Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:51 am
Roly wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:21 am My biggest complaint is around when people start slow clapping the officials, on or off the pitch. Participation is one thing, disrespect is quite another.
Doesn't a slow handclap tend to take place when the officials are taking an age over a TMO decision or there are multiple scrum resets? Seems appropriate more often than not.
It depends upon whether the people clapping could do a better job. I don't know any of them, but they couldn't.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:53 am
Roly wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:21 am My biggest complaint is around when people start slow clapping the officials, on or off the pitch. Participation is one thing, disrespect is quite another.
Doesn't a slow handclap tend to take place when the officials are taking an age over a TMO decision or there are multiple scrum resets? Seems appropriate more often than not.
It depends upon whether the people clapping could do a better job. I don't know any of them, but they couldn't.
So you only criticise people when you could do a better job. Do me a favour Roly you are one of the most critical people on the forum!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:58 am

So you only criticise people when you could do a better job.
To be fair, I've trodden in better performances than Saturday's effort by Tigers.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:01 pm

To be fair, I've trodden in better performances than Saturday's effort by Tigers.
That's the spirit.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:19 pm
Roly wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:01 pm
That's the spirit.
No, that's the truth...... :smt023
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

For me, I like to concentrate and watch the game, joining in cheering when it gets exciting, the constant row and singing of ridiculous songs at football matches drives me up the wall!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

LE18 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:22 pm For me, I like to concentrate and watch the game, joining in cheering when it gets exciting, the constant row and singing of ridiculous songs at football matches drives me up the wall!
There's a balance I think.

As has been said, the atmosphere at Welford Rd can be like a morgue. You go some places like The Gardens, Kingsholm, Sandy Park or The Rec and its a great buzz.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Maybe Roly, but that "When the Saints" drives me up the wall, I think that is the only noise at the gardens, and as for Sandy Park, that b.......y wailing even more excruciating!
Please let us watch, analyse and comment to our mates on the good or not so good play and cheer like hell when the play warrants it. TIGERS!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Oh dear something's wrong I find myself agreeing with Roly. I often move to the Holland & Barrett stand at halftime as it is easier to get to my table in the Final Whistle for the end of the match and I have to say it is far more genteel in there than it is in the Crumbie . Friends who sit in the centre of that stand tell me that when it was first built and they were seated in a similar position to their old seats in the Members Stand they received black looks when they shouted support for the team. I understand it's better now but still not Crumbie'ish. It has long been said we at Tigers need a song to get us going, maybe with all the Australian connections we should go for Waltzing Matilda anything except When the Saints or Mighty Quin would do.
On a more serious note the seniors objecting to young people wearing hats and actually laying hands on them are guilty of disgraceful behaviour (assuming the facts are as written on this thread) and the stewards should have dealt with it at the time.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

LE18 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:42 pm Maybe Roly, but that "When the Saints" drives me up the wall, I think that is the only noise at the gardens, and as for Sandy Park, that b.......y wailing even more excruciating!
Hearing yourself think is important, but how anyone supporting a club that has recourse to but one monotone, funereal and repetitive 'chant' .... 'Tigers'..... 'Tigers' can feel comfortable criticising the atmos at other clubs escapes me....
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ourla wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 am
mightymouse wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:17 am The area of the terrace I Stand on rarely has any issues of behaviour . Although I think it would be policed by the inhabitants if there was any nonsense.

My biggest complaint about the crowd is they are far too quiet. Unless the team are dominant and scoring the crowd is all but silent. Personally I find it an embarrassing disgrace to be part of it. What bit of this is a home crowd that is supposed to be the 16th man do people not understand. If people do not want to participate I cannot understand why they don't invest in BT sport and watch in the conform of a chair in front of the fire.
Could be all sorts of reasons for this:

1) We only have a couple of chants - the slow "Tigers" and the clapping "Tigers".

2) These days people want to be entertained. If they're not they don't engage.

3) People watch a lot of sport on the telly these days and so get used to not being part of or creating a stadium atmosphere.

4) Leicester people are like that.

5) Rugby supporters are not like that.

6) People are too busy drinking, eating, on their smartphone.

7) Ageing audience.

8) Stadium design.

Not sure it's changeable.
1) We only have a couple of chants - the slow "Tigers" and the clapping "Tigers".
[At my age, that's all I can master - although I can sing all the words from Mr Tambourine Man, House of the Rising Sun and anything by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich off by heart.]

2) These days people want to be entertained. If they're not they don't engage.
[It was the same at the Colosseum - what have the Romans ever given us...?!]

3) People watch a lot of sport on the telly these days and so get used to not being part of or creating a stadium atmosphere.
[I've got a 'stadium' feature on my Dolby surround thingy so that's not right! Don't know how to make it work, to be fair.]

4) Leicester people are like that.
[Semper Eadem]

5) Rugby supporters are not like that.
[Sorry...lost the thread...like what?]

6) People are too busy drinking, eating, on their smartphone.
[I can eat, drink and shout all at the same time! I do it every mealtime at home - ask Mrs Strawclearer!]

7) Ageing audience.
[Give you that one...]

8) Stadium design.
[Are you sure you're sitting the right way round on your seat...?]
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

@strawclearer,