FRU statement

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: FRU statement

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

DCat wrote:Message from the Pedants Society - shouldn't it be "abolition"? What sort of a word is "abolishment"?
I don't think abolishment is technically incorrect. Given that 'establishment' is fine for the antonym, it's weird that abolishment has fallen out of use (notwithstanding the fact that they could have wildly different etymologies but I doubt it).
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
DCat wrote:Message from the Pedants Society - shouldn't it be "abolition"? What sort of a word is "abolishment"?
I don't think abolishment is technically incorrect. Given that 'establishment' is fine for the antonym, it's weird that abolishment has fallen out of use (notwithstanding the fact that they could have wildly different etymologies but I doubt it).
Well my Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary of Reprint 1929 states that Abolishment is a rarely used word and Abolition - the act of abolishing is preferable.
However this may be in the age of Nobby, Noddy :- Quote One whose head nods from weakness, a stupid fellow; a sea-fowl -- easily taken; a four wheeled carriage with the door at the back; (possibly red with yellow mudguards).
Long live the FRU in the ABC, hopefully a Noddy free zone.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

To get back to more serious matters I note that both Ayerza and Mulipola have also scored tries. This is becoming a worrying trend
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Establishment is clearly a noun. Abolishment therefore (were it a real word) would be a place where things get abolished. Obviously therefore an abolishment is a euphemism for either the RFU HQ or the Palace of Westminster, these being the two places were things are abolished. I.e. England as a tier 1 Rugby team in the case of the former and England as a tier 1 country in the case of the latter. Happy to help.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

drc_007 wrote:To get back to more serious matters I note that both Ayerza and Mulipola have also scored tries. This is becoming a worrying trend
Agreed but do not forget Harry Thacker No.16 scoring in Paris too.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

G.K wrote:Establishment is clearly a noun. Abolishment therefore (were it a real word) would be a place where things get abolished. Obviously therefore an abolishment is a euphemism for either the RFU HQ or the Palace of Westminster, these being the two places were things are abolished. I.e. England as a tier 1 Rugby team in the case of the former and England as a tier 1 country in the case of the latter. Happy to help.
Ah, but it works as a verb, too. An/the establishment - noun. The establishment of - verb.

E.g. regarding, the archaic use of abolishment as a euphemism (or dysphemism?) or the RFU: The Abolishment (RFU) excels in the abolishment of [insert suggestion here].
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
G.K wrote:Establishment is clearly a noun. Abolishment therefore (were it a real word) would be a place where things get abolished. Obviously therefore an abolishment is a euphemism for either the RFU HQ or the Palace of Westminster, these being the two places were things are abolished. I.e. England as a tier 1 Rugby team in the case of the former and England as a tier 1 country in the case of the latter. Happy to help.
Ah, but it works as a verb, too. An/the establishment - noun. The establishment of - verb.

E.g. regarding, the archaic use of abolishment as a euphemism (or dysphemism?) or the RFU: The Abolishment (RFU) excels in the abolishment of [insert suggestion here].
I could but you wouldn't like it :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

wormus wrote:
drc_007 wrote:To get back to more serious matters I note that both Ayerza and Mulipola have also scored tries. This is becoming a worrying trend
Ah yes. Harry Thacker. The sub 13 stone, athletic, nimble front rower. Should excommunication be considered?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:

Yes you are correct of course and the answer is [the hopes of all England Rugby supporters].
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Iain wrote:
wormus wrote:
Ah yes. Harry Thacker. The sub 13 stone, athletic, nimble front rower. Should excommunication be considered?
isn't he excused and he was just pushing in a maul then tripped as he scored, showing the relevant lack of overall skill?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I know the FRU shouldn't be expected to score tries, but members are expected to turn up!

Where were they on Saturday?
Valhalla I am coming!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

fleabane wrote:I know the FRU shouldn't be expected to score tries, but members are expected to turn up!

Where were they on Saturday?
First choices, head injury, back spasm and with England. I know, excuses, excuses :smt003
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

fleabane wrote:Coles description of his antics makes me think he is a fully justified member of the FRU, and that there should be no sanctions against him for his actions.
*** After last weekends game against Wales Dan Cole was able to show his skill in keeping the ball above the ground with the help of his arm to prevent the score.
However tonight's match in Paris he showed no such skills and fell on the line thereby causing a front row score. This offence must be reported to the FRU Front Row Union within 24 hours and the necessary citing made and possible suspension.
The Front Row Union need to meet on Sunday and arrange a hearing. :smt005 :smt030
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

wormus wrote:
fleabane wrote:Coles description of his antics makes me think he is a fully justified member of the FRU, and that there should be no sanctions against him for his actions.
*** After last weekends game against Wales Dan Cole was able to show his skill in keeping the ball above the ground with the help of his arm to prevent the score.
However tonight's match in Paris he showed no such skills and fell on the line thereby causing a front row score. This offence must be reported to the FRU Front Row Union within 24 hours and the necessary citing made and possible suspension.
The Front Row Union need to meet on Sunday and arrange a hearing. :smt005 :smt030
it was against the French, therefore no sanctions needed as its not possible to break any laws playing the french
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
wormus wrote:
it was against the French, therefore no sanctions needed as its not possible to break any laws playing the french
Dan Cole's disrespect for the Front Row Union must be subject to a High Court ruling, going from 3 tries in 141 games to him scoring tries against Bath , France and today in Australia. It is against all the laws a quick ruling should be made to detain him in Sydney for 4 weeks and then appear before the FRU in the ABC Bar. :smt018
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/ ... NE_25_.JPG