bias to the BBC coverage and opinion.
That applies both internationally and at club level.
Tigers v Saints (the biggest league game in domestic rugby) gets a minor mention on East Midlands news yet on the same day the national BBC news gives out the the result of Leinster's game who aren't even in Britain!

England will only get a mention in the build up to the Wales game or when they lose. France & Italy will get no mention at all. Ireland are the darlings of the press at present with Wales and Scotland just behind.