England vs Wales - Ford dropped

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Re: England vs Wales - Ford dropped

Post by Pellsey »

I wouldn't mind being "stuck" with the best fly-half available...
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

George might have more skills but for this game, and with the centres we have picked, Faz is the right call. A 10 12 partnership of Ford and Sam would have holes. Burgess will be kept positionally correct by having Owen and Brad either side of him.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Pellsey wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:I think you and Pellsey will hopefully be surprised
It would be nice! Just as an ex-fly half, I also do like watching a fly-half who makes the right decisions and can also distribute. Fazlet has, in these areas, lots to learn.

Distribute...can someone explain to Farrell, Burgess and Barritt what this is before Saturday please :smt005

Will I completely agree with your point..that and England plan to play 10 man rugby
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

ellis9 wrote:I couldn't care less about seeing "slamming Sam" vs Jamie Roberts. I want to see England v Wales and an England win. I believe Burgess won't come out of this with anything apart from the realisation that he still isn't good enough!
:smt023
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
SarahHabgood

Post by SarahHabgood »

The Welsh may be a very divided rugby nation, see some of the examples below and the non-attendance at their surviving 4 pro clubs:

https://owenins.wordpress.com/

https://thevietgwent.wordpress.com/

but they will come at us on Saturday evening. Even without Rhys Webb, Leigh Halfpenny and Jonathan Davies.

Don't forget that Dan Biggar's kicking percentages are higher than Leigh Halfpenny, but slightly less range. I think Stuart Lancaster has panicked a little in our midfield, focussing too much on Jamie Roberts, but I still see England winning by 5-10 points.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

According to Martin Crowson,the England management have a plan for this game. Having a plan would be a drastic improvement over previous games.

Hopefully the plan involves keeping it tight in the forwards (all 9 of them).
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Pellsey wrote:According to Martin Crowson,the England management have a plan for this game. Having a plan would be a drastic improvement over previous games.

This comment just brought a picture to my mind of both Burgess and Barritt joining a rolling maul..I think we may well see that :smt023
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

I think this selection just shows how one dimensional Lancaster is as a coach is, probably the biggest game in the last four years and he picks a centre/flanker with hardly any international experience and drops the best and number one fly half for not doing much wrong. Anyone can see Englands plan it is so obvious. All the Welsh need to do is keep the ball away from Watson and Brown and edge the set plays and they could be home and dry. Where is Englands plan B? Young Henry Slade? This is where the selection of Cips, 12trees and Burrell would have kept England with an attacking spark when losing a pivotal player like Joseph. Lancaster might prove everyone wrong but the Burgess selection still stinks of RFU politics!!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JackFlashJonny wrote:What kind of Rugby fan doesn't want to see Roberts running down Burgess's channel and vice versa that is fireworks..:smt017

Why do you feel the need to state the obvious..
ellis9 wrote: All games are about the forward battle. If they don't win the ball, the backs can't do anything with it.
Farrell will never be good enough but he is a world class kicker that we cannot dispute..and Wales world class kicker is injured so that could be the difference..I would much rather have Ford out there but I can see with no Joseph why they have done this..I think you and Pellsey will hopefully be surprised
Why do I need to state the obvious? You're the one that said this:

Hopefully he will prove you wrong and if not it is all about the forward battle anyway..
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Pellsey wrote:According to Martin Crowson,the England management have a plan for this game. Having a plan would be a drastic improvement over previous games.

I remember an interview where Tony Underwood had a plan as to how to deal with Lomu.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think Faz will be kicking high up and unders for the welsh centres to drop, with Brown chasing them down, or cross kicking for our wingers and with Burgess and Barritt to tackle anything the welsh try to do down the middle.
Suspect we will be hoping for many penalties for Faz to knock over, certainly this is the best part of his limited game. :smt012
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

JackFlashJonny wrote:What kind of Rugby fan doesn't want to see Roberts running down Burgess's channel and vice versa that is fireworks..:smt017

They're commonly referred to as "Rugby Union Fans". There are a few on this forum
:smt040
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

A plan? What plan is that - a bit of crash ball, then side to side - are they hoping the Welsh will eventually fall asleep and Brown then scores a breakaway try from 80 yards?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

G.K wrote:

A plan? What plan is that - a bit of crash ball, then side to side - are they hoping the Welsh will eventually fall asleep and Brown then scores a breakaway try from 80 yards?
England often have plans,the issue generally has been the absence of an alternative if it doesn't work!
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Maybe its the plan they used to beat a full strength Wales at Twickenham last year 29 to 18, and outscoring them by two tries to zero ?

With Farell at 10 and Burrell at 13 that day.