Worcester v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Worcester v Tigers

Post by Spicer »

God knows how we came back from that. We were shocking.
Worcester's discipline helped us massively. they had 4 yellows, without them we would of lost badly.
However we got a bonus point win away. Take that all day long.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Banana skin avoided.......massive jailbreak...Tigers smash and grab a bonus point victory. Worcesters discipline cost them and I would have taken any win at the start. Worcester have certainly worked with the pack and have a good record at home.
Let's hope that the injury to Mike Williams is not to bad and he makes a speedy return. He has played well in all the games he has played.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Crowson tweeted Mike Williams has suspected broken arm :smt010

So cruel he has been our stand out forward this season fingers crossed for a full and swift recovery. :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Spider how can you say we would have lost badly without the Worcester indiscipline? The yellow cards were given out close to the try line. Had Wuss not committed these offences we would have scored tries. They got a big lead and kept killing our attacks which with a weaker ref may have worked. It was a scrappy game with a score line that may have flattered us but they were more flattered by the 17-0 score line at one stage.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The old adage, it's an 80 minute game and we came good when it mattered, superb result even though we faltered a bit.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Saw H-T score and was worried. Saw FT score and was pleasantly surprised. I was worried we would mess up. TBP is a bonus but Williams out will be a big miss IMO.

Wiggo a happy bunny, lets hope we get something at Munster next week! :smt005
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Just back - so a few thoughts:

1. Not our best performance, but not many will leave 6ways with TBP win
2. Wind was howling and against us 1st half
3. -ves: v lacklustre start, Williams injury, poor strategy at time (eg play the phases when 15 v 13)
4. +ves: Veainu is Jason Robinson Mark 2 and can kick, Slats/Kitch back and good heart

Second-half was 90% their end and they were indisciplined. Nice warmup for Munster but we need to kick better, start faster and be a lot more accurate to win there!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Couldn't go but never mind the emotion of luck, good or bad, for them or us, ..........as the cricketers say "If you want to know the score, look in the book"
Well done, our team. Like last weekend, clearly a much better second half than first.....
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

It was robbery TBH. Wuss could've been out of sight, we couldn't hold the ball, messed up tons of advantage and didn't convert opportunities. The first 30 was agony.

Postives
1 Veainu is a total pest and so dangerous.
2 Matt Smith - came on and strengthened the line and the resolve. Tigers fans were shouting to him to get on and sort it. He did, with a grin.
3 Owen Williams
4 Kitchener
5 Thompstone
6 Tigers bloodymindedness

Negatives
1 Every movement slowed or died with Crane or Bai.
2 MOTM for us was DOC whose red card turned the game...eventually; for me Dowson was getting away with worse...
3 Goneva seemed out of sorts, Betham not at his best and took contact when a pass was best.
4 Making a mess of advantageous lineouts etc.
5 Being conned into uncontested scrums when we had them on the ropes
6 Breakdown contest? Not like the last few weeks.

Thought Waynetta was the best of the recent refs. Didn't think I'd ever say that.

Food is good and apart from one idiot the Wuss fans were lovely.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Good end result, difficult and frustrating to watch at times though.

I couldn't see the mentality of persevering with driving mauls from line outs when Wuss weren't competing, penalties given away etc. Why not get the ball off the top quickly and run it at them, especially when they were down to 13/14 players.

Oh well, guess it doesn't matter that much following the result. Easier to accept there's still work to do when you've come away with a TBP.

:smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Pleased Matt had a good game and is being encouraged by the support.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

Great result, was never going to be easy, but very happy with TBP.

Absolutely gutted for Williams, and for us losing him
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

jgriffin wrote:It was robbery TBH. Wuss could've been out of sight, we couldn't hold the ball, messed up tons of advantage and didn't convert opportunities. The first 30 was agony.

Postives
1 Veainu is a total pest and so dangerous.
2 Matt Smith - came on and strengthened the line and the resolve. Tigers fans were shouting to him to get on and sort it. He did, with a grin.
3 Owen Williams
4 Kitchener
5 Thompstone
6 Tigers bloodymindedness

Negatives
1 Every movement slowed or died with Crane or Bai.
2 MOTM for us was DOC whose red card turned the game...eventually; for me Dowson was getting away with worse...
3 Goneva seemed out of sorts, Betham not at his best and took contact when a pass was best.
4 Making a mess of advantageous lineouts etc.
5 Being conned into uncontested scrums when we had them on the ropes
6 Breakdown contest? Not like the last few weeks.

Thought Waynetta was the best of the recent refs. Didn't think I'd ever say that.

Food is good and apart from one idiot the Wuss fans were lovely.
Very insightful as always. I was at the game, agree with all the comments. Felt it was daylight robbery that Wuss never got anything out of the game but when we played finally we looked strong. Williams injury in a massive blow, especially entering the Munster run of games with Sarries and Stains after Xmas.

Only comments that think haven't been made is that I don't think the contribution of Club Captain Ed Slater can be understated. I saw Slates at several times really talking with conviction to the players, in tight games like these, having a strong galvanising captain will really contribute to the tight slim margins.

I thought the yellow cards looked harsh from the stand but hearing the feedback from others then they did seem the right decision, I look forward to watching the TV coverage. The fact that Sir WB never wanted a replay and made a firm instant decision always seemed to me that it was irrefutable.

Overall, the fact that after a poor performance that I'm still sitting here looking at Tigers with a 5 Pt win says a lot. We played badly and won, Man U won league titles like that.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

I think there's a lot to like about Worcester, this year.
This is the side who came up and beat Saints in their first Premiership game.
Hard luck, Warriors and well done Tigers.
Now, for the Munstermen...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

jgriffin wrote:Thought Waynetta was the best of the recent refs. Didn't think I'd ever say that.
Barnsey looked assured, competent and usually, very well positioned to make the calls.
If you want to see ineptitude of the highest order, have a look at GG's catastrophic officiating of Wasps - Chiefs. Highlight for me was when he clearly called Yeandall for offside, Wasps took a cross field kick option, believing there was a penalty, advantage, their winger was taken out in the air and, in spite of several replays, he awarded Chiefs a line out.
:smt017
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man