Quarter finals for the ECC.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Quarter finals for the ECC.

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tigerbeat wrote:Looks like they are rewarding any away win in the quarters with home country advantage in the semis.
Fair enough! Our task is simply to win the next 4 European Games!

:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Still keeping the faith!
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

By my reckoning if we get through a quarter final, which we should at home we are very likely to face Racing 92, wether we are 2nd or 3rd seeds. Wherever that is played I fear it may be a game too far at this moment in the teams development
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Gramps wrote:By my reckoning if we get through a quarter final, which we should at home we are very likely to face Racing 92, wether we are 2nd or 3rd seeds. Wherever that is played I fear it may be a game too far at this moment in the teams development
Agree. If Sarries do not do something silly they should get top seeding, and then the only contenders for seeds 2 and 3 would be Tigers and Racing. Unless Sarries slip up and we get top seed, we would very likely get one of them if we got through to the semis.
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

Crazy that a side who win all their games, seeded 1 and who win their home QF could then play away in the SF by dint of the away team in the other quarter final winning.

Them's the rules and they are what they are, but I would always give the highest ranked team the advantage they have earned.

If you are seeded 8th then you need to win away every time from then on in my view.

Anyway after a few barren seasons I am looking forward to a home QF against whoever we get, anything else just a bonus.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

TigerintheCatStand wrote:Crazy that a side who win all their games, seeded 1 and who win their home QF could then play away in the SF by dint of the away team in the other quarter final winning.

Them's the rules and they are what they are..............
Except they aren't the rules.

Seeds 1 & 2 get a home Semi, it's the 3rd seed that doesn't.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It says "home country advantage" - does that mean you are at your home ground or that you can play at another ground in your own country or something else?
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

ourla wrote:It says "home country advantage" - does that mean you are at your home ground or that you can play at another ground in your own country or something else?
Not sure you can play on your own ground, but if you were lucky there are sometimes alternative stadiums not a million miles from their home grounds.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
Gramps wrote:By my reckoning if we get through a quarter final, which we should at home we are very likely to face Racing 92, wether we are 2nd or 3rd seeds. Wherever that is played I fear it may be a game too far at this moment in the teams development
Agree. If Sarries do not do something silly they should get top seeding, and then the only contenders for seeds 2 and 3 would be Tigers and Racing. Unless Sarries slip up and we get top seed, we would very likely get one of them if we got through to the semis.

KEEP THE FAITH!!

One game at a time!
Still keeping the faith!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

ourla wrote:It says "home country advantage" - does that mean you are at your home ground or that you can play at another ground in your own country or something else?
Neither really - the ECC (not the club) get to decide a venue normally not too distant from your home ground, in your 'home' country - assuming they are using the model from the old H Cup
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Pride Park or the City Ground are venues being batted around in the event that Tigers get a home semi......as I heard.

Editted. :smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tigerbeat wrote:Pride Park or the City Ground are quarter final venues being batted around in the event that Tigers get a home semi......as I heard.
Ahem! Semi final venues. Quarter final venue is Welford Road!
Still keeping the faith!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:Pride Park or the City Ground are quarter final venues being batted around in the event that Tigers get a home semi......as I heard.
Ahem! Semi final venues. Quarter final venue is Welford Road!
And the small matter of likely needing 5 points from the game on Sunday comes into frame before that too
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

All out attack then for me. Go for the 4 tries. Fair enough we might conceed a couple but as long as we score more than them we'll be reet!!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Grimlish wrote:
TigerintheCatStand wrote:Crazy that a side who win all their games, seeded 1 and who win their home QF could then play away in the SF by dint of the away team in the other quarter final winning.

Them's the rules and they are what they are..............
Except they aren't the rules.

Seeds 1 & 2 get a home Semi, it's the 3rd seed that doesn't.
Not quite. If the away team in either quarter final not involving 1 & 2 wins then they get home country advantage in the semi, no matter who they are playing.
Pinot Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pinot Tiger »

The semi stuff is a little odd to say the least. We can only finish in the top 3, but we will have to be in the top 2 for a chance at a home country semi. If we finish 3rd (or even for the 4th placed side) there is no chance we or they get a 'home' semi. Those pesky Rules simply don't allow it. The teams finishing the leagues in 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th, have a chance of a 'home' semi. That has got to be bonkers surely?
That is why we must go all out on Sunday and try to secure top 2 berth.
To Toulouse and beyond...